The Manno-Technology Bundle

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
The theme reminds me a lot of the NeoTokyo mod. If it had a multiplayer option, I'd be all over this. Seriously considering it as it is.

The TF2 items look like Valve has kicked any limits of "too futuristic" to the curb.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Here's why the shotgun is retarded. Yeah, first there is the 3 shot cap, which is like the frontier justice or whatever so it's not horrible. But the point of this gun SHOULD be to return metal at a good rate, at the risk of not getting any metal back. I.E. if it takes 60 metal to shoot it, there should be potential for AT LEAST a 150% gain of 90 metal, but it really ought ramp up to 120. It should also either have less damage but also less falloff, or base the metal gain on pellets hit or some other measure of accuracy instead of damage.

Right now the gun is focused on damage output potential, I guess if you're kritzed it's probably amazing. Also mentioned is its synergy with dispenser camping, the absolute worst way to play engie. It SHOULD be a potential source of metal, instead of a waste of it. Another possible nerf if any of my changes would be made would be to lower the amount of metal an engie wielding it gets from dispensers to 50%.

Also the electrical thingy is dumb b/c it sucks so much

PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
I personally am digging the Short Circuit. It's great for clearing sticky paths out of the way on payload maps on O as a Battleneer (especially since you're getting metal back from the cart).

Probably wouldn't use both the weapons at the same time on most maps, though, due to them both using metal and not having a fall-back if you run out.

The shotty could use some tweaks, as people have pointed out. Too high risk for not enough reward.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
I'm glad all these items were run through the beta beforehand so that the quality could be judged, and improvements made where necessary.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
It's the items that do go through the beta that worry me these days. At least a random item has the potential to fluke balance. I can't remember the last time a weapon came out the beta that didn't have to be tweaked or still need tweaking.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
Thoughts:

The Diamondback:
Best new weapon.

The Widowmaker:
Consumes too much metal to be useful. Lower the metal cost to 40, or allow it to increase your metal capacity to offset the loss you'll make with every shot.

The Short Circuit:
Great concept, bad execution. It needs a larger range (96 units would be fair). Metal consumption could stand to be lowered to, say, 5 metal per projectile destroyed. But the range is the more pressing issue.

Retroid

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 25, 2009
Widowmaker does have a use, Heavys, specifically from behind. So by doing some really crap maths; the Heavy is one of the 9 classes so 11% of the time it'll be useful - but what are the chances you can sneak up on him? Well lets be generous and say that you can approach from behind half the time(although being engy you should always be infront) so 5.5% of the time it'll be useful..

More useless than the Boston Basher.

Apr 13, 2009
But the detonators brilliant. ;)

No it's shit. Let's say the black box was taken through the beta and received the detonator's treatment, this is what it would look like :

First beta version : 4 rockets, +20HP on direct hits, +20% bullet vulnerability

People point out there are flaws and propose fixes...

Second beta version : 3 rockets, +20HP on hit

Seems to conform to player suggestions, people like it, though some express concerns that this is a little overpowered, particularly, that the soldier shouldn't be able to self-heal at all cause that's the medic's job.

Finally Added In-game !!!11 : 3 rockets, +5HP on hit

Rage.

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
It's the items that do go through the beta that worry me these days. At least a random item has the potential to fluke balance. I can't remember the last time a weapon came out the beta that didn't have to be tweaked or still need tweaking.

What beta are you talking about? The last significant TF2Beta patch was June 17th where they tweaked the Detonator (+20% blast damage taken to only self-damage), Quick-Fix (heal and charge rates down from 50% to 40%) and then Beta Syringe Gun (from applying Mad Milk effect to increasing movement speed with ubercharge). Nobody liked the Beta Syringe Gun still, absolutely nobody. It got added to the game anyway.

The beta is almost never used and if it is the feedback is never used. :I

Mar 23, 2010
only decent/good weapons in the past 3 updates: soda popper, detonator, the whip, market gardener, reserve shooter, quick fix (buffit), bison, machina, and atomizer are alright i guess. rest are boring statspam or just not very well thought out.

valve didn't seem to put much thought into ~60% of the past updates, which is pretty bad. there's still a bunch of neat weapon concepts that have been around since forever, but they continue to release mostly crap. not to mention a bunch of weapons that need balancing, but NOPE here's 3 crappy weapons and once alright sniper rifle.

valve really dropped the ball on the detonator, the bargain, and the quick fix with the beta. the whole det jump was changed and untested in the beta, along with the QF and bargain which were changed a lot. still think the height is fine on the detonator. needs less self damage.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2009
I find that the machina is really fun to use, but at the same time hard. I did manage to get a double headshot yesterday :D, but at least 5 times when I wanted to start retreating by firing a no-scoped shot, it didn't happen and I ended up dying.

I guess I never really realized the handiness of no scoping was. All in all, it's a really fun weapon, and I got someone to say word-for-word the following: "Wow. I wonder how long it will take to nerf that new rifle. It's making it easy for bads."

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
The beta is almost never used and if it is the feedback is never used. :I

That's kinda what i was trying to say. If a weapon gets beta tested then it's more likely to enter the game broken as the playtesters are clearly poorly trained monkeys that skew the apparent effectiveness of any weapon.

A lot of games companies are looking into playtesting through competitive play before beta release as the top skill level players show exactly what is happening, and possible, with the weapons. I know Valve pay attention to what happens within their online communities but sometimes i think they don't pay enough attention. How long did it take to get the equaliser fixed? Or perhaps i should be thankful it got balanced at all. I'm not really sure which way to look at it anymore. If i complain i'm a terrible old fart who's never happy, if i don't, nobody knows anything is wrong.

Last edited:

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
That's kinda what i was trying to say. If a weapon gets beta tested then it's more likely to enter the game broken as the playtesters are clearly poorly trained monkeys that skew the apparent effectiveness of any weapon.

Actually by playing beta i've noticed about 2% of people test and the rest are trolls who love beta because they get higher fps.

English Mobster

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 10, 2011
In my first game with the new sniper (a surprisingly fun game on Dustbowl where nobody was 12 and everybody talked to one another and used teamwork to achieve the objective), I managed to get a double headshot on a Heavy/Medic pair right as they were about to deploy Uber and managed to severely damage a Pyro behind them, all with one bullet.
T'was a good day.

Retroid

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 25, 2009
Completely offtopic but you just reminded me of something that happened the other day, killed an Engineer and Dispenser with one arrow. Didn't know that could happen tbh...