***Mapping Contest #9 'The Swamp Theme'***

Discussion in 'Contests' started by zpqrei, Aug 4, 2009.

1. JoshuaC

JoshuaC L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I had started out a simple layout when the pack was first released but then I completely forgot about it till last night.

Been working on this for about a day now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  2. Icarus

aa Icarus

Positive Ratings:
    ooh! oooh! ooh! First one to recreate Scabb Island from Monkey Island 2 instantly wins.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Void

aa Void Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say

Positive Ratings:
    What? Didn't know Eerie could really enter...

Enh. I'll still be considerate and not enter.

4. Mexican Apple Thief

Mexican Apple Thief L3: Junior Member<br>LEAD FARMER

Positive Ratings:
    Are those the HL2 skycards? They actually don't look that bad with this theme. I'm sure they'd be worse up close but I didn't even notice them in that picture.

5. JoshuaC

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah they blend pretty well into the scene. The current swamp foliage has nearly no leafage so I had to improvise with the HL2 tree cards to get the effect I wanted.

6. CyberZombie88

CyberZombie88 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    i'm new (alittle) where is the posting thread?

7. CyberZombie88

CyberZombie88 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    yes, DJive i have a question. i am still TECHNICALLY new. and want to ask, where can i find the upload thread to post my entry? (please no one hit me)

8. Mexican Apple Thief

Positive Ratings:
    Do you mind if I steal that? I'll trade you the secret of fireflies!:O

/me hits.

Also [ame="http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=8570"]right here[/ame].:)

9. JoshuaC

Positive Ratings:

I've already unlocked the fireflies! :p Do whatever you want, though they're not without their problems.

I am a bit disappointed in the particle effects in the swamp pack. I was expecting bugs but all I see is swamp fog with bugs inside it.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  10. Mexican Apple Thief

Positive Ratings:
    How'd you do yours? I just did yellow dustmotes that don't fade out and go slightly faster. Too bad it's only up and down.

And the sky cards are a pain to line up without a tree clipping into nothing, yeah.

11. JoshuaC

Positive Ratings:
    They're just dustmotes that die off after 4 seconds. They go up and down but look pretty good.

The tree cards took all of a minute to make and texture.

12. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    I'm not exactly happy with all this HL2 content i'm seeing. But then i'm not running the competition.

There's a general rule of thumb when creating your basic TF2 map anyway, perhaps it was left out by accident since it's.. not really TF2 mapping ettiquette, to include such content. Can we maybe get some confirmation though?

That wouldn't be the first map i've seen with HL2 content.

13. JoshuaC

Positive Ratings:
    I can understand that, but you're pretty limited as far as swampish looking content in TF2.

14. Mexican Apple Thief

Positive Ratings:
    Valve maps use HL2 content.

I haven't even noticed any aside from the skycard, so they obviously fit well. I'm assuming we're allowed to use it, but if it looks bad it would cost points.

15. Tapp

Tapp L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    /Intimidated
    Oh man, you guys are good. Well, I started, but i don't really have the time right now (cp_tension) so I'm handing it over to you guys. I know that collabs are generally a no-no, but I haven't seen the rule ;) . Anyway, here's some pics, I kinda auto-levelled them, they're a LOT darker in reality. My map doesn't do well in the "walking around" aspect, I kinda misunderstood the contest. See, I thought that you had 2048x2048 pixels in which to make an awesome picture. Change and use whatever you want, just give me a small mention if you use it.
    [​IMG]
    Once again, I'm not competing, but I figured I might as well show my poster. Clicky

16. JoshuaC

Positive Ratings:
  17. pl

pl L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    The inside of the house looks impressive :D

18. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Valve maps use HL2 content that is barely visible/noticable. Sure, Joshua's use looks nice. I however did notice that it was HL2, not TF2. Also.. Someone else used a sewer exit decal that screams out even more than Joashua's tree card usage. As these are not in the TF2 style.. it ruins immersion.

I dunno if a moderator could atleast confirm the use of HL2 content in the competition. It's a real iffy subject. I mean if you can get away with it, fair enough. But if you can't, i dunno. It's like your shooting yourself in the foot in terms of creating your beautiful environment.

Resorting to HL2 content also kinda shows a lack of imagination. But hey, that's just me being an elitest, perfectionist.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  19. JoshuaC

Positive Ratings:
    If it's that much of an issue for everyone I'll just remove it and duplicate the 3 trees we've got to try and match the effect.

20. zpqrei

aa zpqrei Theme Changer Extraordinaire

Positive Ratings:
    No HL2 content in this contest. Feel free to use it with the swamp theme outside of this contest, but for this contest, we're keeping by our TF2 content (What's the the TF2 Materials.GCF), and the Swamp Pack. No custom/HL2/CSS/HL/Quake/Pong content please :3

• Thanks Thanks x 3