Favorite Map Settings

The Smk

L3: Member
Oct 15, 2015
Favorite Map Setting : Alpine
Map that uses Setting : Lumberyard
Reason : Because i just like how everything matches with each other and i am allways feel so happy when i play an alpine map

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
It's too hard to decide on one theme. Every theme can look really nice if it's done right. That said, I have a particularly soft spot for maps with lots of outdoor areas and natural scenery, like Snowplow, Borneo, Sawmill, Zinkenite etc...

Also, thumbs up for the Hydro/Powerhouse theme.

ExtraCheesyPie

L420: High Member
Jan 29, 2015
-Favorite Map Setting: Snow
-Map that contains that setting: Branblitz, Coldfront
-Reason: I like how snow can be used, like creating massive drifts and stuff. Also snow + wood looks really nice.

nickybakes

You should've played Rumbleverse
aa
Jul 28, 2015
I don't really have a favorite theme, I really like them all if they are done well in the map. I can name a few maps that stand out to me though.

I just love the jungle feel in Borneo. It's also probably my favorite maps layout wise, and I have a lot of nostalgia of playing it from Gun Mettle. The jungle theme always reminds me of a rainy summer day, which I like. Overgrown also has this effect on me.

Powerhouse's detailing reminds me a lot of my memories of play Half Life and playing Black Mesa as soon as it got on steam, so it's also a nostalgic factor for me really. I also just really love the last, and how high the ceilings are, and it's big windows that allow you to look into the other team's last.

I've always looked at Upward as one of Valve's best detailed maps. It just seems like everywhere you go, there's always beams holding up the walls, and there's so many small details to look at. I just look at it and think of the map taking the longest to make out of any Valve-made maps.

I always loved the modern Greek detailing in Illios (Overwatch), and Santorini (CsGo), and I've always been a big fan of modern greek architecture. A couple months ago I wanted to make a Greek map, and then Bak made Eros. It sucks that some people see the map as a rip off from Overwatch, but either way the detailing is done very well, and really captures what I was thinking my Greek idea would be like. The Greek theme is still something I want to do, along with something I think other's should tryout as well.

ExtraCheesyPie

L420: High Member
Jan 29, 2015

nickybakes

You should've played Rumbleverse
aa
Jul 28, 2015
While Santorini looks super nice, it's not the only part of greece that people can use. Consider a ruins theme, or maybe anything that isn't just a pure white town. hell, making something with a lot of stone and a maritime theme, like this http://kids.nationalgeographic.com/content/dam/kids/photos/Countries/A-G/greece-island.jpg could work too. But it wouldn't be recognisably greece I guess
I don't really like the "ruins" aspect of greek, which is why I said "modern greek". I just love all the colors of the buildings in the towns, similar to that in the picture you linked. Of course theres other places I enjoy that are similar to this, like Cuba.

SierraStorms

L1: Registered
Oct 23, 2015
-Favorite Map Setting: Hydro is one of my favorites.
-Map that contains that setting: Red Desert/Hydropower plant.
-Reason: I love how the natural environment goes with the industrial buildings. The humming of the machines along with the sounds of nature are relaxing to me.

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
-Favorite Map Setting: Rainstorm/Alpine
-Map that contains that setting: Nightfall
-Reason: I have depressive tendencies please help

parkingturtle

L1: Registered
Aug 3, 2015
-Favorite Map Setting: desert
-Map that contains that setting: gullywash
-Reason: Really lightful which makes it very pleasant, the architecture that comes with it is cool (desert -> hot, hot<>cool, joke, fun, woah) and the fact that it somehow inspires me way more than other themes.

NotSoHoriz

L3: Member
May 20, 2016
-Favorite Map Setting: Farmland
-Map that contains that setting: 2Fort
-Reason: I like the sniper sightlines and flank routes. They work too well with the map and its theme.

Okay for real
-Favorite Map Setting: Alpine
-Map that contains that setting: Lumberyard
-Reason: I realy like the nice fresh outdoor theme. It works well with lots of TF2 maps or I like the trainyard theme.

Last edited:

Startacker!

WANT ME TO BE REAL? MAKE ME.
aa
Jun 15, 2013
-Favorite Map Setting: Autumn/Countryside
-Map that contains that setting: koth_harvest, everyone's favorite!
-Reason: Visually pleasing, I like natural looking areas with lots of vegetation.