Major Mapping Contest #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
Nope. Just make a ctf map. When the engage tournament more or w/e, the settings of your map are overridden. The time changes (I've only done this one, but I think it was 5-10 mins per round on turbine), and the cap limit is removed.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
whelp...id say i fail for completely forgetting about tournament mode, though to be fair ive never had any reason to use or play with it <_<

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
I'm looking forward to this b/c of how relatively simple CTF designs tend to be. Making one shouldn't take nearly as long as the huge Payload stuff we've done in the past. That means more people can be involved in the contest, with a lot more finished maps when we reach the deadline :D

Nov 14, 2009
The sad thing is, for me, today was also the start of FIRST robotics season, so I cant do any mapping for 6 weeks until our robot ships!
(Damn it 5-9 build nights!)

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
I'm looking forward to this b/c of how relatively simple CTF designs tend to be. Making one shouldn't take nearly as long as the huge Payload stuff we've done in the past. That means more people can be involved in the contest, with a lot more finished maps when we reach the deadline :D

Heh, this might be the first contest where I make a map and actually complete it. :blushing:

On a side note, I'm getting close to releasing b1 of my contest 2 map. Only ~1 year late :facepalm:

Retroid

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 25, 2009
I like it! I've had a couple of ideas for CTF for a while now but was kind of put off making any of them because of the general dislike for the mode. Perhaps with this comp we can revive the CTF love!

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I can't wait for the gameday feedback.

A1
pub: this map isn't balanced for all the classes, needs to be more engi friendly.

A2
comp: This map is prone to turtling!!

A3
pub: What happened to this thing?! It improved play for defence. Your map is worse.

A4
comp: too many routes for 6 people to defend. Needs only 2 routes

A3
pub: This map is prone to turtling!!

A4
comp: Needs less health drops.

a5
pub: Classes are still not balanced, wtf are you doing in this time?! Plus there are no item drops for players.

I mean fair enough, this is designing for competitive play so we generally know what takes priority. But the majority of feedback we get will come from 16vs16 public play, and popular vote will show us considerably more public opinion which affects the vote far more than competitive opinions due to mere numbers.

Determining what goes in and comes out is going to be like being the dweeb in prison: Getting raped by a cell mate, appealing to be moved only to get moved to another cell where that inmate rapes you instead.

On a side note, I'm getting close to releasing b1 of my contest 2 map. Only ~1 year late :facepalm:

Ha ha.. same.

Colt Seavers

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 30, 2007
Like the sound of this. I'm thinking (however cluelessly) that despite a tight remit, being able to assume players have a clue about skill and tactics will work to our advantage when deciding layout.

Pseudo

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 26, 2008
It doesn't require tournament mode. It is just:
tf_flag_caps_per_round "0"
mp_timelimit "30"

Or at least that's my understanding of it.

lamelikemike

L1: Registered
Apr 12, 2008
has anyone contacted community leaders in the comp scene, it would be great if we could set up gamedays with comp players on more than just the tf2maps.net servers. surely they would be interested in helping to get more maps to play competitively. and watching demos of people that play in a comp setting on a regular basis might be more beneficial than watching randoms who don't, trying to figure out how 6v6 works on top of testing new maps.

especially after what was said on the community fortress site about them trying to get new custom maps into their season rotations. it seems like a possibilty

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Several of the TF2maps senior members are more recently known to the competitive scene, i'm pretty sure YM would not have made a competitive based competition if he did not have additional support from that scene.

We also have a larger (than previously) competitive member count here at TF2maps, who are keen to get custom maps out there and have their say.

I would assume it's mostly covered, but that's also not to say you need to lay back and hve them do the work. We'll have to put in our own efforts to publicise our map beyond this community, if we want our map to go that far.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.