Removing sound

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Zeklyn, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Zeklyn

Zeklyn L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Is it any way to remove a sound, or remove sound from a small room so no one outside can hear it?
    I'm currently making a hidden room with sentries and you can hear the sentries outside.
    Hope anyone can help me

Pardon my bad english

2. Moonrat

aa Moonrat The end of an era

Positive Ratings:
    As far as I know, the only way you can get it so people can't hear the sound is moving it away

3. Zeklyn

Positive Ratings:
    Agh ok

4. Vel0city

aa Vel0city personal pick-pocketing parrot

Positive Ratings:
    Sounds play if they're "visible" for the player in that room. What I mean by that is if the room with the sentries is being rendered, the sound also plays, even if you're in another room. If the room isn't rendered, the sound doesn't play.

Look into map optimization here: http://www.optimization.interlopers.net . Normally it's used to make maps as smooth running as possible by making less things render at the same time, but in this situation you use it to seal off a room from another to make sounds not play.

5. Zeklyn

Positive Ratings:
    Hm interesting, i'll look into it

6. worMatty

aa worMatty Repacking Evangelist

Positive Ratings:
    Computer says no!

If the room with the sentry is connected to the room the player is standing in, the player will hear the sentry regardless of whether or not the room is being rendered.

If the room with the sentry is cut off from the room the player is standing in, so there is no passageway between them at all and the only way to get there would be teleportation or noclip, the sounds from the sentry will not be heard.

If you wanted the sentries to be silent, you could spawn them only when they are needed using a point_template. Or have them in separate part of the map and parent them to a moving brush entity, or use teleport logic, to bring them in when the players are present.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Zeklyn

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks!
    Didnt think about using point_template

8. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    Audio uses the potentionaly audible set, not the potentially visible set.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. RodionJenga

RodionJenga L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Or you could try adding some other sounds to mask the sentry beeps.