The new Steam UI

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
I sure hope they do the same when it comes to HTML motds. I'd trust an internal stripped-down feature-disabled bunch of webkit over a direct IE reuse.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
I really really like it. I don't find it dumbed down or hard to navigate like a lot of people are. I think they just don't like change.
The ruining of MW2 was a bummer but I can force steam games to download in bandwidth-free via my ISP's servers so it's just a minor annoyance.
You just need to vertify the files (some will fail) then it will redownload the missing ones.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Anyone else getting problems with the regular overlay UI?

I was playing DoW2 earlier and clicking the steam chat to talk constantly minimised the game (the whole point of having the overlay is to prevent the need for this!?!).

The Gentlemanne

L4: Comfortable Member
Jun 18, 2009
it makes the chat rooms look terribad.

Spammish

L3: Member
Jan 2, 2010
Was just typing a post for here a in the in-game browser about how fast it was and how much better the in-game UI is, it glitched a couple of times and then it crashed my computer, it's much better, has the time, steam news, achievements but it has some serious stability issues.
Edit: You can't currently copy text in the browser.

PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
I'm sold on it, if just because of the new in-game overlay. So awesome now.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I'm fine with the change I think its great that steam has so many people using it and a 200% growth in 12 months is amazing news. it really throws into question whether any other company can even attempt to come close to what steam is and has been for the last near-decade.

The games list that's more reminiscent of the old one is the one I'm using, its simply the most functional. there wasn't anything wrong with the old one, so making one that's nearly the same seems a no-brainer. If they let you have icons again instead of bars that's even better.

Regarding to every other change I can't really see anything that's been done worse than the previous so no complaints from me, I'll happily accept a change every few years.

I will say that there is just a teensy tiny problem of space wasting, its like they all have 20 billion inch monitors and don't care about a toolbar being a thousand pixels tall. They could learn something from google chrome.

Angry_Ed

L1: Registered
May 25, 2009
I like it for the most part. I know it's still in beta so I don't really have issues with the numerous technical problems that will eventually be ironed out (I hope). I actually like all the different ways to view the games library now though I do miss having the favorites/regular easy separation instead of just choosing to view all your games or just the favorites.

Aside from that though I really like how it looks, and viewing the games library in details mode sort of gives me an Xbox 360 Dashboard vibe and I always liked that interface.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
They'd better let us use the old one as a skin.

Numerous

L4: Comfortable Member
Oct 14, 2009
Chrome FTW....for me its working for me but not for other people
I prefer chrome to firefox, but I often use firexfox anyways because chrome is kinda glitchy.

Also, I agree with the above post.

Possibly one of the worst things Valve has done... They dumbed down everything, and I hate the way the tabs are organized now. Movies autoplay when I don't want to when I'm browsing the store, and last of all it ruined Modern Warfare 2 for me... I cant even open it, reinstall, or delete it.
Penance for your crimes. Shouldn't of bought MW2. I resisted temptation, although the fact that COD4 doesnt run on my computer may have had something to do with it.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2009
I'm fine with the change I think its great that steam has so many people using it and a 200% growth in 12 months is amazing news. it really throws into question whether any other company can even attempt to come close to what steam is and has been for the last near-decade.

The games list that's more reminiscent of the old one is the one I'm using, its simply the most functional. there wasn't anything wrong with the old one, so making one that's nearly the same seems a no-brainer. If they let you have icons again instead of bars that's even better.

Regarding to every other change I can't really see anything that's been done worse than the previous so no complaints from me, I'll happily accept a change every few years.

I will say that there is just a teensy tiny problem of space wasting, its like they all have 20 billion inch monitors and don't care about a toolbar being a thousand pixels tall. They could learn something from google chrome.

First of all: Google
Secondly: I dont want a list of games on the left side of the screen, and then have it really slowly load when I select the game title. I honestly don't care about my latest achievements especially since most source games you can achievement farm anyway, so stats are basically useless... For example, I had a friend who survived for 21 minutes on the terminal for l4d1... then i realized, "Oh wait, he has a server. He just totally used admin powers to noclip where zombies can't get him!"

So honestly.... It is a huge waste of space to have the stats there when all I need is a list of games. I also don't like the heading / new tabs... which are not even real tabs anymore.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
First of all: Google
Secondly: I dont want a list of games on the left side of the screen, and then have it really slowly load when I select the game title. I honestly don't care about my latest achievements especially since most source games you can achievement farm anyway, so stats are basically useless... For example, I had a friend who survived for 21 minutes on the terminal for l4d1... then i realized, "Oh wait, he has a server. He just totally used admin powers to noclip where zombies can't get him!"

So honestly.... It is a huge waste of space to have the stats there when all I need is a list of games. I also don't like the heading / new tabs... which are not even real tabs anymore.

First of all: Click the 'list' icon on the top left of the library view.

secondly: oh wait, that pretty much sums up how premature you're opinions are.

Also, I'm talking about chrome's space utilization. it takes three bars at the top to do what firefox does in four and IE to do in a default of five bars.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Some people have found Mac OSX icons (for close, minimize, etc), as well as Mac code in the steam folders.
The switch to webkit over internet explorer,
And the fact that Postal 3 is said to run on the source engine and will be for Mac, windows and Linux.

Source games already run pretty smoothly on mac with a simple port (I played tf2 there before I got windows!)
There's a lot of steam games that have mac versions...

I do believe we're going to see a mac version.

Or valve is epic trolling us again.

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009

15cn1j8.png

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Is anyone else having epic framerate drops since switching to the beta? I've heard reports of it, and I seem to be suffering from it as well, although luckily I haven't experienced the memory leakage some are reporting.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
The UI beta feels a lot like the old Zune PC software, although VALVe nice'd it up. A lot.

Jun 19, 2009
secondly: oh wait, that pretty much sums up how premature you're opinions are.

Sorry, but what the hell does that mean? I know what the games tab looks like. I also know what the grid view looks like, they both suck in my opinion. I didn't insult your opinion...

I do believe we're going to see a mac version.

No, on the community forums, a valve employee was talking about making their own browser. So those mac looking icons were actually just valve made.