Desertion

CP Desertion rc

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
7KdSa.png

read

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
What exactly do you want me to do there?

That image is from a -staticproppolys -staticproplighting compile. To get that crate to look less stupid I might just need to change the origin...? There's a pallet under that right-hand crate which has a similar issue.

I've read that nodraw article like fifty thousand times btw. Probably one of the more useful lighting guides I've read.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
There's a rock on upward that does the same thing. Sometimes, you can't help it.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I don't know. I kind of assumed moving the origin would move where VRAD thinks the crate is entirely, but maybe with -staticproplighting all that is ignored.

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
I don't know. I kind of assumed moving the origin would move where VRAD thinks the crate is entirely, but maybe with -staticproplighting all that is ignored.

using staticprops lighting you'd need to disable prop vertex lighting on the prop itself to make it use an origin position once again. (i'm fairly sure that's the key value that overrides it)

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
If I removed the train in BLU spawn would anyone get mad at me

TRICK QUESTION im going to do it anyway

AxiomaticFrood

L1: Registered
Aug 18, 2010
What's that!? You're going to remove the train I've told you to remove ever time I've played the map! NEVER.

*grumble*

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
cp_desertion_b5

cp_desertion_b50007.jpg

cp_desertion_b50008.jpg

cp_desertion_b50010.jpg

cp_desertion_b50011.jpg

cp_desertion_b50012.jpg

cp_desertion_b50013.jpg

cp_desertion_b50014.jpg

b5:
clipping
optimizing
added a 3d skybox
increased the level of detail
lighting adjustments
timer adjustments
miscellaneous crap
a lot of stuff i dont remember

I like this map for the most part, and I am happy with how it turned out. That being said, B5 is almost certainly the last version. I may recompile as _rc1 later, to fix some inevitable bug or clipping error, but this it it: the end. I'm done. Desertion was my first serious map, or at least my first decent serious map, and I learned a lot. I can only hope my future projects are half as playable.

Thanks to everyone who made something I used (list in the first post), people that encouraged me, praised the map, and generally gave feedback. The positive reaction when people play this for the first time is overwhelming.

Sometime soon I'll make a flythrough or have one made and post that.

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
I got to say that this looks good but is not really that ready for RC yet, first of all, there is a lot of places where there is suddenly two textures and themes colliding suddenly, it doesn't really look good and just makes you go "wut"

Best example of this is in your most recent screenshots:

cp_desertion_b50013.jpg

Suddenly there is spytech computer room textures middle of tall warehouse style of building with spytech chair in it, it doesn't fit, it just comes off really strange.

Also that big round roof on top of main building looks very, very ugly because it repeats the same hole pattern all over the place, some variety would be nice.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Awesome. Desertion and Zig are my two favourite maps in this contest; and since Rexy has an unlimited supply of custom assets to help win me over, this one is definitely a winner. Plays awesome, looks awesome, is awesome. I love your industrial detailing.

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/813382/TF2/Contest6/timeleft.html
Hey look at that. 13 days and some odd hours left! You know what that means! That's right, clipchecking time, yay! I shall clipcheck Desertion for you free of charge*

Because I cannot do replays on listen servers, I will do classic clipchecking with screenshots, posted to this thread before the 7 Days Left mark approaches. If you hate my usual methods of a large post of screenshots and really want a video, I'll look into Procaster but I've been having issues with it saving the entire recordings that I do.

I will only clipcheck your map when it is detailed to a point that includes displaced cliffs and ground, overhanging roofs, supports to hold up buildings, etc. If you map has reached this stage, then you're good to go. If you have yet to release a version of your map that you would like clipchecked, you may let me know through PM here or on Steam - I'm in the chatroom all the time - and either tell me when to expect it or give me an unpacked quick compiled version of what you've got and I can do that.

Clipchecking time's the best time of the year.

*though I appreciate a mention in thread OPs and if the map ever becomes official I would probably bother you to get a cent for each 98 you earn, but that's just me being selfish and beside the point. This is a joke, laugh at it, don't take me seriously

Last edited:

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
I think i should let you know A needs work, here is some issues:

- Too much metal, engineer can quickly set all sentries up once they are down.
- One sentry can cover whole area and all doorways to the room, and this is bad.
- A could use some minor flanking route that is not all smashed up onto one same area as all other doorways.
- There is sightline from blue spawn to A platform.

evanonline

L420: High Member
Mar 15, 2009
http://steamcommunity.com/id/evang7/screenshot/578922800374670393?tab=public
Texture error up here, pretty noticeable.
And to second the sentiment:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/evang7/screenshot/578922800374671961/?tab=public
I feel the detailing here is really jarring, it feels very sudden and out of place. You just suddenly go to Spytech from the outside and it's the only room in the building aside from the spawn that is detailed this way. It'd be as simple as retexturing the room to fix it. :)

I haven't played it seriously enough to give any decent gameplay critique. I've had fun playing on it though!