Skyrail

Skyrail 1.2

Hamm Mann I #TF2Center

L1: Registered
Mar 29, 2021
Skyrail - is it 2002 again?

20210722161339_1.jpg

Hey, it's me. Hamm Mann, more well known as LazyPurple Clips. and i don't normally make maps. but this time i found a forgotten Gmod map and thought to myself "what if i turn this into a TF2 map?" so i combined this with a domination mode prefab and i got myself a winner.
20210722161409_1.jpg

How do you play Uplink? it's pretty much Domination but it takes a longer ammount of time to earn the points. (so that games can be longer and more intense) (credit to the gamemode prefab goes to this guy: https://tf2maps.net/downloads/domination-gamemode-prefab-player-destruction.11221/)
20210722161436_1.jpg

And that's not all, i also decided to leave in the VMF file. why? so that you can make the other gamemodes for me lol
20210722161422_1.jpg

D

Deleted member 33500

Heyo!
I looked at this map, and I get that this is a port of a map from Garry's mod (from which arises the question: Did you get permission from the original creator to port this map to TF2? It would be also useful to put a link in the description to the original map to credit the author.), however the map has quite a handful of issues.
You put this map on the bot, which probably means you want feedback, so here is what I have to say:
  1. The custom music is too loud, as it is distracting from more important sounds like team call-outs, or spy decloaks.
  2. You forgot to pack the custom textures, which results into an unpleasant purple-black texture to be displayed in the places where the custom textures are.
  3. You can get outside of the map quite easily, as there is no clipping on the outside displacements, and there are variety of holes on them. You should try sewing your displacements, and checking them for any loose holes afterwards. Though I would clip off the border/map wall displacements altogether.
  4. There is no proper respawn room, and you can see the enemies respawning in their spawn from your spawn, which can lead to snipers dominating the map.
  5. You can't go through some of the doorways without needing to crouch, probably should make them bigger.
There is probably more issues I did not notice, as I am not good at feedbacking, but I assumed you wanted feedback, so feel free to take any of this into consideration for the next version.

Hamm Mann I #TF2Center

L1: Registered
Mar 29, 2021
Before i continue, i might as well explain a couple things i CAN'T fix.

The sniper spawncamp issue. i can mitigate it by adding more spawns behind cover, but sadly i can't completely fix the issue, mainly becaue of the design of the map itself. i never said it was a good map lol.

Some of the areas where you have to crouch: i can fix a lot of these, but sadly the entry to the red base and that one stair area in the blue base are out of my reach because deleting one of the frames for the red spawn deletes one of the parts of detail entirely, and the stair area because any changes would make it too unnatural to play.

A bug where you get stuck in the cable car when riding it: i can't fix this one, but i can tell you how to lower it's effect. JUMP AT A TURN, that limits your chances of getting stuck. use the cable car at your own risk.

The missing texture reflecting in red's spawn: maybe this is something that i'm missing in the hammer settings, but eh. it looks nice anyway.

Anyways, let's discuss the updates:
Added new spawn areas to limit the ammount that snipers can spawncamp.
Added names to the cap areas for extra character.
Fixed the windows on the cable car. can't fix the floor, but the windows stuck out the most.
Added a trigger_hurt on the skybox ceiling to limit going out of bounds.
Added an easter egg wih the Yule Hog somewhere in the map, and another more secret area.
Added an updated source file.
(i would have added more camera areas but i forgot until after i compiled the map lol)

Read the rest of this update entry...