Deliverance

Deliverance b3

Aug 23, 2008
Well, as a drop down path there's risk inherent in taking it if you don't know what's waiting for you. Higher risk, higher potential reward (bypassing spawn with an easy route).

Part of the problem I'm trying to counter is that almost nobody uses that path, and I'm not sure people are even really aware of it.

I think those stairs look good. They also add a new scout route to bypass heavier attackers in the middle (the scout doubles back to get up top again).

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007

ALPHA 6
* Added stairs on the lower left side of mid to facilitate getting up to the drop-down path to the capture area.
* Added a lower passage from the bottom of the hill at the base junction around and into the building there.
* Fixed some clipping issues.

ctf_deliverance_a60000.jpg

Okrag

Wall Staples
aa
Jun 10, 2009
That's by design. One of the map's goals is hard to turtle, easy to intercept. A static defense can still be effective, but only as a delaying tactic.

Still, it seems that one of the main points of interception would be there, if it weren't for the fact that you can make it to the point from the ledge.

Aug 23, 2008
Still, it seems that one of the main points of interception would be there, if it weren't for the fact that you can make it to the point from the ledge.

You intercept by standing in the doorway of the capture or rocket jumping on them as they land on the platform. Not that hard, and very comp viable.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
My favorite detail aspect is the high outcroppings of rocks. I want to see a lot of that action in the skybox!

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007

ALPHA 7
* Changed the structure in the middle, removing the top pillars and replacing them with shorter barriers.
* Moved the railings around on the spawn bridge to mitigate a potentially powerful sentry spot.
* Removed the clipping directly over the shacks on the mountains. (May revert if that becomes too powerful a position for soldiers/demos).
* Added a few more detail elements.

ctf_deliverance_a70000.jpg

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
As was stated in the test, adding a 10 second delay between returns would help teams push back after being divided. Also, a bad texture here:
7ede00ctfdeliverancea700.jpg

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Nonsense! That mountain is the center of the whole park, not simply the rafting ride.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
It was interesting seeing the map played 16vs16 the other day. It did seem like it was prone to stalemating with that many players, but at least the action remained dynamic, ranging back and forth across the map, rather than turning into a 2fort style turtlefest.

I'm not really sure if anything can be done though to make it more friendly to the higher playercount without breaking 6vs6 play though. I really wish it were possible to detect how many players were on the map and trigger changes accordingly.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
A giant trigger_multiple spanning the entire map and some math_counters could do the trick?

Owlruler

L12: Fabulous Member
Dec 10, 2008
? Trigger brush with the name 'game_playerjoin; and an output 'OnUse -> MathCounter -> Add -> 1'?

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
Well, here are the problems that any potential solution would face:

1) Active players is not the same as connected players (you wouldn't want the map to change just because half of one team died).

2) What goes up must come down. There has to be a way to tell when players leave the server just as much as when they join it.

3) What goes down must come up. Any mechanism based on physical contact is going to get triggered again when a player respawns.