F.A.Q.: TF2Maps.net Mapping Contest #5

Jan 20, 2010
I agree with Ace's point. There's a vague line that I'm, personally, unsure where it is and when I will cross it. The admins have done their best to describe this line, but it's really not gotten any less blurry. We really need some better explanation then what we have right now. It's probably too much to ask, but it would be nice if someone from Valve could come here and answer some questions. If they're judging it, they probably have the best grasp on what they expect. At the same time, Valve is probably expecting the TF2M Admins to run this without their help.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Hrm, I posted this in Ravidge's map thread, but I should have posted it here. Sorry, bit pompous to quote myself, but:

You place a single crate or barrel somewhere, you've changed the gameplay by adding a sentry spot, a spy/pyro ambush spot, or a way for a scout to jump a little higher. You add a doorway frame and you've changed how far a sniper has to move to shoot out of it and still have cover. You add a cave roof and you've changed how far a soldier can rocket jump. Lower a displacement slightly to match a texture and now people take fall damage landing on it from the ledge above.

Hell, just a texture or lighting change makes a huge difference in what classes or teams can hide where.

You can NOT add art to a map without changing the gameplay.

I think this is very important to remember. You can't shy away from gameplay changes; even apparently minor props can have a significant unintended change. Don't worry about it. Detail away, remove the extreme stuff later.

Kep

Dec 25, 2007
Just for the sake of clarification: Since my username is long (artpass_velvetfistironglove is too long for a map name, causes cubemaps and things to fail), I trust it is acceptable to abbreviate to artpass_velvetfist?

RaVaGe

aa
Jun 23, 2010
Hrm, I posted this in RaVaGe's map thread, but I should have posted it here. Sorry, bit pompous to quote myself, but:

I think this is very important to remember. You can't shy away from gameplay changes; even apparently minor props can have a significant unintended change. Don't worry about it. Detail away, remove the extreme stuff later.

Kep

:p

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
I trust it is acceptable to abbreviate to artpass_velvetfist?

If it isn't acceptable, someone needs to be beaten with a mackerel.

I think the main point was to get people to (A) make it clear in the name who did it and (B) prevent multiple contestants from picking the same name.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
What there is to discuss? For one thing: Who will take charge? Wouldn't want this to end up like the ctf contest.
For example, who will take charge? Valve can't, for obvious reasons, but who then? zpq seems like an obvious choice to me, but someone needs to make sure that there is a line that cannot be crossed.

Well DrP has been in constant contact with Corey about the finer details of this contest, especially the rules regarding site staff. But it would be unfair for Valve/Corey to have to look at a whole bunch of images and decide case by case; which is the only realistic way of looking at specific modifications.

Nine and ZPQ are DrP's henchman right now and will be the only ones for the duration of the contest. So pick any of those 3 and assume they have this thing by the reigns.

It seems the only clear reply to our questions is "don't go adding or removing doors, additional routes or moving entire existing pathways". Moving stuff like doors or windows is OK but should probably be considered carefully before executed and only done as a resort.

Last edited:

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Do I name the map with my original Steam username? Or my username on here?

In my not-administrator opinion, if you upload it to tf2maps, use your tf2maps username so everyone understands who-did-what. If you just work entirely on your own then it doesn't really matter.

I suspect the naming isn't a super-serious-uberrequirement, it's just to keep people from polluting the "namespace" of TF2 with abandoned/losing projects that take up names and to help organize things for judges etc.

shatty

L1: Registered
Mar 12, 2009
If things are available to download in the models and textures forum, do we still have to ask permission? Or can we just assume since that they are available for download that permission is already granted?

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
Nothing in those packs are "custom". They are all stock content. So yes.

It was unclear looking it over. It did a lot of things and I wasn't sure if there was custom content or just content re-arrangement.

Thanks.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
rarr.jpg

Someone please tell me removing this ledge is acceptable. It's driving me nuts now i'm in the optimisation phase for area 1.

It's a fairly decent defencable position for the "main" route, but removing it makes optimising the area so much easier.

Jan 20, 2010
I'd say no, grazr. It's a bit too important, I'd think, in terms of gameplay.