F.A.Q.: TF2Maps.net Mapping Contest #5

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
AFAIK: Nobody but map-authors should ever download the swamp pack.

It isn't a "shared library" that end-users need, it's simply a resource for mappers to pull from.

Zeewier

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 20, 2008
Can I use props and textures from other valve games?

It is allowed, but you better don't do it. Try to stick with the tf2 theme and feeling.

Well, you can only use the hl2 props and textures that you can find in the tf2 sdk by default. Other valve games like Ep2, L4D and Portal are not allowed.

But since Valve will judge the maps based on TF2 style, you shouldn't them.
Valve only rarely uses HL2 textures. And the reused models are all reskinned.

A lot of TF2 textures are remakes of HL2 textures, so you can either find the texture you found in HL2 in TF2 style or you could ask a texture maker to turn it into TF2 style.

re1wind

aa
Aug 12, 2009
Is it possible to get a heatmap of artpass_valvebase? Does one even exist?

I ask because ,while i can judge the amount of detail an area needs, and despite the sometimes hefty changes being made, a heatmap would be a good reference to further optimize detail density.

Mr. Happy

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 16, 2008
As the amount of custom content in my and others maps grows I'm starting to get worried about uploading everything. With the source files my package will be huge, as will other peoples, and the tf2maps upload is slow (at least for me). The contest closes at the second mark, what if our stuff is still uploading? I'm sure most people will try and submit a day or two earlier but still.

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
As the amount of custom content in my and others maps grows I'm starting to get worried about uploading everything. With the source files my package will be huge, as will other peoples, and the tf2maps upload is slow (at least for me). The contest closes at the second mark, what if our stuff is still uploading? I'm sure most people will try and submit a day or two earlier but still.

I don't think you need to include the raw source files to all your assets, you will just need to be able to supply them.

Unless I'm wrong about that.