The Future of Compensation for TF2 Mappers: A Community / Valve Discussion

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
Talking about how mapper can get money is one way of creating a way for Valve to make money.
Am i glad im making mvm maps ^_^

But even though maps dont directly give money outside of mvm they are still helpfull. If you keep it to just the current map list and there are no new ones, people will get bored. An update with just items isnt going to pull them back.

A map gives people a reason to start up the game again to see that map. Those who start it up might be playing the game longer. Especialy when there is a constant flow of new maps (even just 1 each 3 months) it gives a reason to keep playing.

The problem is the rate of high quality maps that valve calls suitable. For snowplow i think the crash issue would have been a more important one than the harder gamemode. Even though the hud for it should have been made. After all, valve is working on asteroid which is also a more complex gamemode. Harder gamemodes are something people also want. Its why 2 cities is more fun than the other tours in mvm.

And even if valve doesnt directly put them in. If they would just promote a custom map by mentioning 3 custom maps in the blog that they think could be worth a watch it still would help.

Players and many server owners dont actively search for new maps, they often just hear it from others. So if valve would mention a map and not even add it to the game many servers owners and players will still notice it. And when players as they are more likely to play it (unless its a 100mb map which makes the filesize the showstopper, a 30mb map is accepted by many).

InstantMuffin

L2: Junior Member
May 26, 2014
They should consider to put some alpha maps from the community in the 'Beta testing', I'm pretty sure it could be a really good move from both parts, the mapper have a lot of informations, and maybe a lot of feedback, while Valve does nothing but get some good maps from the community, and everyone is happy.

Of course those maps have to be really serious and the mappers have to know what they are doing.[...]

I find this very unlikely to happen.
I'm going to roll this up the other way around and start with your last point and work my way up.
With all seriousness of EOTL and the high degree of professionalism of the people involved which may or may not be true to some extend (but in comparison, in terms of an officially promoted update it is as serious as it gets), the public reception and Valve's was bad. I'd like to separate that into two parts, content-wise and marketing-wise:

Content-wise:
The map was cut. Without the map it's basically the crates, the duck journal and a few weapons (if I'm not mistaken). Gameplay-wise it didn't add anything more than some smaller update Valve pushes that does not only include fixes.
There's different opinions about the movie, of course. Some like it, some don't, the youtube comments had some further elaboration of some in-depth technical stuff that could have been improved animation-wise (which I cannot evaluate since it's not my area of expertise). Personally I would have loved a more close collaboration with Valve and getting the voice-actors in on it, because for a non-verbal-dialog movie it didn't fully utilize the potential of those silent moments and nuances where the viewer draws his own (funny) conclusions to certain scenes.

Marketing-wise:
In my opinion this is the part where the most potential was thrown out of the window. It was ridiculously overhyped, and the map was even leaked.
It was just milked out until nothing was left. I think McVee could have improved a lot in that department, especially if he wants to utilize this as a reference for his later career.

Concluding with your first point:
Since EOTL was unwillingly beta-tested and not good enough in Valve's opinion, I find a further collaboration in form of officially pushed betatests of community maps unlikely to happen. Also, after all, this is what tf2maps.net is for. On that note, TF2 already has enough official beta stuff going on.
For Valve (also due to the general reception of the update) EOTL was a failure/disappointment. It left such a bitter aftertaste in the mouth of the community that Valve had to push another beta thing (the mannpower gamemode) to over-color it. A gamemode, that is insanely difficult (I would say impossible) to ever properly balance out due to the huge number of weapons TF2 already has. It hasn't even been teased or hinted at with leaks of code or anything which is very untypical for Valve, indicating that this is quite a desperate move. However, I think they have avoided that EOTL-cliff for now, so this was kind of a smart move.

[...]That's the best compensation imo, your map is played, Valve see if the public like it or not, and then they can buy it if everyone like it.

Imo you're all talking too much money there, the best compensation for a mapper is to see their map played and enjoyed, money is a good plus, but it should never be the first incentive when you make a map.

I second that. If I take a look at other modding branches, the complexity of the projects, their value to a game and Valve in general and the public reception and recognition of the branch in total, I think this thread comes off as insanely arrogant. I'm not interested in further elaborating on that, as a community specialized on a specific modding branch is a very bad place to have an objective and well-moderated conversation on this particular topic. I'd rather have this further discussed on gamebanana, facepunch, or hell even spuf where modders are either a fraction of the community or well balanced onto different branches (equal parts modelers, scripters, mappers and whatnot).

[...]Players and many server owners dont actively search for new maps, they often just hear it from others. So if valve would mention a map and not even add it to the game many servers owners and players will still notice it. And when players as they are more likely to play it (unless its a 100mb map which makes the filesize the showstopper, a 30mb map is accepted by many).

They should. I'm guilty of crawling a huge amount of servers for information (player counts, maps played, and how often they're being played etc.) and as soon as something new is being played (db or ph-wise) I know about it.
Many (if not all) community admins have alliedmods accounts where they look out for the latest plugins and seek help. That's why I think it is the job of this community to promote mapper's work and offer an interface to other communities who would potentially want to host new maps.

Last edited:

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Imo you're all talking too much money there, the best compensation for a mapper is to see their map played and enjoyed,
And having a map purchased is the best way to see that.

money is a good plus, but it should never be the first incentive when you make a map.
Agreed.

RaVaGe

aa
Jun 23, 2010
I find this very unlikely to happen.
I'm going to roll this up the other way around and start with your last point and work my way up.
With all seriousness of EOTL and the high degree of professionalism of the people involved which may or may not be true to some extend (but in comparison, in terms of an officially promoted update it is as serious as it gets), the public reception and Valve's was bad. I'd like to separate that into two parts, content-wise and marketing-wise:

You are talking about a whole update that promised a lot but didn't bring anything. I'm talking about a map, where the development process is supported by the community, while Valve still have a look at it and can say no whenever they want, that's completly different. Anyway, there's not a lot of people here to claim their work good enough to be a part of that 'Beta testing'.

InstantMuffin

May 26, 2014
You are talking about a whole update that promised a lot but didn't bring anything. I'm talking about a map, where the development process is supported by the community, while Valve still have a look at it and can say no whenever they want, that's completly different. Anyway, there's not a lot of people here to claim their work good enough to be a part of that 'Beta testing'.

I was elaborating on the whole update because it's an example of how even highest community mapping standards failed in Valve's opinion, also because it shifted the opinion of the community towards the future of TF2, and Valve'S perspective on community work.

Even blog posts on community content happen rarely and are completely luck-based, not on justification. It seems to me that Valve's main failure is not hiring community managers and publicists that focus on communities. I highly doubt that this will ever change, and the last weeks, if anything, worsened the odds of further interaction in this regard.

Last edited:

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
The problem with Valve accepting beta maps is the risk. Specifically, the risk of a map failing and needing to be dropped. People will get upset if anything is removed.

Apr 14, 2013
Valve should make the "play beta maps" into "play good quality custom maps", and by doing that will solve three problems:
1) The custom map problem- not enough servers play custom maps, because of long download times, and because of unawareness
2) The "testing community maps" problem- Valve could much more easily see for themselves what maps are good and what maps are "too confusing and complicated" by collecting data on dozens of REAL players, playing the maps all the time.
3) The data will be avaliable to the mappers (us) then we could improve the maps too

That way Valve won't need to ever remove one of the maps for "not being good enough", they could just leave it there because it's a custom map that might not be added to game, but will still be fun (of course if there's a map that is not fun at all, it could be removed)

InstantMuffin

May 26, 2014
I think they know exactly what they want: Profit.

How many people play snowplow atm? What's its public reception?
idk if they cancelled the payment for the map, but (in case they did cancel the payment after all) the leak (which might have been a dealbreaker already) was a great way for Valve to find out if the map was actually worth its money.
Plus it was basically released anyway, outside of the package. Why not save some money and reject it then? Maybe even make up some reason that isn't as blunt as "we've played you" or "this map sucks, bb".

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
They were happy about opening it up to the public (Something I'd pushed james for from day 1, but he didn't want it).

People also mention the server crashing, which is a complete non-issue as reducing edicts is trivial if you know what you're doing and know where optimisations can be made.

If you look at the maps included, and those not included over the years you see very unexpected choices and some really fantastic maps left by the wayside.

I think we're on to something with "ability to make profit" from it. Valve had that from eotl, but snowplow wasn't cut because it would decrease profits (in fact, it would probably have increased profits).
To them, a good shippable product is quality content + sellability.
Way back in 2011 I was working on something with Rexy (that fell through) that would have been a map and a bunch of cosmetics and weapons in a themed set and still now, I think if your end point is money that's what you should be doing.

