1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

Dev textures

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Pawlakov, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Pawlakov

Pawlakov L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    How to use gray and orange dev textures

2. nightwatch

aa nightwatch

Positive Ratings:
    How I fly as demonstration man

3. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    The same way you'd use any other texture. Search "Dev" in the texture browser to see all of the Dev textures in TF2.

4. Pawlakov

Positive Ratings:
    but have they any special role or meaning? what they mean percents for some textures?

sorry i'm not english (google translator helps me)

5. nightwatch

aa nightwatch

Positive Ratings:
    The grey textures are labelled with percentage values which indicate how well they reflect light. The higher numbers are lighter shades, and the lower numbers are darker shades. Many people on this forum prefer reflectivity 50% because it is easy to look at and provides good contrast with the tf2 models. However, others use darker shades in their map and there is nothing wrong with that, either. It's a personal choice and you might start to like using one over another when you block out maps.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Layl

Layl L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I personally prefer only using the grey and orange squares, just because I can't keep my hands off the textures and stuff ends up textured before I move on anyways, I know it's bad habit but it works for me.

7. Empyre

Empyre L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Make sure to use a different texture on floors and ceilings than on the walls.

8. ics

aa ics http://ics-base.net

Positive Ratings:
    Some people also do not use dev textures at all. Like me.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Pawlakov

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks