Map concept Thread

The Letter Before A

Cool Idiot
Jul 15, 2016
I mostly use paper layouts as a way to visualize my thought process and iterate upon it before committing to it and to jog my memory when it comes time to build the thing.

Capture.JPG

Thing is, nobody else has to ever see my crappy sketches. The above arrangement of boxes probably doesn't look like much, but when I look at it I know which boxes represent bridges, and which ones represent open space, and which ones represent enclosed buildings and so on.
That's a really cool design style, But the layout might be to simple. What is the gamemode?

Aug 30, 2015
Originally I had it planned to be a stage in a best of three multistage 1cp but it never got off the ground due to being not very good
The red bit with the white star inside represents the capture zone

It might be OK, but it came out of the same era as this monstrosity. Given my schedule right now I don't think it's worth the time it would take to build

DrLambda

L69: Teeheehee, Member
aa
Feb 18, 2015
I also consider myself to be a mapper that works with drawn concepts, but i'd like to say that it is very hard to convey the ideas you have with the map to other mappers that way. Per example, for the ones of you who already played on Ascendant, would you be able to see how this map will look like from this drawing?

1-orig.jpg

Or even this one?
1.jpg

I mean, the map changed a lot over the last few alphas, and some of the layout decisions already changed for A1, but i still can see the basic layout on these shots - But even though i tried to make this sketch as easy as possible to understand, i still think it is hard to read for everyone else. Just my 2 cents.

SparkyShock

L3: Member
Feb 6, 2016
actually I can still see whats happening.
Looks much cooler than my sketches.
Do you think you will make it a reality?
Yeah, most likely. After my koth_powercore, im going to work on an Attack Defense map that will be a Frontline submission. Thought, i could work on this on the side.
Would you like to see my ad map sketches?

14bit

L14: Bit Member
aa
Oct 5, 2014
I'm just going to randomly start dumping some sketches here that I've done for various maps. To start, here's the sketches I made for my 7.2 hour map, ad_relay:

bd88416b39.jpg

ce9bb534a6.jpg

The sketches are out of order, I designed point 2 first, followed by 3 then 1. The final product is a bit different, (most notably I cut a bunch of the angular geometry between points 1 and 2 to keep my sanity during the stream) but you can still tell that it's the same map. I'll see if I can dig up my drawings for my various other maps later, as well as the initial sketches for what became Reactor (those might be a bit harder, some of them were in my AP Calculus notes (which I don't have with me)).

Jusa

aa
May 28, 2013
HdZwd3Y.png

94g3JEO.png

Heres a couple of my sketches. The first one, which is for cp_kalinka, was more of a success since it only had the general rough idea of the layout which helped me a lot while blocking out the a1 in hammer and still left a lot of freedom to work with.

The 2nd one was more of a crazy experiment of what would happen if I sketched a level on the Z X axis instead of the normal topdown view. I did manage to make it into a playable map (ctf_bunker), but I dont think the gameplay was that great. Fun silly experiment nonetheless.

Last edited:

The Letter Before A

Cool Idiot
Jul 15, 2016
HdZwd3Y.png

94g3JEO.png

Heres a couple of my sketches. The first one, which is for cp_kalinka, was more of a success since it only had the general rough idea of the layout which helped me a lot while blocking out the a1 in hammer and still left a lot of freedom to work with.

The 2nd one was more of a crazy experiment of what would happen if I sketched a level on the Z X axis instead of the normal topdown view. I did manage to make it into a playable map (ctf_bunker), but I dont think the gameplay was that great. Fun silly experiment nonetheless.
Those are some pretty sketches.
I usually just scrible something up on some graph paper.

The Letter Before A

Cool Idiot
Jul 15, 2016
I'm just going to randomly start dumping some sketches here that I've done for various maps. To start, here's the sketches I made for my 7.2 hour map, ad_relay:

bd88416b39.jpg

ce9bb534a6.jpg

The sketches are out of order, I designed point 2 first, followed by 3 then 1. The final product is a bit different, (most notably I cut a bunch of the angular geometry between points 1 and 2 to keep my sanity during the stream) but you can still tell that it's the same map. I'll see if I can dig up my drawings for my various other maps later, as well as the initial sketches for what became Reactor (those might be a bit harder, some of them were in my AP Calculus notes (which I don't have with me)).
Relay is really cool. It feels so distinct.

Umaroth-24

L2: Junior Member
Jan 1, 2016
Maybe the picture is a bit dark, but its a 3d drawing of a capture area with building which i probably will use for my map.

{Edit} got a 2d drawing as well

Attachments

• 20161220_151829.jpg
    20161220_151829.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 104
  • 20161220_154658.jpg
    20161220_154658.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 112
Last edited: