F.A.Q.: TF2Maps.net Mapping Contest #5

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Well as you can see i'll incorporate a window there so there is still an upper and lower exit. My concern is that the lack of high ground over the main route will significantly impact on the gameplay in the area. Especially for defence. It'll change the focus from the main route to the houses.

Whether this is bad or good i can't say, it probably doesn't affect balance as it becomes easier for RED to defend the house in question, but harder to defend the main route.

But at the end of the day it does change gameplay, i just really wish the corner wasn't so badly designed from a performance perspective, becuse it's causing a lot of detail to be rendered when it can be easily avoided.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
I've done this
tallbuilding.png

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Actually, adding an extended ledge was my fall back plan, but i'd rather have had it at either extremes.

I'll figure something out in the meantime.

StarvinCannibal

L1: Registered
Jul 16, 2010
If I was going to use someone elses custom content, I know I need to ask the person. But, when when I post my map, do I post a download link to their custom content, just give credit or somehow incorporate their content files into my map file?

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
If I was going to use someone elses custom content, I know I need to ask the person. But, when when I post my map, do I post a download link to their custom content, just give credit or somehow incorporate their content files into my map file?

Do what they ask is probably best. If all they want is credit in the thread, then just do that, if they would like a download link in the thread, do that.
And use PackBSP or PakRat to add the custom content to your map.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008

If your map is chosen as the winner, you will need to provide the source files for materials in question. Therefore you will need the permission of the artist and that person will also have to fork over the source files. Make sure they've got the source materials.

StarvinCannibal

L1: Registered
Jul 16, 2010
If your map is chosen as the winner, you will need to provide the source files for materials in question. Therefore you will need the permission of the artist and that person will also have to fork over the source files. Make sure they've got the source materials.

Okay, this is a newbie mapper question, I guess. :blushing:

But... I've never made or used custom content in a map. How would I go about obtaining their source files, then if my map wins; sending the source files to Valve?

Also how do I make their content available for use in Source SDK? Or would that be the same as getting the source files?

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
(Man, that Thanks button is right where I go for quoting...)

If your map is chosen as the winner, you will need to provide the source files for materials in question.

I might have a slight issue there. I've got a texture I created that I no longer have the original input file to, all I have (after an OS reinstall) is the VTF I had to re-extract out of the map I was working on (which I did backup).

I don't think it'll be a problem, but I'm not sure.

Swordz

L5: Dapper Member
Jun 27, 2009
What should we do when we finish the map? Post the .bsp or just a bunch of screenshots?

Draco18s

Sep 19, 2009
So it's come up:

The Swamp Theme is not currently part of the TF2 client, but the install exe only adds the texutres/models if you've installed and run the SDK. The models aren't compiled into the BSPs for the official Swamp Theme maps, so how do the clients get the models and textures?

If the Swamp Pack is considered "official material" for the contest, does this mean that my submission should not include those models and textures in the BSP when I do upload it?

Or....?

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
You only need to include models that are used in your map. You can pack them into your bsp using pakrat, which means no additional files are required to be downloaded into the model/materials directory's etc.

If you don't use them, don't include them.
If you do, pakrat them.

The swamp theme is not an official pack for this contest, it is just a pack made by this community that is free game for this contest.

edit:

What should we do when we finish the map? Post the .bsp or just a bunch of screenshots?

An upoad thread will be made closer to the deadline. Paste a link to your maps upload url (tf2maps or dropbox) there when the time comes.

Usually we don't allow screen shots so that players are not tempted to judge the maps by the limited screen shots provided with the bsp, so that people actually play the map and get the full experience (soundscapes etc).

Last edited:

Draco18s

Sep 19, 2009
Ok, just wanted to check.

Edit:
Oh, any idea why the Swamp Map Theme Pack Maps don't have the models compiled into the BSPs?

Last edited:

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Because they come with the swamp pack and it's assumed if you're looking at them you have it installed?

Draco18s

Sep 19, 2009
Because yes: if I'm installing the swamp pack to map I want the maps.
And not because: if I run a server I want the maps.

(Hint: people who run servers like maps. The fact that the swamp maps don't have their models compiled in is why none of the swamp maps are ever played on any server anywhere.)

Draco18s

Sep 19, 2009
Umm... the maps from the swamp pack do have the content embedded...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/98931/pics/swampmaps.png

It would be nonsense to not do so.

Friend of mine installed one on his server last night and was unable to view any of the swamp props or textures. I didn't join him at the time, but when he was running my artpass map I wasn't seeing any of them either even though I have them installed on my client.

Nov 14, 2009
But you didnt pakrat/packbsp them into the map. Any respectable mapper will do that with all of their custom props/textures into the map so anyone can run it.

If you see them even if the Swamp pack is installed, it is likely YOU did something wrong. Did you compile with the props visgroup off?