Dixie22 (Stage 2)

CP Dixie22 (Stage 2) a10

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
Idolon submitted a new resource:

Dixie22 (Stage 2) - You gave offense defenders advantage do you even know how to make a map?

The second stage of a 3 stage CP map. See main thread / stage 1 here.

This stage is a bit experimental. A is divided by a few walls in the middle of the capzone, B is divided by a moving sawblade, and C is a riff on Gorge. Also, the map is constantly downhill for blue, which is something I've always wanted to make work ever since I got yelled at for doing it back in like 2013.

Read more about this resource...

Last edited:

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
a1 test notes (forgot to write this up earlier):

A got a lot of positive feedback. At one point a red player blocked blue's capture by hiding in a corner. This corner is created by a piece of cover that I decided doesn't need to exist anymore, so I've removed it to try and prevent this in the future. The water route worked more or less as expected, though the fact that it requires a 180 from blue team means it is probably seeing less use than it could. I expect this route to get more traffic as people learn the map. Despite giving blue many height advantages, red was generally able to hold onto it for a while.

B is definitely the weaker part of the map. It's a bit of a meatgrinder, which last points tend to be, but a lot of players saw the main route to the point as a death trap. The flanks were fun to navigate and provided good positional advantages for blue, though some players found it difficult to navigate. To help alleviate the meatgrinder issue, I plan on enlarge the whole point area to provide a bit more breathing room. I will also move the capzone closer to blue so there is a bit more capture zone on their side of the saw.

a2 test notes:

No real changes to A, so not too much to report. I saw pyros using the neon annihilator, which was nice. Snipers held forward on the roof to the side of the point, which I did not anticipate. It is probably too strong of a position - I think it will be effectively nerfed if blue players get a safer route to the flank so that they can attack the sniper.

Making everything larger at B definitely made it play a bit better, though it is still a meatgrinder. The balcony route over the main choke proved to make it too difficult for red players to hold forward on the main choke. This upper route was deliberately left exposed to make it an unsafe route for blue (as it is very easy to hit them with splash damage, and there is no cover from bullets), but I think enclosing it is a better idea so that red can put more pressure on the choke.

One undocumented change was that I moved red's spawn points closer to the route behind the point rather than to the side of the point - I wanted red to approach the point more often facing directly at blue rather than coming from around a corner, as I thought this would help make saw gameplay more relevant, and also make it a bit easier for blue players to attack red players who are on the point. This kind of worked, but balancing around this seems risky, as players will continue to learn the map over time, and may figure out that leaving through the "main" spawn door is simply a better way to defend. I'll move the spawn points back.

One last point that was raised is that B's defense relies a lot on sentries. I'm not too sure about this, but I will keep it in mind for future changes.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
Idolon updated Dixie22 (Stage 2) with a new update entry:

a3

OVERALL:
-

A:
-added sightline blockers to make sniper on roof unable to see literally everyone
-removed funny spawn exit
-rerouted buildings outside of blue spawn to lead players in the correct direction

B:
-enclosed upper balcony route to make red forward holds more viable
-moved red spawn points closer to "main" spawn exit
-added transparent textures in areas to give red team better visibility into flanks, similar to barnblitz last
-reworked main red spawn exit to be more safe
-added...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008

a5

A:
-removed some supports for the bridge because they were clutter / visual noise
-made remaining crossbracing nonsolid to be at least a bit more jumper friendly
-added dropdown in flank to direct blue players towards water route
-moved health/ammo in flank to a higher room to make red forward holds more viable
-added medium health back to flank to give blue somewhat of a forward hold
-added high ground area on inside corner for better red hold
-added small ammo at water route exit for spies...

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
a6 test notes

A
Sometimes this point completely falls apart for red within a minute, and other times red is able to hold on for a little longer. It's pretty inconsistent and hard to diagnose. One theory is that red has a hard time falling back from a forward hold, since they are at a height disadvantage when doing so, so they end up wiping and blue can just walk onto the point without being contested. Red could probably be made more consistent by entirely reworking the approach to the point, but since this is a first point I'm not sure I care that much.

B
The saw gimmick works pretty much exactly how I wanted, with blue players taking cover behind it. However, this seems to make the point feel unfair towards red, and I'm not sure what can really be done about it. I think my best option is to make the area in front of the point red's "main" hold, so that once blue has gotten to the point where they can start capping and taking cover behind the saw, they have already broken through red's main hold. This should balance the point more towards red while also making it feel more fair.

C
This point feels pretty solid and fun, though it evidently is not balanced because red rarely wins. Needs more testing to diagnose.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008

a10

STAGE 2 ONLY

Overall
-changed round start timer from 4:30 to 4:00

A
-changed blue respawnwave time from 3 to 5

B
-moved point 384 units towards blue side so red can more effectively use saw as cover when defending main choke
-added flank to give red a different angle on the choke and give blue a different way into the sawmill
-flattened roof by train tracks into platform for easier red movement
-added platform and cover to red approach
-moved health/ammo in red approach to new platform

C...

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
a10 test notes (skipped some versions because both stages live in the same vmf now)

A
A got held again. Neat! Adjusting blue spawn time probably helped. Will need to see more tests to balance point properly - I have a hunch that engineers might have too much metal to work with.

B
B got held for the first time. Red was holding forward pretty aggressively and blue didn't get much of a forward hold. Might've been a fluke - red team had a couple of players who were scoring way higher than the rest of the team.

C
No notes, pretty much played as expected. The match only reached this point once and blue won, so there's not much data for balance adjustment. Even when blue won, it was a close match, so that's good!