Surprise Manniversary Update and Sale

Bloodhound

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 3, 2011
No idea, but better mapping with some errors then not mapping. :)
Selecting a world model don´t work -> crash.

EDIT:
Can´t see the units next to the brush.

Last edited:

ThePhlubs

L1: Registered
Oct 7, 2011
No idea, but better mapping with some errors then not mapping. :)
Selecting a world model don´t work -> crash.

Yea, and now I've lost connection to the steam cloud for ten minutes straight. Gah, I hope they fix this mess soon. :[

Doctor Paprika

L4: Comfortable Member
Apr 24, 2011
Fun facts about the alleged bait and switch:

1. The Steam Terms of Service and End User License Agreement 100% guarantee that nothing they did was illegal

2. Valve never advertised the hats in question as craftable in store; people on SPUF (not to bash SPUF, but that's where it happened) read the patch notes, figured out a way to exploit craftability, and this was quickly patched by Valve.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
TOS and End User agreements are contracts to use a service or products, not a replacement for local laws. They're legally binding contracts, but you can challenge them, especially if the provider does something illegal or requires the user to do something illegal.

An extreme example that people like to toss around is a TOS that insists you kill someone to use their service. People are quick to laugh at this and say it obviously wouldn't be okay, but for some reason if it breaks consumer protection laws that are not well understood by the public, then that's okay and somehow "allowed" by the TOS.

But still I seriously doubt Valve will see a class action suit out of this, even if it could legally be justified (not that you actually need legal justification to file a lawsuit in the first place).

The real problem for them is a PR issue. In general, it's NOT a good idea to piss off the people who are actively spending money on your product. For that reason alone, I think they'll make an effort at making things right.

Personally I was looking forward to crafting away some of the Polycount dupes I had. I'd traded for the vintage ones, so the originals I bought from the store were sitting there unused and non-tradeable, non-craftable. At worst though, it means nothing's changed.

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
2. Valve never advertised the hats in question as craftable in store; people on SPUF (not to bash SPUF, but that's where it happened) read the patch notes

hold it

if it's written by valve in the patch notes, isn't it advertised?

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
TOS and End User agreements are contracts to use a service or products, not a replacement for local laws. They're legally binding contracts, but you can challenge them, especially if the provider does something illegal or requires the user to do something illegal.

An extreme example that people like to toss around is a TOS that insists you kill someone to use their service. People are quick to laugh at this and say it obviously wouldn't be okay, but for some reason if it breaks consumer protection laws that are not well understood by the public, then that's okay and somehow "allowed" by the TOS.

But still I seriously doubt Valve will see a class action suit out of this, even if it could legally be justified (not that you actually need legal justification to file a lawsuit in the first place).

The real problem for them is a PR issue. In general, it's NOT a good idea to piss off the people who are actively spending money on your product. For that reason alone, I think they'll make an effort at making things right.

Personally I was looking forward to crafting away some of the Polycount dupes I had. I'd traded for the vintage ones, so the originals I bought from the store were sitting there unused and non-tradeable, non-craftable. At worst though, it means nothing's changed.

Fun fact: Claim this "local law" thingy to get around steam's "No refunds" restriction.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Fun fact: Claim this "local law" thingy to get around steam's "No refunds" restriction.

...not really related to my point, but okay.

There's nothing illegal about a no refunds clause in a TOS. If you force a refund (for instance, by taking it up with your credit card company), you violate the TOS and Valve closes your account.

Again, a terms of service means just that... it's the terms for whether a company will or will not provide you a service. It doesn't absolve a company of legal wrongdoing.

And to be clear, I don't care at all about the outcome of this hat thing. I'm not championing anyone's cause nor am I even suggesting that Valve did anything illegal (I do think it was kind of dickish, but that doesn't make it wrong). I'm just saying that a TOS doesn't magically supercede the law like so many SPUFers believe.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
4.gif
4.gif
4.gif
4.gif
4.gif

hydragorgon

Feb 20, 2011
After this recent patch my hammer wont boot anymore. I've rebooted the computer, updated sdk and everything. the model viewer works fine, but my hammer just wont go. is anybody else having this problem?

hydragorgon

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
i got the 2007 hammer to launch. opened sdk, then went to source2007/bin nd doubleclicked the hammer there. it launched, but failed to load the scheme file so 2d views dont work. i had to reconfigure it tho

edit: copying working exe to orangebox didnt help, it didnt launch

Last edited:

ThePhlubs

Oct 7, 2011
i got the 2007 hammer to launch. opened sdk, then went to source2007/bin nd doubleclicked the hammer there. it launched, but failed to load the scheme file so 2d views dont work. i had to reconfigure it tho

edit: copying working exe to orangebox didnt help, it didnt launch

Changed the .exe out for the one that Bloodhound suggested, same issue.
Guess we just have to wait for Valve to get their act together.

Scratch that, just opened hammer with no issues! All the 2D views are working! Valve fixed it?

Another Bad Pun

In the shadows, he saw four eyes lit by fire
aa
Jan 15, 2011
My Hammer works just fine excluding the random christmas lights it likes to put in during compile:

A18825F605C1A63602EAD4B689275849A915E228

English Mobster

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 10, 2011
Just opened the SDK. Hammer runs fine (haven't compiled anything as of yet, though), I just get a log full of redtext at the bottom of the screen after I open Hammer but before I open a map. Looks like it doesn't like tf.fgd, whatever that is. Lines 1312 and 1314 aren't what it was expecting.
Doesn't seem to affect how Hammer runs, but it MAY affect compiles. I don't know what exactly the tf.fgd manages.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
The problem is a lone ] character outside of the nearby entity definitions, but it does not seem to be an issue, as all the entities after the error get loaded anyway. I suspect they improved the parsing code because such things used to cause horrible problems.

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
Sorry if anyones already mentioned this but: There was an expected SDK update

Maybe thats why the SDK is not working. because it's getting modified and so we currently have a mucked up version.

Last edited: