Temple

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
pls pls try to be on sunday gameday,i love this map and want to play on new version

Thanks for the love =)

I tried a quick run through last night with latest test version and 2 game stopping bugs were found.

1. Capping the intel counts towards YOUR points, and is capable.. however the team score doesnt move.

The only change i did which might be the reason is to get ride of the Announcer spam i changed properties in the "Item_teamflag" from..

Game Type - CTF
to
Game Type - Invade

2. Next issue idk.. ive done nothing with game settings anywhere else, however the game starts on a roughly 9 minute timer gets to 0:00 and stays there for however long the game it.

I didn't have this issue before, and i haven't changed a thing however i feel it may have to do with in "Team_Round_Timer" setting "Timer Length" the setting is 600, which would be about 10:00minutes.

Those issues fixed along with clipping, red's spawn door *ty Roden* and some more startup doors/...and clipping again i should have a working _a4 =)

Fireman

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 21, 2008
Had a lot of fun running around earlier with you guys: here are some thoughts.

The intel locations themselves are really well designed, I didn't see any immediately obvious spots where invulnerable sentries could be built. Demos/soldiers can try camping from above on the arches, but they lose so much health just getting up there, they're not too hard to get down if they annoy you too much.

Like Fox said, if one team started to dominate, they could pretty easily camp the other's spawn room with a demo or two.

I love the middle arena, it's really lends itself to big showdowns, and it's glorious looking to boot (heavy likes). What bothered me though was the corners of the sunken area, the way the stairs meet and just half there is kind of odd looking.
rctf_temple_a4_40001.jpg

This might just be something that only annoys me, though.

I didn't have any problems with health and ammo distribution, whenever I needed it, I could find it.

Great map, looking forward to what you're going to do with it!

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
Ok so many many days later from a gameday test and with amazing feedback _a4 is now released.

Quick list, then more in depth.

Fixes/Changes:
  • Fixed spawn door issue on blue side
  • Fixed shooting through and changed startup doors
  • Changed middle of the map
  • Added time to return the flag. WAS 5 NOW 8
  • Added items to under temple to promote use.
  • Removed Spire on the side full path use
  • Added stairs from the side towards intel
  • changed startup from 1minute to 35 seconds
  • Flags can no longer be picked up before round start.
  • Better team coloring
  • Redid ALL item placement
  • Reduced and changed capture area.
  • Demoman now has a much harder time to SJ in
  • Moved intel back a ways to prevent Scouts quick caping.
  • Removed / Changed Invisible setup walls.
  • Lots of clipping.
  • Added / Changed right side building.
  • Redid intel area to give more cover.
  • Added ramps/ledges around intel area.
  • Teams now have no_build in front of spawn rooms.
  • Rebuilt the entire map

Roughly that covers most of everything that was mentioned on gameday testing as well as taking care of some issues which may arise.

There is still issue of Announcer spam and although i doubt it... Spawn Camping.

There has been some feedback from internal testing about removing the side paths completely.

I did a little more detailing...

Alpha _A3 Compile: Brushes--2262/8192--27144/98304--(27.6%)

Alpha _A4 Compile: Brushes--3384/8192--40608/98304--(41.3%)

The reason i rebuilt the map as mentioned above was for optimization reasons.

Before it was all hidden behind a pillar/inside a pillar. I rebuilt it all so that pillars aside, every wall is flush with the next. ALL on the grid, ALL at a 45 degree or 90 degree angle.

^This allows me to make more detailed changes without pissing off the Hammer gods with Invalid Verticals =p

Being an Alpha im not at all worried about texture mismatching or such. Thank you though. In beta I will go through and give it all a face lift.

FPS wise is surprisingly well.. being that it is fast_vis. Hopefully its because i built it better then the first =)

Thank you all very much for the given feedback and time taken to look and help with the map. You can look through this topic or through the gameday's to see each comment was highly looked into and most all resulted in a change / tweak to the map.

I'm not going to post this anywhere else till beta, however if anyone has a server feel free to add this to rotation as i would love more feedback.

~Enjoy and Thank You all.

-----
Rctf_Temple_A4
-----

Last edited:

Hellfire

L9: Fashionable Member
Jul 9, 2008
ah awesom! cant wait for GD

Hellfire

Jul 9, 2008
here some shots,mb useful

and i hope u will detalise those new routes and ramps that aree "orange" now.
waiting for GD

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
here some shots,mb useful

and i hope u will detalise those new routes and ramps that aree "orange" now.
waiting for GD

Ya i remembered about the setup timer to 0.00 when i went to bed last night lol urgh.

