General art thread

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
So I wanted to try and draw something that looks more painted than my usual style, without black lines, etc. So I drew some goblin-ish thingy apparently attempting to stab his own hand.

stabbygoblin.jpg

I don't know how much of a success it was, but I'll keep practicing this style. I like it.

DRONE.JMR1

L1: Registered
Dec 9, 2011
Good stuff there muffin! Have you ever played with skin temperature while painting characters? I think it would add a ton to that guy. It would balance that green out with maybe a purple or turquoise within the same range in color. Blended into colder // warmer areas of the body of course.... like when those heavy drinkers get the rose-e noses or farmer tans (just examples and suggestions ;D).

Mar 23, 2010
that's a big dragon penis

Sep 12, 2008
This is my first attempt at Digital Painting...

Firsttry2.jpg

..and I have no idea what I am doing.

nice nice, but
a) don't smudge and smear your stuff!
b) trees aren't "green" and dragons aren't "black" and the sky isn't "blue" etc. Stop thinking in color-stereotypes (if that makes sense) :D

edit: what i mean to say is that you should think of your whole painting as a setting rather than a combination of objects. They need to form a whole.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
I demand a pink dragon then!
We'll see....

nice nice, but
a) don't smudge and smear your stuff!
b) trees aren't "green" and dragons aren't "black" and the sky isn't "blue" etc. Stop thinking in color-stereotypes (if that makes sense) :D

edit: what i mean to say is that you should think of your whole painting as a setting rather than a combination of objects. They need to form a whole.

yea, this is my first stab at this, and probably won't be my last, but I want to focus on textures for TF2, rather than painting atm, but I will keep that in mind next time I paint...

Oh, and I made an ear... I know it has issues, but it was just me poking around with not-smearing color blending...

progressithink.jpg

Terwonick

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 25, 2010
first time trying to make a poster, it still needs to be weathered a bit and I need to smooth it out a bit, but for a first attempt it turned out better than I thought it would.

saltmine_blusalt_001.jpg

And yes, pun intended.

EDIT: I realize they used ice-boxes at this time, but they also used salt to preserve meat!!!

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Terwonick: Try going for a simpler shape. Don't use a brush at all. Photoshop's linear lasso tool (Don't remember exactly what it's called, it's a variation of the lasso) is great for this.

Tarry: Good, but it could use more contrast. It's pretty tough to see where the mountaintops end, and where the background begins, not to mention the grays in the picture could easily be a bit darker.

Well, keep in mind I'm on a fairly light-colored monitor, so it might not be that severe in reality. :p

Last edited:

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Tarry: the nicks in the paper are waaay too similar. I like using a rectangular brush rotated by 45 degrees (FINE A RHOMBUS) to make small tears here and there. Space them out a bit, too.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Been playing a lot of Zelda lately. In most of the recent releases, there have been an enemy type called Bokoblins, which appear drastically different in every game for some reason. I decided to sketch up (and superquickly color) a bokoblin of my own.

bokoblin.jpg

It's intended to look a little more demonic and scary than before, but it's mostly inspired by the lanky Wind Waker version.