TF2Maps Presents: The Winter 2017 72hour TF2Jam!

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
g0dZVgz.png

(Image thanks to iiboharz and Retro)

The first jam had over a hundred entries. I wasn’t sure we could do as well as that a second time. The second jam had over five hundred entries, which sure showed me, didn’t it? Lets see if we can go even bigger this time!

Starts Friday 10th February at 6PM GMT!
Time Converter at worldtimebuddy.com

For those of you not around before, for the TF2Jam we want you to make things for or about Team Fortress 2, in less than 72 hours. Maps, models, videos, artwork, fanfiction, articles, games, mods, sculpture, interpretive dance - it’s all good! Then post it on the site to show us what you’ve made - and we’ll give you an in-game medal so you can boast about how you were involved.

Rules
  • Make something for or about Team Fortress 2.
  • Do not start before 6pm GMT Friday 10th February. Finish before 6pm GMT Monday 13th February.
    • You can plan before the Jam starts if you want, but don’t start working! (See the FAQ for more on this, and for entering at different times).
  • Before time ends, post a download for your content in the 72hr Entries Category.
      • Do this by going here and choosing the 72hr Jam Entries Category from the list.
    • This lets everyone see what everyone has done, and provide help and feedback.
  • You may use publicly available resources or tools such as ABS's Mappers Resource or Fuse, but you must credit them appropriately.
    • This also applies to custom content or templates - use it, but let everyone know where you got it from.
    • Everything you enter has to be your own work - no stealing stuff!
The Medal
Like last time, everyone who enters will get a medal to wear in-game! The medal has been kindly made for us by Zoey "Zobot" Smith, and looks like this. We have a semi-automatic system for handing out medals, so if you want to get one you must do the following.
  • Post your entry as a forum download in the 72hr Jam Entries category.
  • Connect your forum account to the steam account you want the medal for here. It won't be tradable, so make sure it's for an active account.
  • If you have more than one collaborator on a project, PM me when you submit it. I'll need their steamID too, and what work they did on the project.
  • If you haven’t done this within three days of the end of the jam, you will not get a medal! Last year I was handing out medals for weeks after the end of the jam, and that won’t happen this time. Sorry!
  • We reserve the right to not give the medal to low-effort entries! If you’re just entering to get a medal, try to test yourself!
    • To clarify, you won’t be denied a medal for not being very good, but you might be denied if you don’t try hard.
    • Examples of things that might not count: MSPaint pictures, loadout pictures, stick-figure art.
    • Obviously, you don’t get a medal if you break any of the rules.

Community
If you want to join other people participating to chat we have a steam chat (always busy) and a Discord (a bit quieter. Join our steam group to get notifications about tests. We also have a hashtag: use #tf2jam to find other participants on twitter/tumblr/instagram/myspace etc.

Feel free to post and update your entry at any time during the event - and make sure to drop in to other people's threads and share kind thoughts and constructive criticism. We also love people streaming: if you're planning on streaming your efforts, post a link to your livestream here - 14Bit has made a guide to getting a countdown clock on your stream here. Don't post things on the steam group main page, though: we don't check it very often.

FAQs
Can I make a -
Let me stop you there: yes, if it's related to Team Fortress 2. If it's lewd or NSFW, though, we would prefer you hosted it elsewhere and post a link, marked as NSFW, to it, rather than uploading it directly to here - this stops it being previewed on the front page.
Can I enter on another day?
Yes - you can enter on whatever 72hr period you wish, though we suggest you do so before the normal contest time. Simply post the dates/times you wish to enter in this thread, and i'll make a list.

We can't promise to provide the same amount of support for people entering outside the normal time, but we'll do our best.

Can I collaborate with someone else?
Yes! Make sure to credit everybody involved when you make your upload though.

Do I need to be a TF2Maps member to join?
Nope! Or, well, sort of. You’ll need to join the site to upload your entry, but this is open to everybody, even those who’ve never been here before.

What can I do before the jam starts?
This depends on what it is you want to do with the jam. Do you want to go from a completely blank slate to a finished project, or meticulously plan every detail before opening your chosen tool? Either is fine.

What we don't want people doing is continuing with half-finished or already-in-development projects. The jam is a great time to flex your creative muscles and try something new.

What if I don’t want to abide by all these cruel and restrictive rules?
That’s cool. We’re not fussed. We’re glad you’re joining us! However, please let us know if you’re doing that – its not fair to other people if some get to start earlier, say. You probably won't get the medal, though. :(

How can I get feedback on my project?
The two best ways are to post a thread on the forums, and to join the steamchat and ask people what they think - we're always happy to help. If you want your map tested, similarly join the steamchat and ask - we can show you how to get it added to the list. There are a few other rules that maps need to abide by for us to test them (since doing otherwise can break our servers) - see the bottom question below.

