Engineer Update: Day Two

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
It's sort of assumed that the one controlling the sentry is dead at that point (because the spy sneaked behind him and killed him, as that's what spies do. :p)

It depends on the location. I've had times when a disguised spy has run right up to me in plain sight, sapped the sentry, and whipped around and backstabbed me before I could fire enough shots to kill him even though I started shooting him the moment I saw him approaching and suspected he was a spy. So basically this gives sentry campers a sappable submachine gun to replace their pistol.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
So basically this gives sentry campers a sappable submachine gun to replace their pistol.

Not forgetting that when controlling your sentry gun you can spy check with it.

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
I think that Upwards is gonna have Badwater syndrome - ie look fairly crud and have a bad explosion for a month or so, and then be updated based on player feedback and have loads more detail. I remember them saying they release maps in a sort of beta state before releasing a "final".

Also i'm interested to see how the Wrangler affects spies :D

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
I think that Upwards is gonna have Badwater syndrome - ie look fairly crud and have a bad explosion for a month or so, and then be updated based on player feedback and have loads more detail. I remember them saying they release maps in a sort of beta state before releasing a "final".

Also i'm interested to see how the Wrangler affects spies :D

I'd guess it'll be easy backstabbings, since you'll be concentrating on your sentry fire and when you get killed it won't be able to protect itself due to the cooldown.

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
Iikka is awesome. Doublecross looks great, and the sewer is some awesome displacing. But the layout's not good. But then again, he made Badlands, which is by far the best 5cp map.

But Dario's better. Goldrush and Badwater are, for some reason, so much fun. Even if they are Defender-friendly.

But Riller is awesome. Lumberyard is a surprisingly good Arena map for its layout, and Gorge is nice in a small game.

So if either Riller or Iikka made this, it's probably Decent.

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Dustbowl is a horrible vanilla map that has seen 3 seperate updates to fix it's balance/stalemate issues.

It's one of the closest ports of a TFC map (besides maybe 2fort) and it's horrible gameplay proves just that. Dustbowl is just choke point spam and sentry nests.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
But Dario's better. Goldrush and Badwater are, for some reason, so much fun. Even if they are Defender-friendly. And Dustbowl is the best Vanilla TF2 map.

Why does it not surprise me that the same guy made Dustbowl and Gold Rush...

Ninjilla

L420: High Member
Sep 13, 2008
Only the fifth PL map? Only? There are 3 push CP maps, and a handful of A/D maps, this must be rectified in my opinion :(

sniprpenguin

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 14, 2008
Yukon and Fastlane are customs turned official. While they have the honor of being Valve-like in quality, they're not Valve, if that makes sense. Valve maps just have that extra quality of being highly refined through near-constant playtesting. That, and usually the detailing is (was) above and beyond most of what we can do.

And actually, wasn't there word that they WERE working on another 5CP map? I could've sworn they were supposedly working on one alongside the beta. :unsure:

Ninjilla

Sep 13, 2008
Yukon and Fastlane are customs turned official. While they have the honor of being Valve-like in quality, they're not Valve, if that makes sense. Valve maps just have that extra quality of being highly refined through near-constant playtesting. That, and usually the detailing is (was) above and beyond most of what we can do.

And actually, wasn't there word that they WERE working on another 5CP map? I could've sworn they were supposedly working on one alongside the beta. :unsure:

Yeah, I meant made by Valve. Sorry for the mix up, I should have clarified that.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Doublecross looks great, and the sewer is some awesome displacing. But the layout's not good. But then again, he made Badlands

You have to admit both of them are from the same basic "bridge over lower route" mold.

Ninjilla

Sep 13, 2008
I'd say Badlands uses the bridge over lower route much better though. I personally don't find doublecross attractive at all, detail wise or gameplay (when I first played it I thought it was a bad custom map)