Ultimate Mapping Resource Pack

Ultimate Mapping Resource Pack 2014-11-06

EntranceJew

L1: Registered
Dec 8, 2015
Ah, interesting situation there. It is originally an HL2 material, but the TF content has a new VTF that the HL2 VMT then uses. Almost looks like they just ran it through a posterize filter with some manual blending.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98931/pics/hl2mw3a.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98931/pics/tf2mw3a.jpg

Maybe I need to look for more TF2-vtfs-used-for-HL2-vmts to keyword... that sound time consuming.

I'm bringing this back from a couple pages ago because I wrote a script that can parse VMF files and root around in certain properties / tags as lua structures. It's not 100% and there's probably a VMF out there that can break it, but with vmf.lua I was able to dump all the instances of each material in ctf_2fort_d.vmf with a count. More accurately, it's the value of every key named "material" but it could be refined to only allow from parents of solids and the sort. It could very likely be made into some sort of service but I thought I'd share because it could be useful for scanning for things.

I was putting together a repo for these files along with fixes for the last couple pages but I'm not so sure how useful that would be if it had to be baked down into an installer with .vpks. Having a repo would make it a little easier to collaborate fixes, though.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Is it possible to make bot_generator and bot_action_point look like path_track? I want to figure out the tr_target paths.

EntranceJew

Dec 8, 2015
Is it possible to make bot_generator and bot_action_point look like path_track? I want to figure out the tr_target paths.
You can!

For reference, this is the original path_track FGD entry from base.fgd:
Code:
@PointClass base(Targetname, Parentname, Angles) cylinder(255 255 255, targetname, target, radius, targetname, targetname, radius) color(255 192 0) size(16 16 16) = path_track :
Where "target" is the name of the next node and radius is the line width

For bot_generator, you have to change its line in tf.fgd from this:
Code:
@PointClass base(Targetname, Angles) = bot_generator :
To this:
Code:
@PointClass base(Targetname, Angles) cylinder(255 255 255, targetname, action_point, 0, targetname, targetname, 0) color(255 192 0) size(16 16 16) = bot_generator :
Because you added this cylinder(), you have to add size() and color() otherwise the original cube will be invisible.

For bot_action_point, you would change its line in tf.fgd from:
Code:
@PointClass base(Targetname) sphere(desired_distance) = bot_action_point :
To this:
Code:
@PointClass base(Targetname) sphere(desired_distance) cylinder(255 255 255, targetname, next_action_point, desired_distance, targetname, targetname, desired_distance) color(255 192 0) size(16 16 16) = bot_action_point :

Here you can use the sphere desired_distance as the radius, but it might be easier to set it to 0 instead.

bVwVR3l.png

I don't know if this really helps much, but hopefully it gives you an idea of what to change. I don't know how to safely overload these in tf-abs.fgd without providing duplicate definitions.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
I could have sworn that the cylinder part was for the helper shape that shows when the entity is selected.

SparkyShock

L3: Member
Feb 6, 2016
I have a problem with the blue spawn doors.
When i try to place them, it just places a normal entity.
Please help

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
I have a problem with the blue spawn doors.
When i try to place them, it just places a normal entity.
Please help

Why post that here? We have a mapping questions and discussions section for that. Doors in TF2 are handled with brush entities, not point entities. You will need an entity to act as the physical representation of the door, but the actual door is an invisible brush. Learn about them on the VDC, here.

radarhead

Basically? Kind of a Huge Mess
aa
Mar 6, 2013
Why post that here? We have a mapping questions and discussions section for that. Doors in TF2 are handled with brush entities, not point entities. You will need an entity to act as the physical representation of the door, but the actual door is an invisible brush. Learn about them on the VDC, here.
I think they're saying that the door prefabs seem to be placing as point entities rather than brushes and triggers. I think that's related enough.

SparkyShock

Feb 6, 2016
I think they're saying that the door prefabs seem to be placing as point entities rather than brushes and triggers. I think that's related enough.
yeah thats what i mean. The prefab doesnt work with blue doors. Only red. so i was asking for help fixing it or something

RavenStryker

Former Alias: †Blade†/Xi.Cynx
aa
Nov 25, 2008
yeah thats what i mean. The prefab doesnt work with blue doors. Only red. so i was asking for help fixing it or something
Look at the properties for the red door, make sure the blue door is named the same, then just change the skin number to make it blue.

SparkyShock

Feb 6, 2016
ok, i found it.
Place a red door and edit the entire thing to "filter_blue"
I would of never thought of that, im a starting mapper so thanks for your help

Uncle Lance

Feb 19, 2016
good stuff, but
when i'm opening the gametype library there is nothing in it
even checked my VisGroups and there is also nothing in that

Simulacron

L-3: Simulated Member
aa
Feb 17, 2016
I'm sorry if this questions already has been asked. My questions are:

1. What means this phrase exactly?
IMPORTANT: The "Material Browser" improvements necessitate overriding some of the default materials. This may cause problems when playing on pure Servers!

Edit: Solved 2. If this problem appears, is there a possiblility do uninstall the pack? (I just want to make sure, before I have to reinstall tf2)

Edit Solved: 3. Is it possible to install the pack, if you use the hammer version out of the tf2 folder?

Thanks in advanced.

Last edited:

Bogdy

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 13, 2014