Areas ripe for exploitation:
  • Halloween - Make a quality halloween map with something new and finish it by early-mid september
  • Robot Destruction - It's a new mode, it needs fleshing out with more maps
  • Moonbase - They're obviously going to have some official moonbase update. If you can make a moonbase map before then or you+few others have a few maps shortly after you could hit a second wave of moonbase maps
  • Mannpower - Early days, but again like rd, it's going to get a proper update at some point and will want more maps fleshing out the mode.

InstantMuffin

May 26, 2014
[...](in fact, it would probably have increased profits).[...]

Why? How?

I don't believe in mannpower mode. EOTL forced Valve's hand to do something unexpected. It's impossible to properly balance out the mode. People are already losing interest, comparing it to "playing against hackers until you get your few moments with a powerup". (SPUF)
The grappling hook is a nice touch, I think they should elaborate on that. Difficulty with that is building proper maps. L4D had issues with that as well, in spawnmode you always had some limitations - you couldn't go up there, you couldn't make that jump because of an invisible wall, etc.
A few things with grappling hook balancing that come to mind:
-Sentry nests
-Huge advantage for snipers to possibly hide wherever they want
-Situations where grenade-projectiles would have huge advantages
-Maps need to be specifically designed for grappling hook usage

It opens up maps to a lot of exploits and unfair instances of "I stand in this particular place so I can do xyz to fuck everything up".

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Why? How?

Increase content in an update = more reason to play the game = more reason to spend money on said game.

Contrary to popular belief, hats alone don't count as 'content' ... gamemodes and maps do, and that is what keeps a game going.

Also, YM is correct in saying that if we as mappers what to be recognized more by valve is that we need to 1) Up the quality of our maps and 2) Need to figure out a simple, effective, easy to understand way for Valve to make money off maps and for US to share in those profits.

InstantMuffin

May 26, 2014
Increase content in an update = more reason to play the game = more reason to spend money on said game.[...}

My previous point was: The map is part of the game already, third party content, but published. I wouldn't blame Valve to back out of the deal by giving some reason (which may or may not be a valid point) to save some bucks. Map's released, it's done. It's a double-win, because if there's any problems with the map, it's not their business anymore, it's not "official content". Link in the story is still there though, as the EOTL video (which the map is based on) is official. Who cares about yet another map download upon joining a server for the first time.

Other way around: If I had a contractor who was "incompetent" enough to leak the product which was supposed to be kept a secret, not only is that a valid deal-breaker but also tells a lot about who I chose to make business with.

There has to be a line for the mappers involved to draw, from which they should learn: Have your skills been insufficient, or is this another typical Monday of some company being devious?
As an outsider I'd go for the middle ground, but you may pick whatever you want.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Who cares about yet another map download upon joining a server for the first time.

uuuhhhhh 99.5% of the TF2 playerbase does.

As I said before: Valve were encouraging us to take it public months before we did but James didn't want to. when it was 'leaked' it was already open to 2000+ people that are in our steam group. Valve's actual response was "we're glad you've opened it up to the public"

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Now that everything's settled, I understand why snowplow was dropped. Those reasons have been said a few times already. The thing that bugs me about this is that none of those issues were unfixable. Maybe Valve just felt like there wasn't enough time left to fix them and still properly test, or there wasn't enough time to fix them and still do the things they needed to on their end (the new hud, etc).

I agree that the best chance for a map right now is it being part of a community update, with cosmetics, and new unusual effects, and weapons TESTED by the community ala Tightrope.

So the question really should be... what community update are we -- TF2maps -- going to put together for 2015?

InstantMuffin

May 26, 2014
uuuhhhhh 99.5% of the TF2 playerbase does. [...]

I'm sorry, but arbitrary numbers don't count. At least have the decency to go for how many have disabled custom map download, and I can tell you as a server owner, less than 10%. Thats a bit less than 99.5.

[...]As I said before: Valve were encouraging us to take it public months before we did but James didn't want to. when it was 'leaked' it was already open to 2000+ people that are in our steam group. Valve's actual response was "we're glad you've opened it up to the public"

Sure, because they could drop it and still have the map available. See my point? It's hard to miss that if I were right regarding Valve's motives, that would play exactly in their favour.

Now that everything's settled, I understand why snowplow was dropped. Those reasons have been said a few times already.[...]

There's the one (!) officially mentioned "reason" of confusion, which at least we obviously all agree on is questionable given your particular phrasing?

Last edited: