TF2maps.net 72hr Winter Mapping Classic, January 17th, 2014.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
Turns out my map has a comically big hole above the spawn areas that let any rocket jumping capable class break the map sequence.

Turns out hint brushes are not player clips! :confused:

It's funny how being rushed breeds really stupid mistakes.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007

KarmaPolice

L3: Member
Jul 25, 2009
Turns out my map has a comically big hole above the spawn areas that let any rocket jumping capable class break the map sequence.

Turns out hint brushes are not player clips! :confused:

It's funny how being rushed breeds really stupid mistakes.

And my map has crates in the central area that aren't solid because I used the model that doesn't have collision instead of the near-identical other model that does. WHOOPS

Fish 2.0

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 22, 2012
And my map has crates in the central area that aren't solid because I used the model that doesn't have collision instead of the near-identical other model that does. WHOOPS

You have it easy - last year I submitted a test map with the final filename - so I had to go through all this criticism knowing that I fixed a lot of it but it never saw light of day

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
You have it easy - last year I submitted a test map with the final filename - so I had to go through all this criticism knowing that I fixed a lot of it but it never saw light of day

I forgot that... that explains why you were so questioning of it.

With the amount of talk about the formating for names this year, I'm thinking about ways to change the file format name so we don't have to worry about that.

Sep 19, 2010

With the amount of talk about the formating for names this year, I'm thinking about ways to change the file format name so we don't have to worry about that.

Maybe just putting the year in there somewhere? There would also have to be a way to differentiate between summer and winter.

Fish 2.0

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 22, 2012

I wouldn't say that was the reason, it was more of me asking and you saying "yeah yeah" but I wasn't sure you were sure, I asked a final time and hey I was about to submit a file named incorrectly

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
I want to make it easy to identify who the maker is still, so I'm thinking that for the 72hr Summer Mapping Cup 2014 (which I will probably call it), I'll use the <gamemode>_<forumname>_ bit, but then have whatever version you want at the end? I'm not sure, don't quote me on that.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
The problem with the current naming convention is there's no easy way to identify which contest which map belongs to. I like to keep all my maps that I've played, and now I have so many cp_x_72_x that I can't keep track. I can't go "Oh, I want X's map from the 72h contest 2 years ago" because how should I know how many that user had entered.

The gamemode_forumname_72_ format is fine, but instead of just some arbitrary number, have some sort of signifier for which contest it is. Makes it easier on organisation, easier to find the map you want, groups them together a lot nicer (for packs and stuff) and still avoids conflicts.

Garuda112

L1: Registered
Sep 4, 2013
I think a good idea would be to just add an iteration that's an abbreviation of the specific contest. For example, my map would be koth_garuda_72_wmc (winter mapping classic), while the Summer Mapping Cup would be _smc. That would not only keep the prior naming convention but also make each player submission unique per contest. Granted, the names of the contests might have to be more uniquely named so the abbreviation doesn't get too repetitive.

Maybe add the year at the end?

Last edited:

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
A sticky post with links to the voting and/or submission threads might make more sense at that point.. they'll have a list of all the maps, plus a download link.

Assuming the links remain active, anyway.

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
and the summer after this one we'd have koth_garuda_72_smc_2? seems a bit odd that the abbreviations would become longer than the maps/authors name

i suggest being stupidly blunt and adding a simple letter to 72, unique to each contest so we'd have koth_garuda_72a, koth_garuda_72b, etc. etc. by the time we run out of letters tf2 will be long dead anyway
or better yet, koth_72a_garuda for easier sorting

or, alternatively, we can have the next contest be 73 hours :D

Garuda112

L1: Registered
Sep 4, 2013
and the summer after this one we'd have koth_garuda_72_smc_2? seems a bit odd that the abbreviations would become longer than the maps/authors name

Not necessarily. Again, I would be assuming that the name of the contest changes enough so the abbreviations would be unique (like how the major one is the Tale of Two Skillsets). But that brings up a point. The name of each contest would have to be equally different and it might get difficult to think of new ideas without missing the point.

Unless, if the theme was mentioned early (as a possibility mentioned earlier in this thread), the name of the contest was based on the theme.

I just think appending the filename with a number or letter only maintains the confusion from one contest from the next, so we should find a way to avoid it. So far this is the best I can think of.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
mode_72w14_mapname_version
mode_72s14_mapname_version
mode_72w15_mapname_version

etc.