Oh god, Oh god, what have you done?!?!?

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
A bunch of fanboys you are. Don't any of you do anything other than lap up any new change as "awwweeesummm" every time Valve does something? How about the idea of making new content and new maps instead of turning the old ones into a blur of variations. How will you know what map is what map now if they're in a constant state of flux?
trolling internets +1

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008

noooo1.jpg

Delusibeta

L3: Member
Mar 21, 2009
I'll look forward to when the model sources are release (for very easy re-skinning), but apart from that it's going to flood the custom servers with more cheap Valve map rip-offs.

Wait, isn't that what Valve wanted?

ChickenHunter

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 12, 2008
i am tempted to rotate all of 2fort upside down and release that on fpsb with the pictures flipped so it looks normal.

evanonline

L420: High Member
Mar 15, 2009
i am tempted to rotate all of 2fort upside down and release that on fpsb with the pictures flipped so it looks normal.

I would play that. Seriously.

Also, is it me or did they break the model viewer in Hammer with this update? Dunno if it's been mentioned elsewhere but it's certainly been quite a crux in my mapping plans.

evanonline

L420: High Member
Mar 15, 2009
Oh, good.

I can't believe I didn't think of just using the prop library instead. I have it downloaded, but I never use it for some reason! Derp.

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
I don't think there's much to worry about. It looks like the "source files" are really just decompiled. I loaded up dustbowl and it's exactly the same as the vmex'd decompile. There's even the missing tf_gamerules entity.

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
Uh no, these aren't decompiles. For one they have occluders, which I've never seen in any decompile.

Then why are there broken outputs from the logic_auto? Or why would Valve never nodraw* the backs of their walls and floors? And there's no way Valve makes brushes in such an aukward, robotic way.

I never said they used vmex (edit: oh, it looked like I did. But that's not what I meant), I'm sure Valve has a fantastic internal decompiler. But they ain't giving us the real source files.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2009
Then why are there broken outputs from the logic_auto?

Well, no matter how the vmf was obtained, if it's broken, it's broken, you can't decompile that wrong. I assume there used to be a tf_gamerules in an early version of the map, then they removed it.
OR, the game creates a default tf_gamerules and calling it by its entity name works if there is only one. I'm not sure about that one but it used to work in goldsource...

Or why would Valve never noclip the backs of their walls and floors? And there's no way Valve makes brushes in such an aukward, robotic way.

Err... I assume you mean nodraw ? In that case, there is just no point in 'nodrawing' something that is going to be removed entirely by the compiler anyway. and it's painful to do by hand.
VMex does it because it can't know what used to be there.
As for brushes, I don't see what you mean ?

The only thing that ticks me is the absence of visgroups. But it could be that Valve's mappers don't need it or use the codon tool.

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
What I mean by making brushes in a robotic way is that it looks like game geometry is taken and split into brushes, instead of brushes that look like a real person made them. You'd think you'd see some nuances in the brush-work if it were the real source file, but it looks like compiled geometry was split up with a clipping tool.

And yes, I meant nodraw. The textures on the backs of brushes is sloppy. And in between brushes, you see the same somewhat-arbitrarily applied textures that you see when you use the clipping tool in hammer. Again, it's like a robot made it.

I'm not the only person that builds brushes in nodraw and then textures the sides I need, right? I just assumed most people did that because it keeps it as optimized as possible.

That, and you'd think if any maps would compile with no errors, they'd be Valve maps...

Last edited:

Nutomic

L11: Posh Member
Feb 7, 2009
tf_gamerules

This is an entity automatically spawned in Team Fortress 2.

That means you don't have to place it in Hammer, as it's already created automatically ingame :p

Anyway, also have that problem with the model browser, hope I get it fised :)

Feb 14, 2008
What I mean by making brushes in a robotic way is that it looks like game geometry is taken and split into brushes, instead of brushes that look like a real person made them. You'd think you'd see some nuances in the brush-work if it were the real source file, but it looks like compiled geometry was split up with a clipping tool.

And yes, I meant nodraw. The textures on the backs of brushes is sloppy. And in between brushes, you see the same somewhat-arbitrarily applied textures that you see when you use the clipping tool in hammer. Again, it's like a robot made it.

I'm not the only person that builds brushes in nodraw and then textures the sides I need, right? I just assumed most people did that because it keeps it as optimized as possible.

That, and you'd think if any maps would compile with no errors, they'd be Valve maps...

I build in nodraw.

Why would Valve not keep the .vmfs for their own maps? It seems a silly point to argue.