[GUIDE] Youme's guide to displacement cliffs

muw

L1: Registered
Aug 13, 2009
is there by any chance that you could upload the bsp and vmf again! I'm very bad att displacements, and would like a chance to look how this was done :)

Garner

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 16, 2009
epic thread, top stuff :D

A thanks and much love from me <3

fbbviv

Jun 19, 2009
I've been mapping for a few months now. The only problems I've had during my process of teaching myself I encountered were complex displacements and making my own models. :p After reading this and trying it out...It worked perfectly. I'm very happy :]
Have some questions for you
sometimes when you align multiple brushes and corner them to be ready. when you turn them into displacements their "grids" do not align. (I'll get a picture) This usually causes difficulties in forming your displacement and painting on the alpha. Anyway to get around this?
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/3042/displacements.jpg

also if you wanted to have a top of your cliff that you have made. How would you do this? just make brushes to fit over the surface and make sure they align with the sides? will the grids be misplaced in this case and cause problems?
Great tutorial. I'd love to see more :] and any help is greatly appreciated! ^__^

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I've already explained how to get the displacements alined, youmake their edges the same length, so if you want a smaller one next to a big one it has to be exactly 50% the size or you have to cut the big one into two.

fbbviv

Jun 19, 2009
I've already explained how to get the displacements alined, youmake their edges the same length, so if you want a smaller one next to a big one it has to be exactly 50% the size or you have to cut the big one into two.

ah my bad. :O Thanks :]

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Yeah I have broken screenshots too. The images won't load :(

Go sue imageshack. There is nothing i can do because i dont have the originals anymore.

Edit: I might re-do this tutorial with my newer mthods. until then check out this - [ame="http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=10287"][Tutorial] Badlands styled displacements - TF2Maps.net[/ame]

Last edited:

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
Well i didn't alpha the displacements as i was doing this quick on dads pc but my results attached.

Nice tutorial and by the way does anyone else think we need a tutorial section?
Or do we have one?

Lord Ned

L420: High Member
Feb 11, 2008
2lnd729.jpg

Last edited:

Retroid

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 25, 2009
Out of interest what are the Displacement map limits? I've noticed I can't attatch a displacement floor to 4 (Edit: displacement) walls... Is that right?

(I mean I can but the map will have the whole trippy space problem.)

Last edited:

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Displacements don't seal the void so you need to create a brush textured in nodraw behind whatever you have displaced.

Retroid

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 25, 2009
You're right, I know you are but I didn't have any problems with the displaced walls when there weren't any nodraw textures - when I displaced the ceiling/floor after that, that's when it started to render infinite space. So it seemed to me like the void was sealed at the point where it was just displacement walls - unless it wasn't and you just don't see it until you feck it up enough...