UnDead Lincoln

L1: Registered
Oct 9, 2016
so I am new to hammer and I created a simple box in hammer. So then I go to run the map but then it said that the file specified could not be found. I'll show you it here

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\test_cool.bsp" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\maps\test_cool.bsp"

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
"The system cannot find the file specified."

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
Can you provide the entire compile log, please? This doesn't tell us anything about why it failed.

Doktor Richter

L3: Member
Feb 13, 2014
Have you been moving around or deleting VMF files while hammer was still open? That's the only way I can get it to happen on my end. Maybe try restarting everything (computer, steam, TF2, and hammer) and reloading your vmf?

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Can you please post a screenshot of your run map window because it appears the only command being run is the copy map one, and not the actual compile. This shouldn't be happening unless you are using expert compile mode.

UnDead Lincoln

L1: Registered
Oct 9, 2016
First of all to answer your question:
the run map window, everything is set to normal and the "Don't run the game after compiling" is not checked, and I'm didn't change anything in the Expert compile mode (and I didn't even use it)

But I think I might know what is causing this to happen but I don't know how to fix it. When I went to boot up hammer it said that the game configurations had to be set manually. I'm positive that you can change that in the tools tab in hammer and go down into options. So I had to guess. For the game data files it said that they were .fgd files so I put 3 of the .fgd on that list which are halflife2,tf, and tf-abs which can be found in the Team Fortress 2 bin. Next it was asking for the "Game Executable Directory" and I just directed it to the Team Fortress 2 Folder. After that it was asking where the gameinfo.txt is and I located it and found it in the tf folder in the Team Fortress 2 Folder. Lastly it was asking for the "Hammer VMF Directory" and I just looked on UeakCrash's video and looked at where he directed his maps (because when your on hammer above the 3-D camera it shows where your map is being located to so I looked on UeakCrash's video and directed it to that folder which was \Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsr)

If there is anything wrong or something I need to changed please tell me I completely understand if I messed something up because I'm new at this. And keep note that I THINK that this is the problem, I don't know if it 100% is.

Attachments

• Picture of hammer.jpg
    Picture of hammer.jpg
    956.5 KB · Views: 368