Desertion

CP Desertion rc

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
I request baby without changelog. Why should i have to scroll to get to baby? I demand baby in OP.

I enjoyed playing this last night. I dont like having to jump onto the cap, but then it seems that i'm the only person who thinks like that. I also didnt like how hard it was to drive blu off the first point once they first got onto it. Some areas around the route to A were too dark. And the big round building was amazing but looked kinda ridiculously huge. Maybe it's just me, but i kept looking at it and thinking "Fuck, i dont envy you detailing that"

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I think you played a12. In a13, there are ramps onto B. You weren't the only person to think so. I tried it for a few versions and I didn't like it either.

A is a bit harder to take in a13, I think.

The round building is just your pity for me as another mapper.

Zhan

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 18, 2010
Map was really fun when we played it on the impromptu tonight. I disagree with everyone who was saying the balance was off, as it seemed pretty good to me, because RED obviously has a chance of winning.

No complaints about layout.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Gonna take this bad boy into beta.

Map was really fun when we played it on the impromptu tonight. I disagree with everyone who was saying the balance was off, as it seemed pretty good to me, because RED obviously has a chance of winning.

No complaints about layout.
Red does have a great chance of winning. I'm going to fix the spawn so you can pick the door somehow and that'll be it. I might put a one-way door onto blue's balcony, but I hate that kinda stuff so I might just remove it afterward.

Normally when people complain about spawn camping I laugh it off, but they have one door. I'll take a look.

If anyone has last words before I start the betafication, speak now or forever be a dork

Last edited by a moderator:

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Beta releases are going to be WIPs detail wise and focus on minor gameplay changes. Today I release B1!

b1:
blu spawn, blu yard and A building are (mostly) detailed
added a one-way door onto the balcony in the B building
move the ammo/health that was under a ladder by A to higher ground, and filled that area in

http://calcified.net/maps/cp_desertion_b1.bsp.bz2

if you want pictures go look at the WIP thread i am too lazy

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Download cp_desertion_b2

b2:
removed the one-way door to B
changed the cap time on A from 20 seconds to 35
added a small ammo at B
redid red spawn so hopefully it isn't so easy to camp
playerclipped some things
detailed some things
added a custom dogbread model by rexy, placed as an easter egg. try to find it! (this will be in the final release, unlike SOME maps i could name)

You've seen most of this detailing, but tough. This is probably pretty final as far as the buildings go. (Except I used the wrong overlay on the blu spawn DEAL WITH IT)

cp_desertion_b20000.jpg

cp_desertion_b20001.jpg

cp_desertion_b20002.jpg

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Jenkin vs. Jenkin

Also I like your detailing, but this needs to be hugely overscaled and covering and entire wall, the red dirty bomb kart feels odd, and the red corrugated metal on the roof after A feels awkward. Also I found your dogbread.

Last edited:

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Don't tell anyone where it is. Is it too easy?

I mostly just forget to remove the cart.

Last edited by a moderator:

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
cp_desertion_b20000.jpg

Look kind of odd, out from the wall.

cp_desertion_b20001.jpg

Z-fighting,
Tracks sinking,
Odd lighting
Been drinking?

no offence meant, just a rhyme was called for.

cp_desertion_b20002.jpg

I dont like these here, they look too neat and regular (even with the variance). Plus, these fences are designed to prevent stuff falling down cliffs, and so wouldnt just jut out of the top. Either rocks, or another building on the top would be better.

cp_desertion_b20003.jpg

One side of the building more weatherbeaten than the other.

cp_desertion_b20004.jpg

Reminding you.

cp_desertion_b20005.jpg

I dont think this side of the prop was ever meant to be seen, and you can look inside the train and see the undetailed interior. somebody else also posted feedback on how they didnt want to get onto the train, and i think putting a container or something here would solve that.

cp_desertion_b20007.jpg

Kill that setup gate after it opens. It's clearly embedded in the wood. Also, funny shadows on the door base prop.

cp_desertion_b20008.jpg

Overscaled Overlay. Slight prop dissonance (see bottom note)- those benches look too clean.

cp_desertion_b20009.jpg

Gravity's day off. Also, why ship rocks to the top floor there to put them in this chute?

cp_desertion_b20010.jpg

They pushed that minecart so hard it got stuck in the solid rock.

cp_desertion_b20011.jpg

cp_desertion_b20012.jpg

Nonsolid prop. Sneaky spam position.

cp_desertion_b20006.jpg

I dont like the prop dissonance here. The hand-towels, in particular. Is this an unloading bay, with crates, and a shipped-in resupply (which works, btw), but which also has hand-towels on a rail? There seems to be no better reason for them here other than "You find them in spawns".

That's actually something to watch throughout, actually. Some props/overlays just seem...inexplicable. The water barrel near A- why is that there? if A is some kind of mining thing, why do they have a massive water barrel? There's not a scrap of evidence to suggest the blu spawn is a coal company. The rocks that just pile up on a come from the top floor of a building- do they carry them up the stairs first? (Dont remove that elevator, just have another one leading up in the OOB area.

It's kinda the only huge wide-ranging feedback i can give; spend more time thinking "What makes sense here?"

IrishTaxIDriver

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 27, 2008
I have to say, I'm not a fan of blue's spawngates being in solid rock. I'd suggest turning that entire cliff part into part of their building, like Upward or Thunder Mountain or Goldrush.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I have to say, I'm not a fan of blue's spawngates being in solid rock. I'd suggest turning that entire cliff part into part of their building, like Upward or Thunder Mountain or Goldrush.

Probably will just because I don't want to deal with the displacements, though I was gonna add trim.

Look kind of odd, out from the wall.
Fixed this in B3 with detailing, don't you worry. Look in the WIP thread, not too many pages back

Z-fighting,
Tracks sinking,
Odd lighting
Been drinking?

no offence meant, just a rhyme was called for.
Z-fighting will be fixed when I displace things, the tracks too, and the lighting will be fixed in probably the next release

I dont like these here, they look too neat and regular (even with the variance). Plus, these fences are designed to prevent stuff falling down cliffs, and so wouldnt just jut out of the top. Either rocks, or another building on the top would be better.
I agree

One side of the building more weatherbeaten than the other.
Was hoping no one would really notice

Reminding you.
Roger that.

I dont think this side of the prop was ever meant to be seen, and you can look inside the train and see the undetailed interior. somebody else also posted feedback on how they didnt want to get onto the train, and i think putting a container or something here would solve that.
I'm not sure it is a big deal. The person that said that was mocking everyone who wanted to get on that during TF2M tests (she'd come to a few before).

Kill that setup gate after it opens. It's clearly embedded in the wood. Also, funny shadows on the door base prop.
Fixed the door for b3 already, will fix the shadowing.

Overscaled Overlay. Slight prop dissonance (see bottom note)- those benches look too clean.
You think so? I'm just copying Upward, and that's what Upward does.

Gravity's day off. Also, why ship rocks to the top floor there to put them in this chute?
It'll make more sense later, and yes, no supports. I have to figure this one out and I am definitely taking suggestions

They pushed that minecart so hard it got stuck in the solid rock.
It's to remind myself to build a cave.

Nonsolid prop. Sneaky spam position.
You can't shoot through that, but they shouldn't be nonsolid, whoops

I dont like the prop dissonance here. The hand-towels, in particular. Is this an unloading bay, with crates, and a shipped-in resupply (which works, btw), but which also has hand-towels on a rail? There seems to be no better reason for them here other than "You find them in spawns".
Again, Upward does it so I did it

That's actually something to watch throughout, actually. Some props/overlays just seem...inexplicable. The water barrel near A- why is that there? if A is some kind of mining thing, why do they have a massive water barrel? There's not a scrap of evidence to suggest the blu spawn is a coal company. The rocks that just pile up on a come from the top floor of a building- do they carry them up the stairs first? (Dont remove that elevator, just have another one leading up in the OOB area.

It's kinda the only huge wide-ranging feedback i can give; spend more time thinking "What makes sense here?"
I try to. Some stuff is there because it was there in alpha. It's not done, that's the biggest thing; I've been using betas to test timers and pickups more than present detailing, which I know is unusual but I'm still glad you posted this.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Having issues with compiling lately, but B3 is coming soon, and it's fully detailed also. Well, for the most part. I'm sure something could always use sprucing up. Whenever I turn the ground into displacements and replace what was there with a nodraw skeleton, vvis takes a huge shit all over everything. But otherwise the map is great!

Kotwh.jpg

XVbAr.jpg

HDR looks nice.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
That chute/gravel pile actually doesn't seem to make sense to me. Why are they dumping dirt right next to the platform in a loose pile on the open floor?

I see the tracks so obviously carts go there and they shovel? the dirt into carts from below.

Maybe you can rearrange so the chute is over the cart area so most of the dirt would actually end up inside them.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Download cp_desertion_b3

b3:
vastly increased the level of detail
modified the placement or size of almost every health and ammo pickup
hdr
better clipping in a lot of spots
added more easter eggs, some more hidden than others

After this I need to build a proper 3D skybox (read: any 3D skybox at all). Depending on how b3 goes, the next version could be rc1!

Relevant shots of newly detailed areas:

cp_desertion_b30005.jpg

cp_desertion_b30006.jpg

cp_desertion_b30007.jpg

I'll update the first post once image uploading isn't broken anymore