TF2Maps.net Mapping Contest #7: Payload (Dynamic element)

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
i was thinking that maybe we could have some extra nominations/achievements besides just 1st/2nd/3rd place, just for fun. like Most Beautiful Map - top aesthetics score, Best Map By Newcomer - top placing map by someone who we've never seen before, You Were So Close - best map out of the ones that were eliminated in the prelims, Crowd Favorite - best map if we don't count judges' votes, etc.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Wont those kinda come out in the score sheets naturally anyway?

If you score high aesthetic points over the other contestants then give yourself a pat on the back?

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
Wont those kinda come out in the score sheets naturally anyway?

If you score high aesthetic points over the other contestants then give yourself a pat on the back?

yeah but i kinda meant a more official recognition than just seeing them for yourself :p maybe even some nominations that arent score-related

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
i dont' see any problem with his idea, since it'll require minimal amount of work to do, as like you said the info will come from the scores and it can only lead to people feeling happy at additional recognition.

i 2nd the vote for doom's to be most dynamic

VODKA45

L1: Registered
Jul 15, 2010
Which servers will test the maps, to judge whether I look at it? It's also interesting because all the cards are good! If you can find out what ip?

Last edited:

Tekku

aa
Aug 31, 2008
Which servers will test the card, to judge whether I look at it? It's also interesting because all the cards are good! If you can find out what ip?

We are and are going to play the maps on our server 70.42.74.31:27015 , so feel free to jump in whenever you see us playing the maps.

Мы будем играть карты на нашем сервере 70.42.74.31:27015 , так как можешь присоединиться когда мы играем. :)

Motanum

L2: Junior Member
Jan 30, 2011
We are and are going to play the maps on our server 70.42.74.31:27015 , so feel free to jump in whenever you see us playing the maps.

Мы будем играть карты на нашем сервере 70.42.74.31:27015 , так как можешь присоединиться когда мы играем. :)

is there a steam community group where you spam with events? I'd love to join in.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Well, considering there are ~25 entries give or take the few that will obviously be DQ'd, it might be nice to give out medals to "the most pretty map", etc if said maps don't make the runners up. Just as long as we don't have too many glorified runners up positions. Limit it to... 5.

I think it's fair to say the map that plays the best and is thus the most enjoyed will win the contest so things like... "prettiest map", "most intuitive dynamic element", "best finalé", "best staging area" and something else to make 5 psuedo winners.

ics

http://ics-base.net
aa
Jun 17, 2010
So, i think most of the people who attended are interested to know about few things and once there is info, i hope it's shared:

1. How/Who will pick/When are the maps picked that are "in" the competition and which submitted drop off and why,

2. How long the voting period / judging period lasts?

3. When the contest results will be announced?

Thats all i have. Thanks.

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
let's not forget: when will the collage images be done?
also will a new one get done after the prelim?

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Well in the last contest the official judges took over a month which was perhaps pushing it, but totally understandable baring in mind all these maps need to be pretty comprehensively tested, so it will take several weeks. The trouble was nobody really gave a shit about the official judge reviews after 4-5 weeks, they only wanted the official judge reviews to end so that they could see who won. Which was disheartening considering the amount of time, effort and thought which went into the criticism process.

Personally i'd like to see more support for what the official judges do and let the process be what it needs to be otherwise you'll have what happened in the contest before that. The process was so rushed that the official judge reviews didn't reflect the actual community support in any shape or form because the judge line up wasn't as organised and the reviews were clearly hastily written with little reasoning involved and mostly opinionated in subject matter (although that in part was due to outside, non-tf2maps judges).

Last edited: