[GUIDE] Youme's guide to displacement cliffs

Galago

L2: Junior Member
Sep 29, 2008
Woah. Just what I was looking for; awesome!

Shaar

L3: Junior Member<BR>toboruin
Aug 7, 2008
Really usefull tutorial, thanks :)

Just some notes, that arn't on there. You'll have to change the axis of your displacement to the way you want it to move (e.g. X or Y instead of Z). Another thing I fount useful when creating outdents between seperate brushes was, I kept the axis the same, but made the edge which joined up with the previously displaced brush the same (E.g. the flat brush now has one jaged edge which matches up exactally with the displaced brush), then go onto the new axis and displace all the edges except for that side one which you have already edited.

Last edited:

Termaximus

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 11, 2008
After a sad first attempt at doing displacement cliffs before reading, this is what I got (don't laugh too hard):

RVZcId4hSQHLTQG1NdjX4w

Then I remembered Youme had written this excellent guide. I can't wait to try again the proper way. Thanks for the guide and thanks for adding the pictures in the tutorial, really nice.

Also, I played pl_hoodoo for the first time last week (I've been sans PC for about 4 months until recently) and was very impressed.

Last edited:

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Can't laugh at all, theres no link or image?? or is that the point and am I being slow?

I can't see it either.

Might be because of the forum. It's a bit buggy with images right now. Avatars, images and forum icons tend to disappear at random.

Galago

Sep 29, 2008
I don't understand how working this displacement axis by axis works. The only way I get results is by using the default (don't have hammer open, can't remember.) Am I missing something? Every time I pick, say X-Axis, it just moves the vertices left and right, and the Y-Axis just moves the vertices up and down, stretching my texture, not making any sort of hills. What am I doing wrong?

Scotland Tom

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 19, 2008
You're working in 3 dimensions, so if the X and Y axes aren't having an effect on the "bumpiness" of your surface, it's probably the Z axis that you're going to have to alter.

Galago

Sep 29, 2008
Obviously... but then why is there even an X or Y axis, and what does it have to do with the cliffs?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Obviously... but then why is there even an X or Y axis, and what does it have to do with the cliffs?

well the X axis works in left-right, good for up-down (in top view) cliffs and Y works in up-down which is good for left-right cliffs.
Then Z is height and thats always usefull. you alllllllways need all three axis to make the highest quality cliffs.
oh, and there are always the three axis available because displacements can do anything not just cliffs, the dish in hydro is a displacement... that just shows what you can do with displacements!

Galago

Sep 29, 2008
Oh I knew that they weren't only cliffs... but you can do displacements in views other than the 3D view??? HOW?

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
The train tracks that pass through the centre of badlands are also displacements.

Using the X and Y in combination with the Z axis has allowed them to lower some vertices and fold them under the central vertices and produce a rather convincing train track. Without the need for a model.

I'm not sure what would actually be more optimised but i guess if VALVe did it it works just fine either way really. Considering they use a model in Well for the tracks.

edit: I am curious as to why you've used several large radius variables Youme. I always drag it down to 1 when i use it as it's annoying when it picks up other vertices, it doesn't move them strictly to the unit system in place and you can't fix the decimal sized displaced vertices without redoing the whole damn thing.

But maybe that's just me being overly methodical.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Oh I knew that they weren't only cliffs... but you can do displacements in views other than the 3D view??? HOW?

oh I see what you mean now, I dont think its possible and if it is I doubt its much fun

grazr, I use the large ones so I can work quickly and roughly, I almost always end up reducing to a small brush and fine tuning afterwards anyway.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
grazr, I use the large ones so I can work quickly and roughly, I almost always end up reducing to a small brush and fine tuning afterwards anyway.

actually, scratch that. I have an almost entirely different way of working with displacements since I wrote this tutorial and I don't often drop down to the smaller sizes, a lot of the time I do but I seem to keep a large scale a lot now.

TaPuZ

L1: Registered
Nov 23, 2008
Great! ut actually I always want to do that but its doesnt work for me :<
someone mabey have a video tutorial for this subject ? [or if can someone record for me I will be grateful :>]

Tetra

L1: Registered
Nov 19, 2008
Great tutorial, still banging my head against the wall trying to get my brush strokes right for proper hilling on the cliffside -.- Everything ends up incredibly fake looking or extremely jagged. Guess it just takes practice.

In any case +Thanks.

medd

Feb 21, 2009
Thanks for the tutorial Youme - definitely lots of help.
I'm wondering though, is it necessary to add the no draw layers behind the displacement if the whole world is eventually surrounded in a skybox anyway, removing the possibility of void leaks. (And by surrounded by a skybox, I don't mean one huge skybox, I just mean eventually the map will be surrounded by skybox brushes)

Ok, another question. Say we build the cliff arrangement in the tutorial. Is there an efficient way of adding on to that displacement if we want to extend the cliff? Or, if we have ground displacement, and we want to add more brushes and extend the ground as a displacement, is there some way of doing that?

Adding to the list... did you or anyone else ever explain or do a tutorial on displacement arches like the one you show on page two of this thread?

Last edited:

cornontheCoD

L420: High Member
Mar 25, 2008
great tutorial, but I can never seem to get sew to work. I always hit it and it does nothing. I tried it in this tutorial at the tunnel part, but it doesn't do anything. How close to perfect does the tunnel and cliff need to match up? I seem to be doing something wrong, because it is damn near impossible to get the cliff and tunnel to match up perfectly. You kinda skip over it like it's easy to do, but I can't get them to match up after my opening for the tunnel is not exactly rectangle after doing the cliff. :blushing:

edit: also, what is the point of the world/face check boxes? it is extremely annoying not being able to right-click to align a texture correctly when one face is checked as world or face, while the other is checked as world AND face. How do I get them to all be the same?

Last edited: