Midwest

PL Midwest rc1a

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

MegapiemanPHD

Doctorate in Deliciousness
aa
Mar 31, 2012
Thanks for all the feedback. Some of these things I've messed around with before and/or thought about and have a rebuttal for.

When it comes to B. That particular platform is not and has never been one that I want red to use for defending. When they do, the map stalls right at it and blu can't get anywhere near the point. What I want is for the frontline to be more around B itself instead of that platform which is why I've tried to make it harder and harder for red to use. I agree that at the moment it's a bit too good of a spot for blu and have an idea that just may balance it.

When it comes to C, I've tried a few spawn areas for blu around B and pushing it any farther leads to them running into whatever defenses red may still have at B right as they spawn, which leads to some cheap kills. After B is capped, red's first spawn becomes blu's second and any closer to B would also make it closer to C. The only way to really increase the cart path was to bring back the old curve around the fence. I could possibly make it so the gate only opens after C is capped though.

For D, I've thought of the idea of adding a opening door to the main route into it that opens after C but feared it would limit reds options to C too much. I'm not against trying it though so we shall see if it helps.

When it comes to details, I can work on the lighting some and see what I like. I'm not sure about balconies, cranes, and trims n such. TF2 uses selective detailing and it doesn't take much to start looking busy. I took a lot of detail inspiration from granary and I'm not really sure what else to do nor where to do it.

Lastly, thanks for the bug list. Easy fixes :D

MegapiemanPHD

aa
Mar 31, 2012

r0nii

Banned
Mar 16, 2019
dude you'll never finish it. just let it go.
Megapieman: ah another beatiful day, it's time to work on the map as always.

Gravidea

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 17, 2017
dude you'll never finish it. just let it go.
Megapieman: ah another beatiful day, it's time to work on the map as always.
This seems kind of rude and unnecessary to mention. To make a good map, you need to be dedicated to making changes and using feedback to make your map more enjoyable. Insulting him for putting so much time into his map is counter-productive. He's definitely more dedicated than people like me who make alphas and never finish them.

r0nii

Banned
Mar 16, 2019
This seems kind of rude and unnecessary to mention. To make a good map, you need to be dedicated to making changes and using feedback to make your map more enjoyable. Insulting him for putting so much time into his map is counter-productive. He's definitely more dedicated than people like me who make alphas and never finish them.
Sorry man but this map has been updated since so long time. I didn't mean this rude or anything like that. That suppost to be a joke. I totally respect Megapieman and hope this map will pass through all these changes soon.

MegapiemanPHD

aa
Mar 31, 2012
MegapiemanPHD updated Midwest with a new update entry:

junction

-added some details to the brickwork to make it less dull
-made D door more obvious with lights and sound while it's opening
-moved D door opening closer to it instead of when C is captured
-lowered blu high ground at B
-texture changes for some buildings so they match their construction better (mostly from brick to wood or metal)
-probably some other stuff that I don't remember

Read the rest of this update entry...

MegapiemanPHD

aa
Mar 31, 2012

I dunno, I dunno, I'm telling you

-lighting fixes
-clipping fixes
-moved drop down for blu at B
-moved cases at last so red is less likely to want to jump into the hole
-added some high ground health at A (not sure it'll stay)
-adjusted how far the doors to D lift
-implemented Zeus's dump truck models that have a more accurate collision mesh
-probably some other stuff too

Boonie

L2: Junior Member
Sep 22, 2015
Miss-aligned clip
LoHoC.jpg

(right before last point) Clips poking through ceiling/displacement poking through wall (right side)
SRctG.jpg

MegapiemanPHD

aa
Mar 31, 2012

MegapiemanPHD

aa
Mar 31, 2012

Hello

-adjusted blu first spawn
-made it so capping A lets blu spawn closer in their first spawn room (like upward)
-moved around some detailing at A and did some optimization
-made the exit door for the tunnel between A and B bigger
-clipped off awning by one way door between A and B
-moved around some cover at B
-made the doors at D open faster
-brought back one way drop down in blue building with one way door between A and B so red can't use it to flank blu as easy
-removed glass from windows...

Gravidea

Apr 17, 2017
Hey there! Another minor issue post. Luckily this was the only one I could find:

Near point B, this wall in the cubby area can be seen through from certain angles. I imagine this isn't intentional. Luckily you cannot shoot through it, so it's mostly just a peep-hole for spying on incoming enemies. I'll let you know if I find anything else!

1646937890853.png

MegapiemanPHD

aa
Mar 31, 2012

weirdly sanitized

-pushed blu first spawn exits forward a bit
-made first door into the tunnel between A and B taller
-removed 1 way door between A and B (may bring back)
-moved around cover and such at B to try to give blu better options while blocking problematic sightlines
-added 2nd exit to drop down route for blu attacking C
-removed a medium ammo box at C
-probably other stuff too
-bullet blocked windows in that building between A and blu spawn so sentries can't shoot through the gaps in the wood...

Boonie

L2: Junior Member
Sep 22, 2015
May want to kill that bell in blue spawn after x many dings. Quite annoying when 5 people on heavy lay into it.

Displacement poking out the wall, you get stuck on it/boosts you up
pPleu.jpg

Lem Mem

L3: Member
Nov 1, 2020
You left a clipping brush here despite being nothing in this corner. Map Broken 0/10. (This is in the rightmost house on A)

20220317160130_1.jpg

Gravidea

Apr 17, 2017
Looks like those trucks aren't packed properly, along with some other vehicles. Someone else screenshotted it for me, and I didn't notice because I had the models installed. Might wanna check if everything is packed properly!
1648170686042.png

MegapiemanPHD

aa
Mar 31, 2012

I also don't know anything about soccer

-clipping fixes
-tried to make the map more sentry friendly
-moved around stuff at last to be more sentry friendly
-minor detailing changes
-closed the upper area of the building between blu spawn and A since it wasn't really useful anymore now that the windows overlooking A are closed
- removed collision of things that didn't have collision meshes
-removed collision of some stuff in oob areas to make the map run better or something idk
-moved around the blue shoots at A to make more room...