TF2maps.net 72hr Winter Mapping Classic, January 17th, 2014.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Except the 72 hour contest fucks with the config anyway, most of the 72 hour maps shouldn't be getting 30 minutes of testing because there are simply So. Damn. Many.

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
I just think appending the filename with a number or letter only maintains the confusion from one contest from the next, so we should find a way to avoid it. So far this is the best I can think of.

not if you announce the letter of the contest loud and clear :p

Sep 19, 2010
I'm working on a compilation video of all the contest entries. If anyone wants their name listed differently than their username, please let me know within the next day or two.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
Friendly reminder not to play the same maps over and over, we literally don't have time to do that if we want all 30 to get their fair share of exposure

Fish 2.0

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 22, 2012

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
There is no first and second part, it is one idea. It could be one digit shorter by using thread number instead of post, but length isn't even the issue, just that it is an arbitrary number you need to remember and does remind anyone offhand what it was.

I suggest mode_yearseason72_name
cp_2014w72_aboojumsnark
koth_2015s72_supersandvich

It is a little long, but it is easy to remember pieces that make sense. Maybe W/S doesn't make so much sense, especially with the southern hemisphere, but eh. Could do A/B too... ooor no because alpha/beta. The main advantage I see here it is you can "construct" the tag out of knowledge about when it happened, rather than having to remember an arbitrary number or letter sequence.

The only thing I could see being better, is if any future contests have a theme again, use that for the naming tag. We don't need to name the map before we start, so unveiling the theme at, or a few days before, the start is fine.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
I just wanted to clarify and remind folk, you ARE allowed to enter your 72hr map into the AT2SS contest and update it during the voting period, but please make sure that during the voting period you are extremely clear during any tests of an updated map that it is an UPDATED map and that judging should NOT occur based on the updated version. If you are NOT entering your 72hr map into the AT2SS contest, then please be even more proactive about this, or just wait to update until the voting period is over on Feb 5th. (I am talking about public releases and tests, you can work on your map, just not have a public release or test.)

If I hear, hear of or see anyone pushing an updated 72hr contest map as their ENTRY into the 72HR contest (that is, you are telling people to judge an updated version for voting), I will take actions towards you which could include (but is not limited to), docking voted points or disqualification based on the severity. If you see or hear of anyone who has been doing this, please tell me immediately so I can investigate.

This shouldn't be an issue, but I just want to make it clear.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Here's a big chunk of text I sent to frozen tonight, talking about why I didn't like the theme and what I'd do for a theme next time

Celery: You need a prompt that doesn't make people immediately think of a gameplay mechanic prevalent in tf2
Celery: You can't say "prep up!" and not expect most people to just go with setup time, especially when there's only a little while to think of an idea before you have to make a map in an also little while
Celery: When people only have a small time to make a map, most people are going to default to the easy way, which is exactly what happened
Celery: There were some creative entries but YM and Vacon were right, most of them were maps with the theme tacked on, likely because the theme was an after thought
Celery: If I was to make theme next time having seen the result of this contest
Celery: I'd make something that literally forces people to bend around it, like the idea you had of the piece of music
Celery: If you make it something weird, then they can't just have it "play in the map" like a peice of music
Celery: They'd have to think about what exactly triggers it and how /that/ plays into the map
Celery: Like making the charge-up sound from the skyhammer in GW2 ( http://youtu.be/8fB3ZzqAODs?t=15s )
Celery: That begs "giant laser that fires"
Celery: Even if people default to "giant laser that fires", they still have to be creative with how to implement a giant laser that fires
Celery: Whereas people don't need to think to implement a setup time because it's already down to a science in tf2
Celery: So now you've got 20 different implementations of a giant laser that fires, I can guarantee all of them are pretty much different, and then you have room for the really creative people that bend it to something that /isn't/ a giant laser
Celery: Basically my point is you need to find a theme where the "default thought" is something you still need to work to creatively implement and isn't something that's already a big part of tf2

Sep 19, 2010
Ya'll got 1 week left to vote.

Please make sure that you NAME your top, or I won't count the vote. I see a lot of "Here's 5 I like" ... I can't count those, need to know the definite 3.

When exactly is the last day to vote? February 5th?

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013