Status
Not open for further replies.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Please clarify @Custom content:
Produced by whom? as @ No collaboration would prohibit map requests

Also, the idea that collaborating actually gives an advantage in a 1:1 ratio is fundamentally flawed; pairs face some very very significant barriers in cooperating, and in many situations will end up working more slowly than a single person.

I am almost certain that I will be asked to create custom content for one or more clients, is this against the collaboration rule?

Last contest I didn't even bother asking if this was against the rules. My content was in at least 7 of the 16 entries...I am just concerned for people like myself being asked to create content and whether or not this will disqualify our clients entries.

A small number of models/textures from other authors will be tolerated, a great many (say the creation of an entire new theme) will not. Collaboration is viewed in terms of the actual mapping, if one person does all the mapping and has a few models from other people, that's fine. If someone gets help with their actual mapping, that's collaboration and is not allowed.

All publicly-released content, such as the swampy pack that TF2Maps put together (and is working on expanding) is fair game and will not be viewed in any way as collaboration.

It has just been brought to my attention that I hadn't got good smoothing groups set on the novint workstation model, thats now fixed and reuploaded, same link as on the first post:
http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads/TF2M Contest Content.zip

Last edited:

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Do we need to take advantage of points per capture, or can we do something like A/DCTF but both ways?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Do we need to take advantage of points per capture, or can we do something like A/DCTF but both ways?

Your scoring method must be the highest number of caps in x ammount of time wins. whatever else is up to you. (both teams need to be able to accumulate caps in the same time, not taking it in turns like an A/D map.

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009
Another question, you said "this is not the last contest." Will we have another contest soon or after this one ends?

ParanoidDrone

L3: Member
Feb 19, 2009
Warning: Stupid question incoming.

MAP WILL BE SCORED ON TOTAL FLAG CAPS PER TIME - NOT FIRST TO NUMBER OF CAPS. Remember this when designing your layouts. This is a design reminder. This functionality is handled server-side and is set up for competitive matches beforehand.

Am I right to assume that standard CTF logic can be used (first to X wins), while serverside mods will be responsible for altering the scoring for competitive play (most caps in X time wins)? I ask because I am absolutely atrocious at handling entity setups and probably won't be able to figure out how to do a competitive scoring system on my own.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
Another question, you said "this is not the last contest." Will we have another contest soon or after this one ends?

Its in the context of the same map type from the contest before this one will not qualify under the new rules

last = the one before

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Warning: Stupid question incoming.
Am I right to assume that standard CTF logic can be used (first to X wins), while serverside mods will be responsible for altering the scoring for competitive play (most caps in X time wins)? I ask because I am absolutely atrocious at handling entity setups and probably won't be able to figure out how to do a competitive scoring system on my own.
This functionality is handled server-side and is set up for competitive matches beforehand.
The scoring method in CTF is entirely server-side (normaly when people say they're asking as stupid question they're wrong :p)

Last is a synonym of previous

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
As Youme said, custom content basically includes prefabs and stuff that is available for community use. Actually working together on design and mapping is prohibited. I have not forgotten about the desire to do collaborative projects however, so you can expect to see that in the near future.

Correct. The only entity system you need to worry about is the standard CTF setup, and any custom items you wish to add. The scoring system used in competitive gameplay is entirely server-side.

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
Correct. The only entity system you need to worry about is the standard CTF setup, and any custom items you wish to add. The scoring system used in competitive gameplay is entirely server-side.

I wish you could just make a map with that mode of CTF. I mean it's bordering on a new game-type compared to standard CTF; and one that I'd probably prefer in most cases.

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009
Last is a synonym of previous

Thanks. Needed some clarification.

EDIT:

Just a suggestion: could you guys do "ent_fire <some name> Trigger" when the timer expires serverside so we can do end round stuff, like explosions?

Last edited:

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
In future we wont be having such awesome prizes since you obviously don't appreciate them. Ahd if you personally win any prizes in this one I'll make sure all you get shipped to you is bubblegum and bellybutton fluff.

Jesus, that was a joke, Youme.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
# Have good open ground for fighting

# Consider keeping it small and more focused

:/

I realise what you're trying to say but good open ground for fighting will inevitably make your map larger and long winded to cross.

I'd like to enter this.. but i was hoping it would end at some point in summer, since that's basically the deadline for my 2 final projects for my final year of university. *shakes fist really really agressively*

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Open as in free of obstruction not open as in large. :p

Like areas good for brief firefights with sky above and some height variation, instead of just tight hallways.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Why would you need a prefab for ctf anything? You just put in item_teamflag and two triggers that are func_capturezone...

MrAlBobo

Feb 20, 2008
just as a curiosity...valve made us a custom hud for the last contest, think they would consider adding this ctf functionality so sourcemod isn't required?

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Sourcemod is not required? Where are you getting these ideas of a 'different type of ctf' as stated by the rules, guys? I've seen this notion mentioned a few times...
This is the STANDARD ruleset for CTF on -any- server, except when played on a 6v6 there's a specific caplimit and time limit (0 and 30 usually)

These are -server- side commands, there is no need for valve to step in when the functionality is already there

MrAlBobo

Feb 20, 2008
meh, when i read, "set up server-side" i think sourcemod, regardless the point still stands, a server shouldn't be forced to have certain settings to get a map to run how its intended

it shouldn't be that difficult to give you the option to set that in hammer, certainly less difficult then a new hud

EDIT: wait...all your really doing is setting the cap limit really high, and the time lower aren't you?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.