The Saxxy Awards Are Almost Here!

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Badwater D
Uhhh. No.</scout>
That should have been disqualified immediately. Something rendered in a 3D suite is not at all suited for the contest sprouted out of an in-game recording system, aside from the fact it looked like shit because nobody can properly replicate the TF2 lighting algorithm.

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
Valve's habit of forgetting rules to let good stuff through is a double-edged sword. On the plus side, impressive stuff like Manor gets recognised, even though it doesnt fit strictly inbetween the lines. On the negative, people who do good work within the rules lose out big time, particularly if they would have done something better if it hadn't been, you know, breaking the rules. (Void and The Suburban Guys and Trinity, for example).

Next contest, will this disregard for the rules lead to stretching them to the point of uselessness?

I dont mean to be a "Stop Having Fun" guy, but if you must set rules, follow through on them.

If only valve had some sort of place to show off impressive community things outside contests. Like some sort of semi-regularly updated webpage. Someone should tell them about that.

Feb 14, 2008
Valve's habit of forgetting rules to let good stuff through is a double-edged sword. On the plus side, impressive stuff like Manor gets recognised, even though it doesnt fit strictly inbetween the lines. On the negative, people who do good work within the rules lose out big time, particularly if they would have done something better if it hadn't been, you know, breaking the rules. (Void and The Suburban Guys and Trinity, for example).

Sounds like a band name.

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
Badwater D recorded parts of the levels with the Replay Editor, then the movie was edited by putting animated models over it. That's not really too different to e.g. the editing done to Saxton's Six if you ask me. Then again that argument would lead to people just recording a black screen as Replay and then putting a full 3d animation over it

I didn't like Badwater D either though because it just looked bad

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
it just looked bad

It did how on earth it won I have no idea. I voted for a different one because of that.

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
Badwater D followed all the rules.

It used custom animations made in Maya, imported into a TF2 match and then recorded in game using the Replay editor, which is what the rules stated. The rules said custom content was permitted (excluding copyrighted music), so it didn't break any conditions.

Like the winner of Best 30 Seconds award, he used custom animations for the faces to lip-sync the voices and filmed it in the Replay editor, so they're both the same.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Yeah. Pretty sick of people who say Badwater D broke the rules. Try reading the rules.

It's fair to not like it otherwise.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
The thing that bothered me about badwater d was that several of the animations looped, all be it between different classes, i saw one animation 3 times between the scout, soldier and i think the spy. Besides the fact that it just looked bad in general.

The reason why i don't think it meets the criteria is that the focus was not on the Replay feature but the animation recorded in a third party software. You could argue that it's no different from the 2d animation thrown into so many of the commercial entries but i think there is a big difference; those entries featured content that used the replay tool. badwater d looks like it was an out sourced (no pun intended) animation slapped ontop of a few demo clips.

You can argue technicalities and loop holes but it's clear from just looking at the video clip it does not feature the replay tool like you would imagine it to. All the work was done elsewhere.

Last edited:

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
If all the class animations in Badwater D were actually rendered through the replay system and not a 3D suite, then it still sucks and shouldn't have won because he put no effort into recording them in even REMOTELY similar lighting conditions. They all look flat and dark and feel like they were not rendered in the game.

Jun 19, 2009
If all the class animations in Badwater D were actually rendered through the replay system and not a 3D suite, then it still sucks and shouldn't have won because he put no effort into recording them in even REMOTELY similar lighting conditions. They all look flat and dark and feel like they were not rendered in the game.

This was the thing I hated about it as well. I keep saying that the lighting is totally off, but others keep telling me it was the style. I'm arguing that he was too lazy to get the lighting just right.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
The animations themselves for it didn't seem very natural at all either, thats what bugged me the most. It takes the sniper 40seconds to knock the huntsman, the scout basically stumbles into his swing against the spy.

At least now its clear why it won "Players Choice. A.k.a Most contreversial"

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Sounds like a band name.

Speaking as That Guy who says that all the time and actually keeps a list, I think just "The Suburban Guys" is much better. Or "The Suburban Void" for an emo band. (Opening for Pathetic Fallacy. I said I had a list.)

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
The animations themselves for it didn't seem very natural at all either, thats what bugged me the most. It takes the sniper 40seconds to knock the huntsman, the scout basically stumbles into his swing against the spy.

At least now its clear why it won "Players Choice. A.k.a Most contreversial"

Drunk Fortress 2