TF2Maps.net Mapping Contest #5: The Art Pass Contest

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
no. It changes gameplay, and has nothing to do with detailing.

EDIT: Hereby calling the space station theme.

There are ammo patches without health or ammo. Explain this.

Sgt_Dippy

L1: Registered
Aug 28, 2009
The layout is a piece of SHIT and I think I'm going to have to make huge modifications with it to make this even remotely playable. Although I got an Idea for those huge walls...

BagOfChips

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 7, 2009
map just crashes hammer gj valve

now hammer doesn't work any more, some nonsense abou it not being able to load filesystemopendialog.dll

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2009
Hope it hasn't been asked already, but what are the rules on using tf2map's swamp themed objects?

Yes you can, it's been answered already. ;)

The layout is a piece of SHIT and I think I'm going to have to make huge modifications with it to make this even remotely playable. Although I got an Idea for those huge walls...

I dunno... Upon closer examination I've come to think it's not bad, actually. Yeah, that's probably not the best layout Valve has made, but it's also possibly better than anything I'll ever do. :p
Once most people get used to the layout, learn the engie spots, sniper spots, shortcuts and all, I think it'll play well.

Porkchop

Apr 6, 2009

Except this is a detailing contest, not a "best gameplay" contest. One thing about being a level designer is to work with what you've been given, not to bitch and moan because YOU don't like it. Valve's detailing team doesn't complain because the layout team does something they dislike, they work with it and adapt.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2009
Except this is a detailing contest, not a "best gameplay" contest.

Well, there are reasons to be concerned, I mean if the layout is truly crappy (and I don't think it is), then Valve would still have to make this map official and it would be forever associated with the winner's name, although most players would hate it ?

StarvinCannibal

Jul 16, 2010
So, as far as the map name goes, do I need to put my username or my nickname?

Because my username is starving_cannibal, but my nickname is Starving Cannibal. Minor difference, but still, which one? The username, I assume?

Porkchop

Apr 6, 2009
Well, there are reasons to be concerned, I mean if the layout is truly crappy (and I don't think it is), then Valve would still have to make this map official and it would be forever associated with the winner's name, although most players would hate it ?

Valve can still easily fix things up. They never said this was the final layout, only to detail and optimize it as if it were ready to ship. It also makes it a hell of a lot easier for them to edit if it's nice and neat.

Basically the point of this contest, as I see it, is to find something good looking and hopefully original, hence the line "you get a chance to show us how much better at detailing maps than we are".

Apr 13, 2009
Hmmmyeahok I see what you mean, it just seems like nonsense to me to make layout changes after a full art pass is done but if Valve is willing to... :p

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
Hmmmm

OMG CRAPPY LAYOUT!!11

Its a DETAILING contest why do you care?

Layout is so bad..

Contest is not for the layout..

man what a bad layout

the contest is NOT FOR THE LAYOUT

stupid valve what a terrible layout

omfg... forget the layout. the contest is not for the layout.

what a bad contest the layout is so bad QQ

People why is this so extremely hard? The layout could be a F'ing circle with a giant hole int he middle. Does it matter? NO.

This is a DETAILING contest. its not how well you can see a layout is not good.
Detailing contest only worry about detailing..detaildetaildetail

<3 you all but its just very sad to see people take whats an amazing offer and then bitch about it when YOU are not following instructions.

NovaSilisko

L42: Life, the Universe and Everything
aa
Feb 3, 2009
Hmmmm

Its a DETAILING contest why do you care?

Contest is not for the layout..

the contest is NOT FOR THE LAYOUT

omfg... forget the layout. the contest is not for the layout.

People why is this so extremely hard? The layout could be a F'ing circle with a giant hole int he middle. Does it matter? NO.

This is a DETAILING contest. its not how well you can see a layout is not good.
Detailing contest only worry about detailing..detaildetaildetail

<3 you all but its just very sad to see people take whats an amazing offer and then bitch about it when YOU are not following instructions.

You're kiiinda missing the point.

If the layout is shit, do they want to become known for detailing a shit map? There's a reason bad layouts never get detailed(except by some)

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
You're kiiinda missing the point.

If the layout is shit, do they want to become known for detailing a shit map? There's a reason bad layouts never get detailed(except by some)

Wouldn't though. Valve did the layout not the detail mapper.

NovaSilisko

L42: Life, the Universe and Everything
aa
Feb 3, 2009
Wouldn't though. Valve did the layout not the detail mapper.

I'm just saying. If the map itself plays really bad, nobody will play it and it will end up being wasted - see how hydro has ended up to most players?

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
I'm just saying. If the map itself plays really bad, nobody will play it and it will end up being wasted - see how hydro has ended up to most players?

Does that take in anyway away from the fact you you out detailed hundreds of other mappers to get such a feature recognized by valve?

What we have is truly a great opportunity.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
1st and 2nd are kinda eh. But last is very interesting with how vertical things get.

Things become so vertical that you can't possibly hope to have any sort of combat. But yes, the layout is irrelevant. Detail it without changing it, for that is truly the challenge.

Rikka

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 10, 2009
As a non-mapper all this contest means to me is that you guys won't be producing as many maps for me to test. So I encourage you all to ignore this contest.

I also encourage you all to be as selfish as I am and ignore, and also try your best. Its excellent to have this kind of opportunity.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
People care about the layout because at the end of the day this map will get played. Whether the contest itself ignores that fact or not.

It's not like our mini detail contests where there's no expectation of a working game mode or well balanced layout.

People don't want their work associated with something bad.

Saying that, however, upon further inspection the scales arn't horrificly bad, just bad. Most of the height scales conform with gravelpit height scales, if not a little greater, and in a more linear fashion (which is where i have a problem).

I just really hope the map plays better than it looks like it does.