KotH Koth 72 hour Bickyard [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
They were skipped if they were unplayable.
Well there version of unplayable and my unplayable are different. So all I have to do is to make one mistake and they will skip it.

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
Well there version of unplayable and my unplayable are different. So all I have to do is to make one mistake and they will skip it.
Don't take me harshly, but you really shouldn't be pushing out broken versions, specially ones that severely affect gameplay. If custom assets aren't packed, It's gonna cause trouble on everybody regardless do they have it or not, since the servers don't.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
What it does is having people play my map without just thowing the map into the trash.
It's not your map though. 90% of the work was done by someone else. (Some guys at Valve)

Looked what happened when I tried to create new original maps people just skip it.
Players will still be inclined to state why they want the map skipped.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
Don't take me harshly, but you really shouldn't be pushing out broken versions, specially ones that severely affect gameplay. If custom assets aren't packed, It's gonna cause trouble on everybody regardless do they have it or not, since the servers don't.
Which map are we talking about? Front yard? That is thrown away. I am not working on that map.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
It's not your map though. 90% of the work was done by someone else. (Some guys at Valve)
Well if I don't do this then nobody will play the map.

Players will still be inclined to state why they want the map skipped.
I seen people just say skip without giving a reason. It happens all the time. They just say I don't like this map skip.

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
Either there was no host or they had played it for the required amount for RTV to be used.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
Either there was no host or they had played it for the required amount for RTV to be used.
They only played for 5 minutes and there was berry on the sever.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
Judging by the feedback page for Frontyard, the imp was dying - it says the server averaged 2 players. And that's the only recorded test.

I also looked at the feedback pages for your maps Shutdown and Whitejack; Shutdown has 43 comments on it, and Whitejack has a whopping 83 comments. Not gonna lie, it feels pretty insulting that you'd say that nobody cares about giving you feedback when you've been given so much to work with.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
Judging by the feedback page for Frontyard, the imp was dying - it says the server averaged 2 players. And that's the only recorded test.

I also looked at the feedback pages for your maps Shutdown and Whitejack; Shutdown has 43 comments on it, and Whitejack has a whopping 83 comments. Not gonna lie, it feels pretty insulting that you'd say that nobody cares about giving you feedback when you've been given so much to work with.
I bet a lot more people have lots more then that. It is a lot of comments but that was threw 14ish updates so it's just spread out threw a long time. The lastest version of those maps had very few comments because they just started to skip it.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
I bet a lot more people have lots more then that.
Not true. One look at the feedback page will tell you that.

It is a lot of comments but that was threw 14ish updates so it's just spread out threw a long time. The lastest version of those maps had very few comments because they just started to skip it.
Okay, here's some advice: don't push out a bunch of tiny updates one-by-one and have each one tested individually, because people will get sick of that map. This is for two reasons:

1. people tend to get sick of seeing the same thing over and over
2. the people testing your map will get the impression that you're not listening to their comments, so they wonder what the point is in testing your map when there are other maps to test, by map authors more willing to listen and take criticism on board.

Instead, push out bigger updates less frequently. Really take the time to think of the best way to approach an issue with your map; delete and rebuild entire areas if need be. And above all else: remember that criticism of your work isn't necessarily criticism of you. Neither is criticism necessarily hating on your work. The community is trying to help you improve your work, but they can only do that if you want to improve, and right now it feels like you're more concerned with trying to assuage responsibility than actually seeking to improve. This is not how you become a good mapper, or a good anything really.

Last edited:

Auwi

Certified in best in fun
aa
Dec 12, 2012
I believe in you Fishy, but you need to change.

You always seem to think people don't ever agree with you, that people don't care about your maps, that people mock you, that people do all these "things" to bring you down. People aren't your problem, your focus should be on improving your mapping skills, that's what we strive for.

When you make excuses like "people don't want this" or "people don't care", it becomes a flawed argument because you're generalizing a ton of individuals' opinions. We each have different ways of what we think of you or your map. The excuses don't help and aren't a reason why you should stop trying. When you take time with mapping and approve with individuals' feedback, then your issues will disappear.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
Not true. One look at the feedback page will tell you that.

Okay, here's some advice: don't push out a bunch of tiny updates one-by-one and have each one tested individually, because people will get sick of that map. This is for two reasons:

1. people tend to get sick of seeing the same thing over and over
2. the people testing your map will get the impression that you're not listening to their comments, so they wonder what the point is in testing your map when there are other maps to test, by map authors more willing to listen and take criticism on board.

Instead, push out bigger updates less frequently. Really take the time to think of the best way to approach an issue with your map; delete and rebuild entire areas if need be. And above all else: remember that criticism of your work isn't necessarily criticism of you. Neither is criticism necessarily hating on your work. The community is trying to help you improve your work, but they can only do that if you want to improve, and right now it feels like you're more concerned with trying to assuage responsibility than actually seeking to improve. This is now how you become a good mapper, or a good anything really.
Okay, I get you. I will change. Now the only time that I will push out a quick update is if there is a ground breaking exploit in the map.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
You say you'll change, but will you really?
Well I will make progress by not talking in the tf2maps severs. I will not switch teams even tho I would love to. I will just lisson to videos or music while I play to not force on the people.

Status
Not open for further replies.