The 2015 72hr Winter Special!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wareya

L420: High Member
Jun 17, 2012
I don't like that. CC you made before the contest but didn't release shouldn't be allowed. That's the same as working on your map before the contest starts.

Last edited:

BigBros

L3: Member
Aug 20, 2014
If you thought about it and tried hard enough, for long enough, you could almost completely do your map through artpass with models, before the contest had started, like how Asteroid is currently turning out. It would be difficult, but higher quality material would be turned in by the end of the 72 hours than if that hadnt happened.

puxorb

L69: Emoticon
aa
Dec 15, 2013
Well since most of us will be using prefab gamemodes, doors, counters, control points, etc. Yeah. Go ahead, make sure your gamemode works ahead of time and have it ready to go.

leprecan

L2: Junior Member
Feb 10, 2013
Is that true? I'm thinking of working on a custom game mode for this contest. Does that mean I can set up the entities and logic for that game mode before the contest starts?

"You may not use any elements from old maps. Simple prefabs, such as stairs, prop sets, and entity setups are allowed."

Seems an entity prefab is ok by that rule.

Maybe the rule in the main post about making your own props needs a clarification line about whether:

a. you can only make your own content during the contest

b. you have to release the content before the contest's deadline

Geit

💜 I probably broke it 💜
aa
May 28, 2009
Exactly.

Your CC is allowed = it's allowed from any time
OR
Other people's CC is if it's publically available BEFORE the contest = it's allowed from before the contest

My interpretation of the rule is that there's no custom content creation allowed before the start of the mapping period, unless you publicly release it (with the exception of simple things like authorship posters). Like others have said, you could just model out your entire map, or create your own custom theme in the time between the annoucement and the start of the mapping period if that were the case.

The being the case:

Your CC is allowed = it's allowed from any time, as long as it's released before mapping starts, or it's a trivial addition to the map.
OR
Other people's CC is if it's publically available BEFORE the contest = it's allowed from before the contest

wareya

Jun 17, 2012
The way I think it should be spelled out is:
- Anything anyone makes before the contest starts can't be used unless it's publicly released or absolutely trivial
- You can use private content if you make it yourself during the contest.

Then if someone is actually a god of 3d modelling they can still have their skills contribute to the contest.

They just can't make their own artstyle before the contest starts and come out of the contest with 400 hours of work put into it, much more than people who are doing the contest legit get to do.

wareya

Jun 17, 2012
This is different from preparing. This is doing the contest outside of the contest. We can all make layouts ahead of time on paper, so if you can make all your assets too then you can end up with a fully artpassed map with the highest level of custom polish and hundreds of hours of personal work which nobody else can use just from putting all your prepared work together. If someone did that and won I would be incredibly and rightfully pissed. It's the opposite of the idea behind this contest.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I've been wanting to get in on this, but unfortunately i haven't had access to my steam account since Jan 3rd. It locked me out when i tried to update the password and i've been waiting on steam support ever since.

Annoyingly i can use Hammer, which is such a massive tease; since i can't troubleshoot ingame if i were to ever compile anything.

iiboharz

eternally tired
aa
Nov 5, 2014
I've been wanting to get in on this, but unfortunately i haven't had access to my steam account since Jan 3rd. It locked me out when i tried to update the password and i've been waiting on steam support ever since.

Annoyingly i can use Hammer, which is such a massive tease; since i can't troubleshoot ingame if i were to ever compile anything.

Surely for the time being you could make an alternate account or something, especially considering TF2 is free?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Quickly make a new account, TF2 is free afterall :D

Nail -> Head -> Bam

TF2 is free, the game content moved from user specific installs to machine specific years ago so you don't even need to redownload it, just create a quick email adress if you don't already have two and you're back in action until support gets back to you

BigBros

L3: Member
Aug 20, 2014
Nail -> Head -> Bam

TF2 is free, the game content moved from user specific installs to machine specific years ago so you don't even need to redownload it, just create a quick email adress if you don't already have two and you're back in action until support gets back to you

Until support gets back to you.

Ha.

Generic response/10 after 3 weeks waiting time.

:D Love you steam support.

Status
Not open for further replies.