I need some help with hammer

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by UnDead Lincoln, Oct 9, 2016.

1. UnDead Lincoln

UnDead Lincoln L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    so I am new to hammer and I created a simple box in hammer. So then I go to run the map but then it said that the file specified could not be found. I'll show you it here

** Executing...
    ** Command: Copy File
    ** Parameters: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\test_cool.bsp" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\maps\test_cool.bsp"

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
    "The system cannot find the file specified."

2. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    Can you provide the entire compile log, please? This doesn't tell us anything about why it failed.

3. UnDead Lincoln

Positive Ratings:
    that is the entire compile log

4. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    To check, you are running the compile in Hammer, not CompilePal or another program?

Sorry if that seems a silly question - this is a unique issue!

5. UnDead Lincoln

Positive Ratings:
    I'm running it in hammer

6. Doktor Richter

Doktor Richter L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Do you have "Run BSP" set to Normal in the menu you get before starting the compile?

7. UnDead Lincoln

Positive Ratings:
    I have the "Run BSP" set to normal

8. Doktor Richter

Positive Ratings:
    Are you using the version of hammer packaged with TF2 (at Team Fortress 2\bin\hammer.exe)?

9. UnDead Lincoln

Positive Ratings:
    Yes I'm using the version of hammer packaged with TF2

10. Doktor Richter

Positive Ratings:
  11. UnDead Lincoln

Positive Ratings:
    it says that 1 file failed to validate and will be reacquired. What does that mean?

12. Doktor Richter

Positive Ratings:
    It means that one of your files was broken and Steam downloaded a fresh copy. Try compiling with hammer now.

13. UnDead Lincoln

Positive Ratings:
    It still doesn't work I got the same thing again

14. Doktor Richter

Positive Ratings:
    Have you been moving around or deleting VMF files while hammer was still open? That's the only way I can get it to happen on my end. Maybe try restarting everything (computer, steam, TF2, and hammer) and reloading your vmf?

15. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    Can you please post a screenshot of your run map window because it appears the only command being run is the copy map one, and not the actual compile. This shouldn't be happening unless you are using expert compile mode.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. UnDead Lincoln

Positive Ratings:
    First of all to answer your question:
    the run map window, everything is set to normal and the "Don't run the game after compiling" is not checked, and I'm didn't change anything in the Expert compile mode (and I didn't even use it)

But I think I might know what is causing this to happen but I don't know how to fix it. When I went to boot up hammer it said that the game configurations had to be set manually. I'm positive that you can change that in the tools tab in hammer and go down into options. So I had to guess. For the game data files it said that they were .fgd files so I put 3 of the .fgd on that list which are halflife2,tf, and tf-abs which can be found in the Team Fortress 2 bin. Next it was asking for the "Game Executable Directory" and I just directed it to the Team Fortress 2 Folder. After that it was asking where the gameinfo.txt is and I located it and found it in the tf folder in the Team Fortress 2 Folder. Lastly it was asking for the "Hammer VMF Directory" and I just looked on UeakCrash's video and looked at where he directed his maps (because when your on hammer above the 3-D camera it shows where your map is being located to so I looked on UeakCrash's video and directed it to that folder which was \Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsr)

If there is anything wrong or something I need to changed please tell me I completely understand if I messed something up because I'm new at this. And keep note that I THINK that this is the problem, I don't know if it 100% is.

Attached Files: