It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Australian Christmas

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Yes, but you would have to have the metal to teleport in the first place.

But the whole reason to teleport to spawn is if you ran out of metal and suddenly needed more. Maybe it should cost health instead, so if you try to do it to save your ass when you're near death you'll die anyway.

Also, here's a better idea than just being able to teleport to spawn from anywhere: Being able to use your own teleport in reverse by right-clicking on it, if it's working.

English Mobster

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 10, 2011
Okay, I have:
- New Flamethrower
- New Shotgun
- New Wrench
- The Brainiac Hairpiece craft number 21 (But that's not important)

As it stands, here is a short review:
Flamethrower: Probably about the level of the Soda Popper.
Lack of airblast sucks a lot more than you might think, and the meter system reminds me of the Buff Banner. Right-click, and Pyro taunts and you get the Buff Banner/Quick-Fix Uber circle thing under your feet. The taunt, of course, takes a second, and then you get infinite crits. It's true I played before the Airblast was added and I used the Backburner for the longest time without airblast, so I should be used to this, but I find myself wanting to extinguish teammates and not having any way to do so.
I barely got any testing in with this weapon, so I can't say much about it. :/

Shotgun: This gun is WAAAAY overpowered. I can negate 20% uber with a potshot. If all 4 shots hit (and there's hardly any spread a la Bison, so why wouldn't they?), that's approximately 80% Uber GONE and 120 damage done to the Medic. Obviously, more damage would be done if the Medic was backpedaling and less would be done if he was pressing forward, but Battle Engie is made a lot more threatening with this shotgun.
This actually makes Engineers number 1 priority on a heal target's list of... well, targets. A little less threatening than a disguised Spy in close range, but more dangerous than a good Scout. An Engineer with this plus a Gunslinger is a force to be reckoned with when it comes to Medics.
The only real tradeoff, like the Bison, is that you do less damage overall. If all 4 shots connect, you won't even kill a fully-healed Scout or Spy. It's more a weapon designed to annoy or finish off than a primary weapon, and should be used in conjunction with a Mini-Sentry.

Wrench: This is useful as hell with the new Shotgun because you can just go frontline Battle Engie, then run away and do the 2-3 second taunt and suddenly be gone with no indication as to where you went. I managed to confuse the hell out of a Soldier by poking him with the shotgun, then running around the corner and teleporting before he had a chance to really hurt me.
As a guy who mains Engie, not being able to move buildings sucks. I keep putting something somewhere and then realizing I could have positioned it slightly better, but then I can't move it at all, and having that freedom taken away sucks.
Teleporting to spawn is useful for repairing/updating teleporters and getting out of sticky spots. It's a defensively offensive weapon, good for having front-line defensive Sentries and Dispensers, but when attacking it's better to use the Gunslinger because of the extra health and because of the increased travel times.
When you teleport, you get full health and ammo without needing to actually touch the Resupply Locker; this is good if you teleport to a respawnroom that doesn't have an ammo cabinet in it. It also means you can upgrade a teleporter outside of a forward spawn and then teleport 5 feet back to refill your ammo supply. It also makes being set on fire less dangerous, as you can just run around the corner and be instantly put out.
The Wrench is effectively a defensive Gunslinger and should be treated as such. Even though you can teleport out of danger, keep in mind your Sentry will not be, and you do have to walk back to get to it. Many a time I've had a Sentry destroyed as I walked back to fix it.
The Wrench is best used with the Widowmaker or Pomson (the new Shotgun). Regular Sentries simply cost too much metal compared to mini-Sentries, and considering the frontline nature of the Wrench, Sentries will go down a lot faster. Gunslinger is better for the Frontier Justice due to these drawbacks, and the regular Shotgun simply isn't as annoying as the Pomson nor does it give you the metal input of the Widowmaker and can't be justified on the front lines when compared to the alternatives.

tl;dr:
New Flamethrower = Soda Popper/Buff Banner's bastard child.
New Shotgun = More annoying Righteous Bison.
New Wrench = Defensive Gunslinger.

Last edited:

PMAvers

Jan 29, 2008
The taunt on the Phlog's weird, since it doesn't always do it. I've had times where I right-click and start immediately murdering people. And dear lord, it *can*. Trigger it, turn the corner, and buzzsaw through three people like a chainsaw through butter.

(Yes, chainsaw. It's apt, since using a knife doesn't usually cause the butter to be splattered all over the walls.)

Do like that the MMMPH meter fills on all fire damage, so you can Flare Gun people to get it rolling.

The flame stream seems to be a little buggy right now too, since I've had a few moment where I've had it pointed straight at someone and I wasn't doing any damage.

Still, though, I think it's going to be my go-to flamethrower since it's all about THE BURNING!

Didn't really get a chance to test out the Man-Melter yet because I was using the Phlog all night, and they don't really fit together since it doesn't have a airblast itself.

Last edited:

English Mobster

Jul 10, 2011
On Foundry's RED spawn, you'll see a Soldier guarding a "Top Secret" door.
Either decompile the map and open in Hammer or just take the easy way out and noclip over there.

Look at the images on the wall.

Internet speculation has gone 2 different ways:
1. Images are screengrabs from Meet the Pyro.
2. Images are of robots based around the TF2 classes.

Either way, it isn't the first time something in the images has been seen. Remember before the Engineer Update came out? Valve released a video of Engie working on... something. What it was, we were never told. Could've been Gunslinger, Wrangler, or Frontier Justice. A blueprint on the wall behind Engie was of a robot arm (not just a hand a la Gunslinger, the whole arm), but when the update was released everyone forgot about it.
But look at the background of that video.
Or look at this image that does it for you:
Y4Gbf.png

Now, I have always personally thought that Pyro was actually Abraham Lincoln kept alive through a life-extender machine and the body of a robot, driven insane by the ravages of time (mainly because of the Engineer Update comic mentioning there were 3 machines built: one for Redmond, one for Blutarch, and one for someone unidentified. Also remember that Pyro in the 1800s was Abraham Lincoln). This would rectify all of those, but I'm just pushing my insane, probably wrong conspiracy theories again.
I'm just amazed that some of my theories seem to still be holding up.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2008
Time to start writing to alternate dimensions.

Do I smell a new mapping contest theme here? This might be a lot of fun - make way out there maps - with portals, teleports - all kinds of stuff - maybe even a trip to that planet that Gordon Freeman went to - what did they call it again? Zen?

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Xen. And let's definitely not go there.

(It is a silly place.)

By the way, I was looking over the "undocumented changes" on the wiki, and one of them caught my eye:
HUD now displays health up to 4095 (up from 1023)
I wonder what motivated that. It's still not big enough to accomodate the Vs. Saxton Hale mod, and that's the only thing I know of that would need super-huge health points.

Oh, and the Cow Mangler 3000 is paintable now. Yes, a paintable weapon. Just when we thought they couldn't stoop any lower.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Oh, and the Cow Mangler 3000 is paintable now. Yes, a paintable weapon. Just when we thought they couldn't stoop any lower.

Think this is a rumour. I just tried to paint mine. None of my paints would allow the Cow Mangler as a target.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
Before the Polycount contest? Why haven't you put it up in the workshop then?

because i submitted it to Valve over a year ago and I've gotten tired of recompiling, fixing texture changes and resubmitting etc,.,.

Not really seeing the point anymore either. My stuff gets buried under 400 pages of crap fake submissions and nobody ever sees them again.

try to stick to the 'Valve Requirements' then see things that completely blow in the face of that get put in game, etc..

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
because i submitted it to Valve over a year ago and I've gotten tired of recompiling, fixing texture changes and resubmitting etc,.,.

Not really seeing the point anymore either. My stuff gets buried under 400 pages of crap fake submissions and nobody ever sees them again.

try to stick to the 'Valve Requirements' then see things that completely blow in the face of that get put in game, etc..

If i've noted anything about why Valve include something it's usually because they like the idea/concept, that that is the most important thing. Which i guess would be acceptable if they had any sort of quality control.

But then that's sort of an arts ethics dilemma...

ALSO: Anyone remember when the Sandman could stun ubers, then how it was almost immediately removed because it was stupid?

Last edited:

Kiddnils

L3: Member
Sep 2, 2011
The comic is amazing. I used my super-pro photoshopping skills for making me a new avatar.
Unbenannt-1.jpg

Jun 19, 2009
But then that's sort of an arts ethics dilemma...

Speaking of ethics... This guy named "CAPTAIN RAGEQUIT" now has a self-made item even though he didn't do anything to make it. How did he get it, you ask? Through one way or another this guy landed upon multiple unusual hats / houwars / etc, and Ronin decided to trade credit for his stuff in return for these unusual hats.

It annoys me greatly because this guy knowingly took one of my hats even though he was already filthy rich with unusuals (read the entire thread-- hats.jpg = captain ragequit). He had no regrets in taking a hat off my hand even though he had more than I did.

English Mobster

Jul 10, 2011
I'd agree that the Captain Ragequit guy sounds like a bit of an ass, but technically isn't the Self-Made thing perfectly legal? It could be seen as him buying the rights to the item just like Valve would/did. Granted, there's no contract other than the implied one, but as long as both parties consent, there shouldn't really be any complaints.
If anything, it's stupid on Ronin's part because he won't be getting that recurring income from the item sales.

Terwonick

Aug 25, 2010
TBH, I like all the unlocks so far, it looks like they put thought behind each one... I just don't quite get the "On Hit By Fire: Become fireproof for 2 seconds" and the "Melts in fire, regenerates after 15 seconds,"
What I got from that is when the spy wielding the knife is hit by fire, he becomes fireproof, but his knife disappears ("melts") for 15 seconds before he gets a new one. Is that correct?

English Mobster

Jul 10, 2011

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Speaking of ethics... This guy named "CAPTAIN RAGEQUIT" now has a self-made item even though he didn't do anything to make it. How did he get it, you ask? Through one way or another this guy landed upon multiple unusual hats / houwars / etc, and Ronin decided to trade credit for his stuff in return for these unusual hats.

It annoys me greatly because this guy knowingly took one of my hats even though he was already filthy rich with unusuals (read the entire thread-- hats.jpg = captain ragequit). He had no regrets in taking a hat off my hand even though he had more than I did.

I was speaking more in terms of: If Valve edit it, then it's no longer the contributers original product, but it would be under the scrutiny of forced quality control. But if they don't, then they allow people to execute their own ideas (essentially a freedom)... Even though (and the reason i dislike this idea) most people think TF2 is random as fuck and can justify pigs flying on the moon just because BLU and RED "unrealisticly" have symmetrical bases 50 ft apart in the "middle of nowhere".

I don't wanna tell someone their interpretation of the TF2 universe is wrong as in many ways it limits creativity. But there are clear yays and neighs if you "critically think" about it. There are clear noticable rules in play (or at least were, hell if you have any integrity explaining that in the current TF2 item climate).

Ignoring that sour cliché rant i am honestly curious about what people think of quality control. It bothers me as a designer but the average player isn't a designer and doesn't understand all this stuff (at least on a conscious level), which is why half the items submitted to the TF2 workshop make no sense (Valve have made it so easy to contribute products that every bloke and his dog does).

The dilema of course being that the moral thing to do is allow original ideas to make it and reward them (which i support) even though design would dictate a filter for such ideas for the sake of the original-original idea that is TF2 (which i also agree with). I would like to think we could have it both ways, but we just don't. I don't know whether this is intentional or an oversight on Valve's part, it appears they largely couldn't give a damn so long as it makes money.

Last edited:

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
Bit off topic but does anyone have a Nice winter key they'd trade?