TF2M Annual Major Contest # 3

Vigilante212

L420: High Member
Dec 21, 2008
Well im tossing my hat into the ring. Started blocking my map today. So far all I have are general ideas and a crude drawing to go by :). and a map name plr_dead run

Fearlezz

L10: Glamorous Member
May 4, 2008
There is only 75 days left ppl! :O

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
I know there has been a little discussion of this but I was thinking about it so....

I really think before the contest is over a convention should be come to on the map type extension.

ie:ctfp (push) or ctfr(reverse)

Really, this is a new gamemode that is far enough from others (just like plr) that it really should be catagorized as such.

Not just so you get those listed seperately in steam but also for map voting.

Servers like Calculated Chaos have huge lists of maps to rtv on. I really think it would help players when choosing maps. Both in choosing a server and or rtv situations.
There are times when you wanna play a ctf map. And these maps are not the same gameplay AT ALL. I can also see the same for when people start to get used to the gamemode and want to play it, not a ctf.
There are getting to be so many custom maps now it can be hard to keep track of names of maps you like, muchless the name AND gameplay type.

It's easy enough to remember Pipeline is a race map, so even if valve just called it a pl it wouldn't take long for most people to get the idea.
But there are what, at least 12 new ctf mode maps in this contest, plus others people have done and I'm sure more of this type to come later.

with ctfr (or p) it would still come up in steam in the same general area of searches (as opposed to pctf or rctf) which would list in a completely different area.

But now would be the time to do it, before people get confused by the prefix, before the contest maps get into the final stages and early enough that any non-contest missions will adapt and follow suit.

So what do you guys say?

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
I agree with Boojum.

Also, I've boycotted the name ctf-push, so I wouldn't use ctfp. and ctf reverse implies two intels, so I wouldn't use ctfr.
ptf? plant the flag

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
Well, personally I don't care much for the gameplay, hence my main reason for wanting a different prefix.
And I know I'm not alone.

If you wanna play CP you play CP (now dustbowl, granary and gravelpit are all different for sure) but they are much more similar than ctf and wtfctf.

My point being that if a plr map comes up I am very likely to quit or not joint the server. Same goes for this mode. If I'm in the mood fine, but why should I or anyone else have to load, wait and observer to see that it is a completely different gamemode?
But now I also have to memeorize which maps are not ctf so if I rtv I don't have to quit because I nominated a map that isn't ctf?

I can see absolutely no benefit or reason to make a new gamemode and arbitrarily pick and old gamemode prefix for it leading to confusion/frustration for people who support custom maps. Intel doesn't make a map CAPTURE the Flag. It simply means there is a flag in the gamemode.

I think DrP has probably made the best suggestion so far. (PTF ftw). That's descriptive of the gamemode. It actually is very straight to the point, ctf is completely misleading. (as ctfr or ctfp probably are also.