I noticed the no draw as well however i figure since it is a placeholder texture *dev* ill leave it for now =p

The FPS in the very start has to do with your PC. Mine does it as well. I think its with tf2 setting up the gametype and server for the map *or so i read on here a long time ago* I tested to see if it was the observer point however the fps there seemed ok. Not sure =(

Thanks a ton for the heads up, now i gotta wonder if the 0.00 is game breaking.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
I think the visuals are great in this map. Very good use of the egypt tex.
But I think the hieroglyphics are a bit overused. I'd probably suggest more bricks and only strips of hiero's instead of walls of them.

There's also that brown to grey fade dirty brick texture with stock tf2 stuff that I think people should take advantage of with egypt settings. It would work well and help give a little more visual punch and color. Especially the bottom half of it.

I think maybe there are too many paths, and it got me thinking about my map when playing.

If someone gets out around the far outside its hard to get to them to stop them.
Funny enough that was a complaint on my map too, but I have no paths down the middle. Your map has ALOT of possible routes, drop ins, etc...
I think keeping all play in middle and getting rid of far outside path would help.

Its also easy to get to the enemies spawns as you have to go above AND past them to get to intel. Maybe one exit should be above and one below.

I wont mention the flag dropping into ground, never respawning bug as I'm sure you're aware of it now ;)

When polished I think this will be a pretty cool map.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
ok, update from gameday on Saturday the 23rd.

Having played that day and watched the gameday demo here is the stuff that was mentioned.

misspelling "to"
check flag naming. (flag error)
change textures on pillars
spawn camping issue
openness? (I don't think so, but willing to change)
FPS?
Sentries, useless? (I don't think so, but willing to change)

The list is rather small in comparison from previous gameday. So ether its a great sign.. or a bad one =p

Anyways, i noticed when watching the gameday demo that the the side buildings that i honestly thought were going to be the most used spot because they give the largest advantage where well... not gone into more then twice in 30 minutes lol.

eiygorbo94mi717xq60u.jpg

The middle was more used, the sides had a bit more traffic but still weighs up the fact that i should get rid of them.. i think.

Mr.Blob

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jun 12, 2009
I don't get this map, what is it supposed to be? - Saying that it's very sexy. :3

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
A Temple.. it's called ctf_temple. He even included a dictionary reference of the word "temple". How could it be anything other than a temple?

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
i don't get this map, what is it supposed to be? - saying that it's very sexy. :3

a temple.. It's called ctf_temple. He even included a dictionary reference of the word "temple". How could it be anything other than a temple?

lol!!!

Hellfire

Jul 9, 2008
isit dead isitdead? aww pls tell me it isnt dead :D

v1ND

L1: Registered
Jun 17, 2009
Why do I really want to see some elements from the swamp pack added into this? The trees in particular.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
isit dead isitdead? aww pls tell me it isnt dead :D

Sadly, yes. Due to the fact i wasn't close to completing this and the frame rate was already suffering =(. Because its a pretty straight forward map there really is no good was to optimize it.

One day i might pick it up again to see what i can do, my problem is I'm stubborn and would rather ditch the project then have to change away from the map i envisioned.

Why do I really want to see some elements from the swamp pack added into this? The trees in particular.

Ya the map when i sketched it up had a ton of foliage.. TON of foliage that is supposed to be around it.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
self necro.

Its been a while and a lot/all of the images in the thread were lost a long with the map due to a PC crash about 9 months ago.

Boojum has been pushing me to work on this again and I haven't had the .bsp even to take apart to restart it however..

Luckly he did =)

So thanks to him I'll be working on this again and some updated screenshots as the thread is lacking. Compressed from 1920x1200

rctf_temple_a4f10007.jpg

Center looking up--ish

rctf_temple_a4f10006.jpg

corner out of play

rctf_temple_a4f10005.jpg

inside

rctf_temple_a4f10004.jpg

looking down the middle

rctf_temple_a4f10003.jpg

otherside

rctf_temple_a4f10002.jpg

looking out from flag

rctf_temple_a4f10001.jpg

overview

rctf_temple_a4f10000.jpg

inside

Hopefully i get get some life back into this and work on the gametype.

There is still MANY issues with the map im trying to fix as far as getting it fun and not well.. spammy.