Slate

Slate b2

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Youme, what if you made this map with early morning lighting? That's something I don't think has been done yet.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Granary seems more autumn/cold to me, but Well has a morning 2d skybox. However, the lighting of those maps doesn't capture an early morning as Rexy suggested. I agree, I think you should explore some sort of lighting like that.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Suddenly realised that viaduct has a morning skybox, tried it out and it looks pretty good if you ask me :)

things to look forward to in the next version:
  • No more rain (so waffle flames! :D) and a lighter environment
  • Improved clipping and a more optimised physics collision lump (less props with collisions turned on)
  • More directional signs.
  • Replaced that placeholder brush with a no entry sign over all the doors that get locked in stage 3.
  • Greater amount of detail, particularly in stage 3.
  • More sizable block and capture zones.*

I'm also taking the delve into occluders, never used them before, here goes!

* People complained before that they didnt know where the capture and block zones were because they were poorly marked..... (mainly icarus) and to you i say: Quit yer bitchin boy! The capture and block zones were perfectly marked but the quite clear hazard tape around them, if you werent in the haz tape box, you wern't in the cap.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Well i know the theory behind them I've just never found anywhere where I needed one or thought that I could realistically use one.

Also adding today:
  • Fade distances to a load of props
  • Visualisers for when point is blocked
  • Announcer's voice

Aug 19, 2008
Ze defenses were breached to quickly

I´m a halfway decent engineer, but there was so little i could do to defend

*no obvious sentry-positions
*seemingly effective positions could be taken out too easily from several directions
*not enough ammo to build up a proper defense before the round starts

other things
*too small and fiddly blocking-zone
*needs a few more signs, there was always confusion where the first point might be
*3rd stage 2nd point was ignored, too close to attackers, too far for defenders
*not enough time to rebuild on 2 after 1st cap
*confusion over which doors to use in stage 3 (use the no-go textured door once it locks)
*could use some verticality, it feels so two-dimensional
*the important cap-buildings look visually too bland, nothing special that indicates that they are important

i look forward for the new skybox you are planning, i don´t like sawmill atmosphere, to depressing

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2009
Eerieone has a point. In playing the map today, we were practically steamrolled until cap 1 stage 3 where an engie set up a turret in the house right in front of blue spawn, and another somewhere else that held them off for the whole last round. We also managed to run into the building with a dual (back to back) kritz soldier (Nine) who decimated the blue team and opened up the spawn camping floodgates. Consider blocking off entrances to the blue spawn building in stage 3 and somehow giving blue a chance. Maybe it was teams, but the little mini-chokepoint after the open area right outside of their spawn was a battleground. They could have made a WWII movie from it :D

Aside from that bit the map kicks ass. Good luck changing the skyboxes though :)

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
* People complained before that they didnt know where the capture and block zones were because they were poorly marked..... (mainly icarus) and to you i say: Quit yer bitchin boy! The capture and block zones were perfectly marked but the quite clear hazard tape around them, if you werent in the haz tape box, you wern't in the cap.

I was just teasing :O

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Youme, I just don't feel like there's enough metal for defensive engineers in this map, especially the 2nd (and 3rd) capture points in each stage of the map. I've played this map at least 5 times now and each time I'm scrambling for metal, only to be quickly overrun.

Feb 14, 2008
I like maps that don't favour engineers, it makes it quick and fast-paced rather than the usual grind dirge. It also favours Slate's timer which is much shorter than other maps.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
I thought the map played great. Engineers locked down the final cap easily for aout 6-7 minutes until we managed to take them all down using a bit of teamwork.

Aug 19, 2008
At least pimp up the ammopacks on the earlier points, i had to scavange several small ammopacks to get a somewhat decent defense going, and when the round started i was out of ammo to repair my sentry

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Fuck engineers, kill people and get 100 ammo, there's your metal

If it's a class's god damn job to find metal to build his crap, then you shouldn't have to hold their hand

Engineers are a non-combat class. Vis-a-vis it's like telling the medic to kill people to use his medigun.