TF2Maps.net 72hr Summer Mapping Contest, June 27th, 2014

MrHatlf

engineer main, majoring in exploiting
Feb 6, 2013
you can begin 'sketching' out, on paper,
Are we allowed to use MS Paint for this, or does it absolutely have to be handwritten on paper?

Bakscratch

Finisher of Maps
aa
Oct 29, 2010
Damn these rules are getting harsh!

TyeZenneth

L6: Sharp Member
May 31, 2014
VwsfFhC.jpg

Following that, a serious question: there's no official sign-up for this, right? 'cause I may or may not get involved depending on how I feel about the theme and whether or not my current map is doing okay by then.

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
Just a quick tip to everyone, don't overwork yourselves! Make sure you get a good amount of rest between mapping sessions. Not only will it help keep you active and healthy, but ideas will spring to your mind while sleeping that you can put in your map.

That's what happens with me anyway.

Try it!

RubbishyUser

L7: Fancy Member
Feb 17, 2013
The theme was properly guessed (exactly!) today, and, as I said I would during the test, I released the theme + reference pack.

But, don't think this is over -just- yet. (See you tomorrow!)

Sorry, where is this information? I couldn't take part in the test.

Coolz

L2: Junior Member
Sep 19, 2013
Oh I am so frikken in. I have been mapping for a couple of years now and I need a real challenge. This'll just be one of em. Good luck to you other gentlemen mappers entering.

RubbishyUser

L7: Fancy Member
Feb 17, 2013
Now I've seen the theme, I'm totally freaking out about how you'd create a map with the theme of alien attack without a single model or even a texture related to space. I ain't making that over 3 days. Frozen, you'd better deliver some peace to my mind with whatever you have in store tomorrow.

Also, totally call that the major mapping contest will be to make a moonbase map, using assets provided by Valve. And I am hyped. I actually vaguely predicted that the theme would be related to space when I was stalking you for a bit when you said the theme was related to your personal interests in the Kritzkast interview, but I disregarded it based upon the reasons above.

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
Now I've seen the theme, I'm totally freaking out about how you'd create a map with the theme of alien attack without a single model or even a texture related to space. I ain't making that over 3 days. Frozen, you'd better deliver some peace to my mind with whatever you have in store tomorrow.

Also, totally call that the major mapping contest will be to make a moonbase map, using assets provided by Valve. And I am hyped. I actually vaguely predicted that the theme would be related to space when I was stalking you for a bit when you said the theme was related to your personal interests in the Kritzkast interview, but I disregarded it based upon the reasons above.

Make some! Propper should do you fine to make simple models with the limited time you have, you can always replace them with actual models after the contest.

And yeah, it's annoying we can't have this contest with the alien theme until AFTER the moonbase update, but oh well. We'll have to be more creative ;)

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008

I'm thinking the same thing. I can't imagine how I'm gonna shoehorn aliens into an undetailed alpha-state map in any sort of meaningful way, but I'm gonna wait until tomorrow before I criticize it I suppose.