[GUIDE] Youme's guide to displacement cliffs

Vastrix

L1: Registered
Aug 11, 2014
You gotta make your brushes line up, then.

they are.
Fully touching each other and all..
8dee070ca5.jpg

Displacements.. God i hate them!
Why do they have to be so damn useful :(

Last edited:

wareya

L420: High Member
Jun 17, 2012
They have to line up the entire way down. The lines on the meshes have to be aligned. That's what my screenshots are supposed to illustrate.

Vastrix

Aug 11, 2014
They have to line up the entire way down. The lines on the meshes have to be aligned. That's what my screenshots are supposed to illustrate.

As in the exact same height ? :s

234f1cdc42.jpg

so not like this^

How would one do it then in that^ situation? :)

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
both corners of an edge you want to join seamlessly must be in the same place. you only have one edge there. cut the taller one horizontally at the top of the door frame so there are three

Vastrix

Aug 11, 2014
both corners of an edge you want to join seamlessly must be in the same place. you only have one edge there. cut the taller one horizontally at the top of the door frame so there are three

aah i see, but wouldn't i have the same issue there? :)

4af32582d3.png

Except for this ^ causing the same issue there than(?)
i get it now, sorta :)
sorry to both that you had to repeat it so many times :s

Last edited:

wareya

L420: High Member
Jun 17, 2012
You have a ratio of 3 squares on the left to 4 squares on the right. You need it to be 2 to 4 or 4 to 4, which are ratios of 1:2 and 1:1. Nothing else will work.

Basically, you have to use the cut tool on your brush where you drew the red circle, to make ALL the lines on each brush line up. Two isn't good enough.

Vastrix

Aug 11, 2014
You have a ratio of 3 squares on the left to 4 squares on the right. You need it to be 2 to 4 or 4 to 4, which are ratios of 1:2 and 1:1. Nothing else will work.

Basically, you have to use the cut tool on your brush where you drew the red circle, to make ALL the lines on each brush line up. Two isn't good enough.

Indeed i see that now (at last) \o/ :)

So that side works like a charm now..
but.. any idea on what to do here?
aa3c73c7c7.jpg

I hope i'm out of your hair for good after this :p

Should've sticked to programming.. :p

EDIT: Lemme guess cut again on the height of the door? :p

Last edited:

Leaf_It

aa
Jul 8, 2015
About half the images in the first post aren't showing up. Would it be alright to ask for them to be fixed?

Sorry for the necro post, but this guide is helpful for a newbie like me.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I've been bugging Freyja to do a new displacement tutorial. She claims to have a superior method. I doubt YM has these pics still.