TF2Maps.net Mapping Contest #5: The Art Pass Contest

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
That's not what he's saying. The doors wont open because they get locked when more than 2 players enter the trigger_multiple brush volume, so the bots can't move through them and subsequently get stuck/can't progress; they're not smart enough to understand the glitch and avoid it.

Last edited:

Swordz

L5: Dapper Member
Jun 27, 2009
tupe nav_generate in console ...

I mean, the door don't open, and instead of one of the bots walk back, they just stand there and wait until the door opens (that will never happen)

it's what grazr said

Apr 13, 2009
Question : There's a drop down shortcut that allows red to go to A without having to go all the way around B & stuff. This shortcut is closed by a gate after BLU caps A. Would it be an acceptable gameplay change to replace the dropdown by a one-way door while maintaining the lockdown after cap A ?

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
You probably could do that. I mean that gates already there and the difference in gameplay would probably be miniscule since only FaN scouts, demo's and soldiers could exploit it, and only really as they cap the point if it got rolled at that.

I actually assumed it was a one way door without checking the I/O >.>

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
Scale and Your Map|Stairs and Your Map|Roofs and Your Map|Immersion and Your Map|Layout and Your A/D Map|Base Facades and Your Map

Man. Love those articles. Wish I'd had them a year ago when I started!

I had so many issues with scale, as I'd used the Gordon model to try and gauge height and ended up with cramped spaces. Scaling up the map afterwards turned things into goop, though I've managed to (mostly?) fix it (I still find stay off-grid edges).

High/Low ground the map still has an issue with, but I may not be able to fix that a whole lot, I was using a preexisting (fictional) building layout, but the second round has plenty of ups and downs, as it takes place on the roof of the building--of course that has an issue with sight lines! Good thing the second round still has access to some internal space for alternate routes.

Have some issues with major/minor blue exist (first round more notable), as they probably have too many options, but for any given CP there's probably one major and two minor.

Stairs I have down pretty well (got to add some clip brushes still, but...) though I do have a non-standard design (an actual spiral stair case; two actually in different places) but they're still pretty minor routes. Clip brushing them is not going to be easy! They're a little tricky to navigate at first, but after a few plays they're not too bad.

Immersion is my biggest issue; there just aren't any props that fit the them I'd like to have, and I'm a terrible modeler and have no desire to tolerate XSI. In general my biggest issue is finding props and textures that already exist, as you have to know it by name ("barrier" might not get some good sight blocking cover because it might be named "metal_fence_obstacle"). Or, god forbid, a blue colored wood-slat texture. We need a good tagged database of all the props that exist.

This contest is good practice though.

Cheese

L1: Registered
Apr 2, 2010
Whew I'm kinda late but I think I can make it. :p

Question: Can I add brushes for cosmetical purposes?

Baraleth

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 8, 2008
I have a problem with the map and I wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing this problem. After I had created a skybox and run the map, as I stood on the very top of Cap B I can see a shaded part of the map. But as I get closer, it fades away and the skybox bottom shows.

Heres a link to a picture of what I am talking about.

http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/...n=view&current=artpass_littledude_v120002.jpg

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008

Technoman

Jul 18, 2010
Question. I made it so that C point retracts into the wall until B is captured. This means RED has to go around the pit though it doesn't really affect the shortest path to A/B. Can I do that or do I need to put a grate on top of the pit until C extends?

Nov 14, 2009
Question. I made it so that C point retracts into the wall until B is captured. This means RED has to go around the pit though it doesn't really affect the shortest path to A/B. Can I do that or do I need to put a grate on top of the pit until C extends?

It changes the gameplay in a VERY minor way. However, it does make it impossible to spycap. I woud say that there is no need to add a grate, especialy since it would most likely look stupid in your detailing scheme.

Technoman

Jul 18, 2010
It changes the gameplay in a VERY minor way. However, it does make it impossible to spycap. I woud say that there is no need to add a grate, especialy since it would most likely look stupid in your detailing scheme.

You can still spycap if you ride the platform as it extends. I've tested this with scouts and it'll still count as a win even if you cap before the point is fully visible.

Swordz

L5: Dapper Member
Jun 27, 2009
I've used VBCT to compile the map and saw that VVIS is taking 0 seconds to compile. WTF? is that normal or i have a huge leak?

EDIT: oh, it's a problem with the sky_camera lol, fixed

Last edited:

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Is anybody else having problems with the rock-wall that prevents you from seeing point 2 from the BLU spawn? It seems too thin to do anything with.

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
Is anybody else having problems with the rock-wall that prevents you from seeing point 2 from the BLU spawn? It seems too thin to do anything with.

Agreed. I had some issues with it too. You can make part of it thicker (namely the part outside the fence or above the first floor) you can get away with it, as it will look normal from the blue spawn side, and if connected up to the one building at the end of it, will look normal from that side.