TF2Maps.net Mapping Contest #5: The Art Pass Contest

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
I also agree with NovaSilosko. I will still enter but I will know that I have a 99.9% chance of not winning, my map becoming pointless along with everyone elses bar one, and would cause demotivation :(

They should've made it on a slightly smaller scale such as splitting the contset up into several 'groups'. One for each cap and spawn areas. At least that way less 'wasted' material and effort.

Also, can we use the swamp pack?

Jan 20, 2010
I have to agree. There's one person that will win, everyone should at least get a badge or something in-game if they sent in a valid entry. (Valid as in, made by them, followed the rules, et cetera.)

I imagine that's up to the discretion of Valve.

Reactor

L1: Registered
Jul 16, 2010
So can no one answer my questions? :S

You have a point, the map kind of does look like a days work.

Anyways, I have a question, can you move/add brushes that they added if it doesn't' change the total layout? This map is like a big square.

I'm stuck in this part and can't decide what to do.

Deity Link

Jun 8, 2010
Cool, apparently Valve mappers have already set the alpha of the ground on the first part. Noticed this when applying a a blendgroundtograss texture to the floor.

Chilly

L6: Sharp Member
May 3, 2008
I haven't posted in a while, but this contest interests me quite a bit. Not as a mapper, but as someone that can give decent feedback. :) A few things I think...

1. The first post reads "YES you can edit the gameplay slightly, it just needs to be obviously this map, no making new routes." Correct me if I'm wrong, but to me that means that if there's a minor gameplay adjustment necessary in an area, like adding a few additional brushes, that it's not going to be a big deal. It sounds like you have to keep the overall layout, routes, and areas the same, but if you need to use brushes to make some LOS blocks or alter the displacements it won't be a problem.

2. To the people complaining about it... if you really don't like it, then don't compete. It's really not that complex. I'm sure Valve has playtested internally before releasing this, since it'd be pretty stupid otherwise. Can we just give them the benefit of the doubt? Complaining achieves nothing.

3. The people that "always win" deserve to win because their work is of such high quality. If you want your work to win then make sure it's of that quality as well. People like me are happy to give feedback, as long as you're willing to listen (not saying you have to do what we say, but rather that you take our advice seriously).

4. Every other contest has given participant badges, correct? There's nothing noting that this will be any different, but if people are competing just to get a badge then they're probably not going to win anyway. :)

5. I'm happy to provide feedback. I'll post in the threads that interest me the most, but if someone really wants feedback and isn't getting any then feel free to send me a PM.

6. Why so serious? I think the best maps are from people that come up with a fun idea and then have fun with it. I think it's clear that a unique idea will win, so if your map starts looking like Dustbowl or Gravel Pit you're probably best rethinking it. :)

/Mr Obvious signing off

GordonFrohman

Jul 16, 2010
I want to take a part in this contest, but I have some questions:

Can I slightly change the map? For example put to one side this cart?
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_W-tg6eBXNJw/TEC9rYroHEI/AAAAAAAAAVM/THA2pJxAWls/s640/artpass_valvebase0000.jpg

Or Can I make a hole in a roof?
And can I make some changes, which don't affect on gameplay? (Adding a little non-shootable holes into the walls) Or adding a new room which is unreachable (like in ctf_2fort on the right side of intels), blocked with unbreakable glass?

Apr 13, 2009
And can I make some changes, which don't affect on gameplay? (Adding a little non-shootable holes into the walls) Or adding a new room which is unreachable (like in ctf_2fort on the right side of intels), blocked with unbreakable glass?

That falls under detailing.

Sounds like a very interesting contest, in the principle, but I'm not sure I like the base map we have to work on. I mean it's not terrible, but it seems nothing special either and very open in some places. :bored:
Plus, a others have said, most non-winning entries will become useless, a couple might become alternatives, like the oh-so-hated 2fort remakes that get more playtime than most of the original maps released on this site...

Question : can we adjust heights/distances, if the layout of routes remains the same ?

Last edited:

l33tz0rx

Jul 16, 2010
I have a question: Can we add wacky stuff? For example, if this were for some odd reason taking place in outer space, could I add a doughnut shop? Heck, if it were taking place on earth, could I add a doughnut shop or something wacky?

Dr. Kukri

Jun 4, 2009
I'm just thinking of all the stuff I can do; creative overflow. Can't decide exactly how to do this one, but i'll give it my best shot with some ideas for the basic bones first, then work on it from there :)

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
I'm already going for a sawmil/swamp theme if we can use the swamp pack.

ColonelBD

Jan 9, 2010
Awesome. I've been mapping for a while but I always fail at the actual building (I either get side-tracked or run into some technical diffuculties) so I might actually have a chance at this. Downloading now.

Mar 23, 2010
i dont like the gamemode, and im not a fan of the layout, but i need some practice detailing so i might enter.