TF2Maps.net Mapping Contest #5: The Art Pass Contest

NovaSilisko

L42: Life, the Universe and Everything
aa
Feb 3, 2009
As a non-mapper all this contest means to me is that you guys won't be producing as many maps for me to test. So I encourage you all to ignore this contest.

I also encourage you all to be as selfish as I am and ignore, and also try your best. Its excellent to have this kind of opportunity.

You can test stonewall with me!

Sep 12, 2008
I just really hope the map plays better than it looks like it does.

There is the problem. Seriously, how can you say 'THE LAYOUT IS HORRIBLE' when you haven't even PLAYED the map. (they were more than an hour on both US and EU server, and you can always play the map with bots).

And if you don't want your work associated with something bad, don't enter the contest.

Dark

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 27, 2009
there are 2 bad sightliness that i found in playing, i hope removing those will be a welcomed edit

Jimmy

L420: High Member
Jul 6, 2009
Looking through hammer I found that valve already started some detailing. Will Valve submit their contest entry? I would love to see it finished.

To start with it was semi-detailed. Zpq then helped to un-detail it for the contest, after he stole it from corey peters(see comic) :p

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
sometimes i think we're a bunch of fellow germans complaining about everything :D
where the answer was already posted, "don't like it, don't compete in it"
i think this is a brilliant possibility for lots of great entries, also for the novice mappers.

but people should be forced to open threads only when they have pictures already. sucks to browse through threads with only 3 out of 10 having actual progress to share
*germanmode over*

Swordz

L5: Dapper Member
Jun 27, 2009
Do we need to add those area portal things for optimization? I can't learn how to do it.

Nutomic

L11: Posh Member
Feb 7, 2009
Quick question:

Would this be considered okay, or does it change gameplay too much already? (the selected brush)

attachment.php

mantari

L1: Registered
Jul 17, 2010
One thing about being a level designer is to work with what you've been given, not to bitch and moan because YOU don't like it. Valve's detailing team doesn't complain because the layout team does something they dislike, they work with it and adapt.
This explains far more than you may, at first, realize.

Géza!

L4: Comfortable Member
May 12, 2008
Holy shit. A contest where I may have the slightest of chance?

Considering how the part of mapping I'm good enough at is visuals... Will be good practice, definitely.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
Anyone else bothered about that house (in func_detail) next to blue spawn which is not on grid? :thumbdown:

LOL that was the first thing i noticed and was like "Grrrrrrrrrr"

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
There is the problem. Seriously, how can you say 'THE LAYOUT IS HORRIBLE' when you haven't even PLAYED the map. (they were more than an hour on both US and EU server, and you can always play the map with bots).

And if you don't want your work associated with something bad, don't enter the contest.
Well unfortunately those hours of playtesting further reinforced the fact the layout isn't all that great. :S