Have you ever met someone from the Internet in real life?

Have you ever met someone from the Internet in real life?

• Yes, a bunch of people

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Yes, once or a few times

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • No, I would never

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • No, but I'm not against it

Votes: 23 45.1%

• Total voters
Mar 23, 2010
i met a lot of people from the internet but they never met me

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I had a pen pal from Nottingham when i was 14. I guess noone does that these days. We later met 2 years afterwards when her dad was driving through town on a business trip and we had a day on the beach. That was nearly 10 years ago now and we're currently seeing each other and have been for 7 months now. It's partly why i'm so quiet around here these days, i'm being pussy whipped at the weekends.

I've met other people too. When i was 17 i was in a DoD clan and we had an annual LAN party at who ever could support one; one in Luton and one in York. We ordered 32 pizza's from a take away place the first night and they blocked the guy's phone number even though he was a happy regular. Ha ha.

I also have plans to visit a second pen pal i had about 8 years ago who lives in Australia. It's odd that this one i actually know through DeviantArt. I really wanna visit that place and she's offered to put us up to save money. Although this hasn't happened yet, it might happen this year.

Ironicly, (and to not beat around the elephant in the room) statistically most people who get stolen or abused by peado's are from within their own family or by people they already know.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I do too, although I met my boyfriend online and my mother was deathly afraid he was actually a 40 year old man coming to molest me. But then they skyped and it was ok.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I think you're the only person seeing this elephant.

I was just covering this base. Every time someone wants to know something like this about meeting someone from the internet, there's this under current of "you were lucky it wasn't one of those predators".

Languid

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 9, 2009
I met a guy off a tf2 server community once actually. We had a few pints, made internet related jokes and then had fumbly and short lived oral sex on the roof of a shopping centre. Made all the more surprising by the fact my intent was to make a friend, but hey.

Oh and to vouch for grazrs point it is an ever present concern and I have definitely met odd fellows off the web. But then again, just as many in shitty bars in the real world.

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
I met a guy off a tf2 server community once actually. We had a few pints, made internet related jokes and then had fumbly and short lived oral sex on the roof of a shopping centre. Made all the more surprising by the fact my intent was to make a friend, but hey.

Oh and to vouch for grazrs point it is an ever present concern and I have definitely met odd fellows off the web. But then again, just as many in shitty bars in the real world.

26735447.jpg

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Yay, Languid's back.

Jan 20, 2010
Years ago when I was in High School, I ran/helped run a Zelda Fansite. At some point I found out that the guy that I was running it with lived about an hour north of me. For the hell of it, I invited him to come visit.

It was incredibly awkward. I invited some friends with me and they didn't want anything to do with the guy and the guy himself was kind of antisocial.

So that was a bad start.

I've met a few other internet friends since then that has gone over much better. I once had a huge drunken bonfire in the backwoods of central florida with one internet friend. That was awesome.

Fish 2.0

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 22, 2012
The media tells me that if I meet someone from the Internet they are all rapists or want my money.

Oct 6, 2008
I met a few people on Lavalife a few years ago and even the telephones - I lived a weird existense back then - strange shifts / strange hours - that didn't allow me to meet people under what people would call 'normal' circumstances.

But like anything, meet them in public - just for a coffee or something where you can walk away easily if they turn out to be a nutjob.