Issue with Ambient Generic

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Scampi, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Scampi

Scampi L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm having this problem with an ambient_generic in my map. Whenever it plays its sound, it plays it at even volume throughout the entire map despite what I set the Max Audible Distance is set to. I checked the flags, and Play Everywhere is NOT checked. What's going on here?

2. ϺΞΤЯΘΉλϺ

ϺΞΤЯΘΉλϺ L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    may I see a screen shot of what you have it set to

3. Scampi

Positive Ratings:
    I really hope it's just some small thing I'm doing and not merasmus voodoo crap.

Attached Files:

4. ϺΞΤЯΘΉλϺ

Positive Ratings:
    why is start volume set to 100? volume it self can only go to 10 then why is it starting at 100? unless you copy this from the map that used this then I could be mistaken but try not having it up that high

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Scampi

Positive Ratings:
    I dunno. I changed the value to a reasonable 10, but it made no difference. Any other ideas?

*edit* Now that I think of it, there's even more voodoo in my map. There's ambient_generic that has sort of the opposite problem. Despite what I try, it is too quiet, and I've set it to be as loud and far-reaching as I can. In my desperation, I even tried swapping the entities and their the I/O and sound file. It's like I did nothing!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  6. ϺΞΤЯΘΉλϺ

Positive Ratings:
    are they both playing at the same time while the check for paly everywhere is on? because if that's so that might cause it

7. Scampi

Positive Ratings:
    The check for play everywhere is off. I just did some volume testing again, and without changing any of the I/O, the sound will now only play once at the start of the map and never again. I swear, just when I think things are starting to make sense, shit like this happens.

8. ϺΞΤЯΘΉλϺ

Positive Ratings:
    hmmm just redo them if it still no work try finding valve official versions of the sound

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Dr. Orange

Dr. Orange L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Check the actual soundscript of the sound entry you are using. It probably have a soundlevel property of SNDLVL_NONE which means that it will play everywhere.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    So the solution is, either make a custom soundscript, or don't use a soundscript at all. Just use the path to the soundfile

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Scampi

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks, fellas. That was the issue. Using the raw soundfile fixed it.

• Like Like x 1