I want someone to collaborate with me!
This isn't a question. However: post in the thread you're in right now, and maybe someone will offer tojoin you. (It usually helps your chances to say both what you're good at and what ideas you already have.)

What are these extra rules for testing maps?
  • Don't use special characters or capital letters in your filename.
  • Maps must be able to spawn at least 24 players (12 per team).
  • Include some lighting - no fullbright maps.
  • If your map requires point_servercommands to be active, then contact an admin before running it. We reserve the right to refuse any map like this.
We will be running a separate server for MVM maps. Speak to a admin to have your map tested on this.

---

Both the jams we've run so far have been some of the most chaotic, creative, and enjoyable events we've run so far - and if you're on the fence, i'd definitely suggest trying it out. Even if you think you're not artistic, you'd be surprised at what you can do! If you're already an expert - and hey, most of you are - remember to help other people out, and share your knowledge around.

As always, if you have any questions, drop into the steam chat or discord, or drop me a PM!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
  • We reserve the right to not give the medal to low-effort entries! If you’re just entering to get a medal, try to test yourself!
    • To clarify, you won’t be denied a medal for not being very good, but you might be denied if you don’t try hard.
    • Examples of things that might not count: MSPaint pictures, loadout pictures, stick-figure art.
    • Obviously, you don’t get a medal if you break any of the rules.

This seems like a reasonable policy.

Looking forward to seeing/playing the multitude of Jam entries! These events always bring out some immense creativity.

nickybakes

You should've played Rumbleverse
aa
Jul 28, 2015
Looking at the picture provided of the medal, it looks as if its the same as the Summer Jam medal? Is it the same model just named differently? Or is there a difference I'm not seeing? (Personally I don't care much about getting the medal, I just want to clarify for others who might).

Moonfixer

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 23, 2014
I think I'd like to give this a try.

Infomaniac

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 29, 2015
I agree with nick, the medal is similar to the summer jam medal.

dryerlint

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 28, 2016
I haven't mapped in a while (and am pretty bad at it TBH) but I think I'll give this a try as well. The 72hr Jams are always fun!

Infomaniac

Nov 29, 2015
I'm gonna enter and I already have a concept in mind. the map will be similar to doublecross and landfall.

The Siphon

Mar 2, 2015
Looking at the picture provided of the medal, it looks as if its the same as the Summer Jam medal? Is it the same model just named differently? Or is there a difference I'm not seeing? (Personally I don't care much about getting the medal, I just want to clarify for others who might).
Would be cool if the winter 2017 jam medal had a little beanie or something winter themed. And for summer 2017 it could be bit different from the last year's medal. Maybe a summer hat? Sunglasses?
Would bring that collection feeling.

Dribbleondo - Au Yeah

L2: Junior Member
Jul 22, 2016
Would be cool if the winter 2017 jam medal had a little beanie or something winter themed. And for summer 2017 it could be bit different from the last year's medal. Maybe a summer hat? Sunglasses?
Would bring that collection feeling.

I second this. If I enter the Winter Jam, all I'd get is basically the exact same medal, just with a different name =P

LeSwordfish

aa
Aug 8, 2010

Same model named differently.

LeSwordfish

aa
Aug 8, 2010
I second this. If I enter the Winter Jam, all I'd get is basically the exact same medal, just with a different name =P

And a sense of achievement! And it's fun!

can I make a sfm poster? I don't have much time that date :(

If anyone put a bet on fourteen posts before someone asked a question that was in the FAQ, then come on down and collect your money.

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
Can people who did bet on someone asking FAQ questions take twice the money now?
What we don't want people doing is continuing with half-finished or already-in-development projects. The jam is a great time to flex your creative muscles and try something new.

Erk

erk
aa
Aug 6, 2016
Alright, I can handle this.

I can do this.

I can probably do this.

I might do this.

There's a solid chance I can do this.

I'll have to consult the elders, but I get the feeling I can do this.

I dont know if I can do this

Question: "What can I do before the jam starts?
This depends on what it is you want to do with the jam. Do you want to go from a completely blank slate to a finished project, or meticulously plan every detail before opening your chosen tool? Either is fine.

What we don't want people doing is continuing with half-finished or already-in-development projects. The jam is a great time to flex your creative muscles and try something new."

So lets say I start gathering props and textures I want for a detail today, without actually building anything, is that legal?

Last edited: