Furnace Creek

CP Furnace Creek rc

captainAngry

L420: High Member
Feb 1, 2009
I don't put much stake in it either. I would have to collect way more ratings for the averages to be meaningful, but I don't want to have something poping up for every person every time they play a map because that would annoy me.

It's basically a snapshot of how a few games went. It is generally enough for me to know if the map should be in the regular rotation or not. To be honest with you, it's major purpose for me is to promote my server. It's possible you will get something useful from the demo though. Well, maybe not you but people that don't have your experiance with map making.

mhmm

L1: Registered
Dec 20, 2008
The laser firing can dissapear in the different areas of the map, and can be weird looking if you are not at C. There are also some issues of seeing over the cliff areas into different props that can disappear.

My biggest issue, however, is how the map can look somewhat bland in terms of its variety of looks. All the narrow corridors look the same, and the look can get boring. I have no idea how to fix it, so I will just leave that with you.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Whoa, I just remembered from like a month back, I said my teleporter destroyed itself for no reason. I'm so sorry I didn't post this before, but as I browsed this topic it suddenly popped back into my mind. The exact place was in the room with the mine carts that connects B to C, pretty close to the wall by the tunnel that leads to B. No low ceiling or prop or something above it, plus if I remember correctly it did a few teleports before it blew up.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Hey, I'm a really big fan of the slower spawn times. Both teams get a little breathing room in between waves now, and the map doesn't seem like an instaspawn server anymore.

I'm surprised, the map balance has been largely preserved, with the exception of point C. I'm not saying to revert the spawns to what they used to be, but layout-wise, RED could have somewhere to get some breathing room. As it is now, you're always in danger and subject to BLU ambushes from all flanks. Basically, some added cover in the areas further away from the CP would be nice, even though you can't get a good view of the CP.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Yeah, the longer spawn times worked surprisingly well, and the layout changes will probably make it into B4, albeit redone to be prettier. We're getting some competitive-style testing on furnace_test1 and furnace_test2, so we're waiting for feedback from chat before making any significant changes to B4.

In other news:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CeA5ACUQjs"]YouTube - Furnace Creek Fire Test[/ame]

Thanks Boojum!

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
I've forever really disliked this map. No matter how pretty it is or how well the layout is.. i've just hated it and i think i finally know why.

I'm so SO lost in it.

cp_furnace_test1.jpg

cp_furnace_test2.jpg

cp_furnace_test3.jpg

cp_furnace_test4.jpg

cp_furnace_test5.jpg

After about 20+ minutes of playing i felt like i had a grasp of the level more and started to enjoy it however i still got really really frustrated with lack of signs in certain spots.

I noticed there is tiny tiny little .. tiny signs on the ground that point but with displacements and rocks in the way there's not a chance in hell i could see those lol.

Lack of direction is the only thing i can flaw this map on. great everything else.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Some better sign placement is in order.

Anyone who played _test2 today, thoughts on the spawn times?

Eternal

L69: Deviant Member
Jul 8, 2009
I haven't tried it out yet but it looks to me almost like you have learned your lesson from Hoodoo and Egypt when it comes to choke points and alternate paths... almost TOO well. This is just from watching the movie and looking at screenshots though.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Nineaxis said:
Anyone who played _test2 today, thoughts on the spawn times?

Well, I played the _test2, actually didn't looked at the spawntimes. But they weren't too long atleast. :p

Jack Riguel

L10: Glamorous Member
Jul 19, 2009
After about 20+ minutes of playing i felt like i had a grasp of the level more and started to enjoy it however i still got really really frustrated with lack of signs in certain spots.

This. This is not good.

More then anything else though, while the use of colour and lighting makes an old theme new and interesting, the problem still remains that it very difficult to tell exactly where you are in relation to the map. The only real distinguishing factor is each area's wooden building surrounding the cap, and when you're not in sight of it you very easily get lost and confused.

I've considered this a rule of thumb in regardless to the flow of a Team Fortress 2 map. Players should understand the basic purpose, layout, and location of the objective within the first round they play the map. This means that during the course of the first round played (which would include all three parts of 2x3 CP and PL maps), the player should know where he is in relation to the objective and how to get there. Extra paths, hidden defence points, and all other aspects of the map can be discovered and used later, but the basic layout and flow should be understood as quickly as possible.

So far, the biggest problem with Furnace is that it is very difficult to get your bearings when moving from each of the three main areas. In contrast, maps like gravelpit have very distinctive areas that can be easily navigated to and understood.

What there needs to be is something physically distinguishable to discern where you stand in the map, like some sort visually distinctive landmark. While signs can help direct players, it still won't help distinguish the difference between A, B and C.

Actually, taking in account for C, it is very easily identified because of the laser. Perhaps something else could help distinguish the other points, like a power station or maybe even an actual furnace or a dried creek bed.

PenPen

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 24, 2008
I don't really have much to say aside from the fact that without an engie, it's really a long way to get to C, and our teams eventually split up into random splinters of 2-3 people coming out of the exits (as blu).

I'd think that's partly because we don't have an engie for teles, and medic to cover our losses (we are all manly men who prefer talking with our guns), but also partly that there's no clear signage that clearly tells us where the path leads to from A to B, B to A and A/B to C. So people scattered apart (I think this wouldn't be so apparent in a more organized play).

And some of the tunnels to C are a little long and cramped. This makes for good baiting opportunity for red.

I think points A and B are fine as-is.

C itself I think is okay. But it is rather easily covered with sentries though, and engies turtle inside the building as a result. Destroying them takes time, but building them with multiple-engie support is easier.

I think I need to play the map a bit more but that's my observations thus far.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
DJ, I find it hard to believe you're still getting lost, the reason I've not flooded it with signs so far is that the layout is very simple..

Take a look at this and you'll see (we'll offer it to server owners as an optional extra for download with _b4
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TqPgLoKXg8"]YouTube - Furnace Creek Introduction Video[/ame]

I was actually adding some more signs earlier today before i read your long post, as it happens.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
I personally grasped the layout of the level within a couple of rounds. Hmm.