FloofCollie

I really suck!
aa
Nov 5, 2016
FIRST QUESTION
Okay, so, first off: I've seen 3kliksphillip's video on soundscapes, and they've worked in the past for me.
I've only ever used them by placing them as prefabs from A Boojum Snark's Soundscapes library, and I noticed they often have one to four info_targets grouped with them.
What is this for?

Also, I made a map today where I inserted one through the previously mentioned prefabs library. I selected the gorge.outside soundscape and its radius is set to -1, so it should play whenever I see it. I've put it above the Control Point, where you can always see it.

But it never plays. The map's not leaking and I always have direct line of sight to the soundscape and info_target, so why might it not be playing?

SECOND QUESTION
Is there any way to make displacements pass-through, like a fake wall (so, all entities can pass straight through them)? I'm trying to make a small gravel pile without it interfering with gameplay.
When I tried making it a func_brush with solidity off, Hammer refused to compile the map.

Thanks in advance! ^^

Yabayabayaba

L5: Dapper Member
Jun 2, 2016
The info_targets are for specific noises. Check https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/List_of_TF2_Soundscapes to see what noises are assigned to what values for your soundscape. These additional noises are sounds you want from a specific spot, a pond or piece of machinery. I have no idea why it doesn't play, i have had similar problems, but it could be related to a compile setting if i had to guess. For the second question I know displacements hate being entities, do that wont work. Perhaps if you got a non solid texture and applied it to the offending displacement. You may have to make your own non solid textures to make it look good (I don't think there are many options), i can't help you with that.

ics

http://ics-base.net
aa
Jun 17, 2010
You can make displacements pass-throughable if you go to their settings (where you elevate them etc) and check no collision.

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
The info_targets are used for specific sounds in the soundscape file for sound to be heard from (as they're connected in the env_soundscape entity). For example, you can use the 2fort.Underground soundscape and use one of the targets and position numbers to have a console generate a printer sound.

Also, Soundscapes might be case sensitive. Try Gorge.Outside instead

As for the second question, you can disable collision on displacements by checking the No Hull Collision checkbox.

Edit: Damn! Ninja'd by two people!