TF2Maps.net Mapping Contest #7: Payload (Dynamic element)

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I answered this is chat earlier, but here goes: Tug-of-war is not allowed because it's not a officialized gamemode.

I don't know how many times I've typed this out: Don't make fancypants custom gamemodes, that is not the purpose or intention of the competition.
"Dynamic element" is something smaller than a complete edit of the fundamental pl_badwater/plr_hightower style payload logic.

Last edited:

Yacan1

D I G I T A L I N F L U E N C E R
aa
Nov 7, 2010
*Everyone does foundry theme*

JZeeba

L1: Registered
Jul 21, 2010
This is great news!. I've just started learning mapping recently but count me in :)

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
We need rules for consistancy. You can't realistically compare different gamemodes on the same merits. You need comparisons to rate maps against each other.

Sure, you can say that one map is more fun than another despite one being CTF and another PL, but people are partial between game modes, so you get bias.

Moose

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 4, 2009
We need rules for consistancy. You can't realistically compare different gamemodes on the same merits. You need comparisons to rate maps against each other.

Sure, you can say that one map is more fun than another despite one being CTF and another PL, but people are partial between game modes, so you get bias.

I think doom meant something more along the lines of "no disqualifications as long as entrants stay within the contest's gamemode".

Yacan1

D I G I T A L I N F L U E N C E R
aa
Nov 7, 2010
Also, is there a specific title for the save data? (ex: yacan1_dynamicPL_entry)

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I think doom meant something more along the lines of "no disqualifications as long as entrants stay within the contest's gamemode".

Well if people stay within the game mode there'll be no need for DQ's will there. Either you have people doing weird and largely irrelevant/inappropriate things or you don't. It's not "make a map with a payload somewhere". It's a payload contest with dynamic parts. I think people should be able to figure out what that means without too much thought.

Things that move or affect the cart such as holding ground or waiting for a bridge/door are clearly payload related mechanics, having a flag or carrying a flag doesn't make a lot of sense in payload and only confuses the mechanics. Using it as a key like device could be interesting but it's more likely to cause problems because you can't effectively communicate the exact purpose of hybrid mechanics to players, especially when the devices used are those used for entirely different game modes.

Last edited:

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
I agree, I've been saying this in chat too...

If you're going to use a mechanic that involves capturing a flag or of control point, you better know what the hell you are doing...

I also think that the way the judging is set up, will help weed out those types of things, no need for n official DQ, the judging will do it anyways.

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
I was thinking something along the lines of "we set the rules, you make the map according to your own interpretation of the rules this time". Just a little bit more creative freedom than usual.

Well if people stay within the game mode there'll be no need for DQ's will there.

After skimming through cesspool thread linked ITT I'm not so sure of that ;)

Dragonic

L1: Registered
Dec 30, 2011
Although it being my first time, I'll try entering this contest.
One interesting but rarely played PL map came to mind.

Remember pl_waste? It's the one where the cart can be pushed by either team. Does this count as dynamic element?

Edit: Nevermind, that would be tug-of-war, haha.

Last edited: